Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th May 2017, 02:01 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default Maghreb Flask and Quran Box

Just picked these two items up as "a pair". The flask is I think Algerian and the Quran Box (described as seems usual as a "Bullet Box") likely from the same region.
Comments welcome, and also can anyone translate the back panels of the Quran Box please?
Stu
Attached Images

Last edited by kahnjar1; 8th May 2017 at 06:16 AM.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams Khanjar 1 ~ The box with the script sees a repeat pattern on the lid and on the main body of the same writing...which appear to be various incantations to God... I have a Moroccan on the team who will confirm this later... meanwhile excellent photographs ...

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 01:07 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Taking the lid writing from the top as...Allah Mohammed Rasul Allah and in the square box ~ The 4 corners decorated in geometric figure 5 hand of Fatima geometry. The top row second square says Bismillah. The second row first square says Al Rehman. The central square repeats what is on the lid except for a strange crossed X which we dont understand...maybe a mistake? The second row 3rd square says Allah.The 3rd row second square also says Allah.

I hope that is sufficient.
Old 9th May 2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Kubur

They are blessing for the bullets, in the bullet box
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 08:38 PM   #5
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Taking the lid writing from the top as...Allah Mohammed Rasul Allah and in the square box ~ The 4 corners decorated in geometric figure 5 hand of Fatima geometry. The top row second square says Bismillah. The second row first square says Al Rehman. The central square repeats what is on the lid except for a strange crossed X which we dont understand...maybe a mistake? The second row 3rd square says Allah.The 3rd row second square also says Allah.

I hope that is sufficient.
Thank you Ibrahiim. I suspected that it would be just "words" or maybe short quotes from the Quran. Seems to be the former.
Stu
Old 9th May 2017, 08:39 PM   #6
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
They are blessing for the bullets, in the bullet box
You sure about that? This is a Quran holder, not a bullet box..........
Old 15th May 2017, 10:53 AM   #7
motan

Default Beautiful!

Hi Kahnjar1. Missed this post somehow. One thing others have failed to mention is that these objects, whether bullet box or Koraan box, are beautiful and seem to have some age too. The hangers on the box show resemblance to those of Koummyas and unlike anything Algerian I have seen, so I would opt for Moroccan origin.
motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 03:05 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by motan
Hi Kahnjar1. Missed this post somehow. One thing others have failed to mention is that these objects, whether bullet box or Koraan box, are beautiful and seem to have some age too. The hangers on the box show resemblance to those of Koummyas and unlike anything Algerian I have seen, so I would opt for Moroccan origin.

I agree with you on Moroccan although the two styles are remarkably similar ...and since they are close neighbours. The Algerian form seems to use polychrome enamel and a comparison in general terms may be seen at https://en.expertissim.com/quran-box...ntury-12227041 ... Anyway when I was in Morocco I saw several items like this...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 15th May 2017, 08:26 PM   #9
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by motan
Hi Eytan,
It was the flask I was referring to as Algerian, though of course the countries are side by side. Elgood attributes these flasks to Algeria though the hangers as you mention are typical of Moroccan style as seen on the Koumyya. Although as mentioned above, the seller called these "a pair" they very possibly are not.
Stu