Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th May 2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default SW USA skull cracker genuine??

I have wanted one of these for a long time. Always fears about this stuff, too high prices for not rare things. I got this at a sensible price. It is not a long one 60cm long. The club haft and stone are covered in raw hide then a loop of softer leather round the stone and just onto the top of the haft. Remarkably the bead work is compete but there are small areas were the sinue thread is very thin and has become loose and rather delicate. It was said to have come from an old collection {aren't they all } However I could well believe this did. Not necessary from any of the major Southwest conflicts in the closing dacades of the 19th century. Perhaps reservation work? I say this because the stone has had many hours work. Look carefully and you can see that the stone is not only pointed as one would expect but also wedge shaped with slight hollow ground side. Believe me this has taken some time to do. I think there is traces of some form of red piant on the stone. The dirt and grime in the bead work compare well to old African bead work that I have. Sadly I do not have the photographic ability to show this. Anyway I would not like to be hit with it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 12th May 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Blacksmith

Default stoneclub

Hi, I was just thinking that the leather looks quite `bright`on the sides. Should it be a little more darker/patinated where the bead work ends if been an antique piece? I myself have made these clubs a couple and with a stone grinder it takes two hours to make the head, if not using natural stone. Willow for the handle and wet raw hide wrapped around the handle and the head, sewn together and when dried it will hold the head firmly on place. Smoked above fire and you have an autenthic looking skull crasher. I can send some pictures if anyone interested.
Regards, Timo
ps. not saying this would be a recent one.
Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Is this dark engough? The club head is a brown colouerd limestone. This thread gives me a chance to show off my limestone carving. If you stood at a grinding wheel working the club stone with a good water supply then I suppose it would only take a few unpleasant hours. The bead work would slow you down just a little, all sewn with very fine sinew. If I had made it as a repro piece I would want a jolly lot more than I paid for it!!!!

I would love to see what you have made.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 12th May 2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Correcting my ridiculus spelling
Old 27th May 2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

As I rather like to fiddle with pieces of stone I felt compelled to research the club stone. What I have found was a surprise. The seller may well have been telling the truth about the item coming from an old SW collection. The stone is known as Dense brown limestone in Arkansas and Louisiana or as shale in Texas and Arizona, which I thought was quite interssting. It dose not have the same shell inclusions as the white limestone I am familiar with but has the same hardness when tested.
Old 30th May 2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Blacksmith

Default skull cracker

Hi, really nice bowl! Demands a lot of work, I know! I `ll send some pictures what I have made, a couple of skull crackers and some carved pipe heads.
Regards, Timo
Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote