Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th May 2017, 10:09 PM   #1
Yvain

Default Presentation, and a sword for your appreciation

Hello everyone !

After lurking for some times, I decided to register to this goldmine of informations !

I'm a general old weapons enthousiast since I was 13 or 14, now 23 and doing a master in medieval history. Since I don't have a job (yet) my finances are somewhat limited and most pieces in my collection are either lucky finds or weird things.

I decided some times ago to take a more "scientific" approach to this hobby and that's how I found this forum.

I apologise in advance if my english is somewhat flimsy, as I'm French.

Now, for the sword part, here is one in my collection that I was enable to identify, looks somewhat vietnamese or Thai, but I'm surely wrong.

The construction is pretty sturdy, the spine of the blade is very thick, it's full tang, the scales are of unidentified wood and the guard seems to be made out of aluminium. There's a fuller on only one side of the blade. It's a somewhat short sword but I can't mesure it right now (I study in Paris and I leave my weapons at my parents' house).

Does anyone here happens to know what this is and/or when it was made ?

I also plan on cleaning it a bit, and to get ridd of that ugly varnish.

Thanks in advance !
Attached Images

Yvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvain
Hello everyone !

After lurking for some times, I decided to register to this goldmine of informations !

I'm a general old weapons enthousiast since I was 13 or 14, now 23 and doing a master in medieval history. Since I don't have a job (yet) my finances are somewhat limited and most pieces in my collection are either lucky finds or weird things.

I decided some times ago to take a more "scientific" approach to this hobby and that's how I found this forum.

I apologise in advance if my english is somewhat flimsy, as I'm French.

Now, for the sword part, here is one in my collection that I was enable to identify, looks somewhat vietnamese or Thai, but I'm surely wrong.

The construction is pretty sturdy, the spine of the blade is very thick, it's full tang, the scales are of unidentified wood and the guard seems to be made out of aluminium. There's a fuller on only one side of the blade. It's a somewhat short sword but I can't mesure it right now (I study in Paris and I leave my weapons at my parents' house).

Does anyone here happens to know what this is and/or when it was made ?

I also plan on cleaning it a bit, and to get ridd of that ugly varnish.

Thanks in advance !
Salaams Yvain ~ It certainly rings a bell as being a DAO so you may be right...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 03:50 PM   #3
mariusgmioc

Welcome to the forum!

The very simple and robust construction, and the serial number punched on the guard points towards a military issue. The shape of the blade and guard, make me think about Vietnam.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Yvain

Quote:
The very simple and robust construction, and the serial number punched on the guard points towards a military issue.
That's what I thought, but I'm unable to find any military that used this kind of swords. The only close one I found was from a closed auction and was described as practical fighting vietnamese guom from 1887 (see picture). Almost looks like the design was taken from this for my sword and made into a military saber, but again, can't find any army sword matching this one.

Thanks for the answers anyway !
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2017, 06:20 PM   #5
ariel

The fact that instead of a mekugi it has rivets, makes me think of Korea.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 12:38 AM   #6
kronckew

i have a friend who had a few similar swords pass thru him a while back, they were from SE asia anyhow. he says they are from Java or Sumatra, 1900 to ww2 date, could be anytime from 1900 onward. this is one of them below, with an aluminum guard like yours too. grip on it is full exposed tang with grip slabs & rivets, wrapped, under that is much like yours. appears they were made in the style of a katana, with local embellishments. no bohi (fuller) on this one. aluminum was in common use by then in the area as electricity became more common.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 04:09 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Yvain:

My first thought on seeing your short sword was a Nipponized adaptation of a western style sword or bayonet, in much the same way that the Marachausseesabel was adapted by the Japanese in Indonesia during WWII to produce the heiho knife.

However, the blade is not one that is obviously KNIL--neither the Dutch klewang nor kapmes (bayonet) would fit. Your blade is unusual in that the fuller is only on one side. Also, the hilt seems unusually long, at least for a western style bayonet or sword.

Japanese occupation of China, Manchuria, Korea, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, etc. before and during WWII, with adaptation of a local military weapon, seem possible sources. For the reasons noted above, I don't think this one is of Dutch origin.

Look forward to hearing what others have to say.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 04:24 PM   #8
Yvain

Thanks Ian !

There is definitly some kind japanese "flavor" to it, if I might say so.

And, indeed, the hilt is really long for a sword that short, I can comfortably fit both hands on it. Considering that, the width of the spine and the full tang construction, I think you could deal some serious blow with it. I think this effective and simple design is what makes me love it so much !
Old 16th May 2017, 06:11 PM   #9
Sajen

Hello Yvain,

my first thought was China or Vietnam but all statements before are good as mine.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 07:52 PM   #10
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Yvain,

my first thought was China or Vietnam but all statements before are good as mine.

Regards,
Detlef
I agree but gut feeling says Vietnamese, no Habuki.
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 04:17 PM   #11
sakimori

Very interesting sword.It makes me remind of Japanese"heiho"short swords as well.The only thing I can be certain about is that I never seen something like this in China,so would be vote for SE asia....not being helpful,I guess.Would be great if some knowledgeble member would supplements the information.
sakimori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 08:11 PM   #12
Yvain

Well lot of interesting thoughts here,thank you all !

I'm actually surprised that it is somewhat unique, I thought it was only my lack of knowledge that prevented me to know what it was !

Might post some of my other oddballs as well then !
Old 19th May 2017, 06:19 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvain
Well lot of interesting thoughts here,thank you all !

I'm actually surprised that it is somewhat unique, I thought it was only my lack of knowledge that prevented me to know what it was !

Might post some of my other oddballs as well then !
That's the whole deal here, we all learn together, just as with your interesting example! By all means, bring them on!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote