Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th May 2005, 04:12 AM   #1
Aurangzeb

Default Lebanese / Syrian Dagger

Greetings To All Forum Members,

Depicted is a recent find that I suspect may either be of Lebanese or Syrian origin based on it's appearance. The hilt is made od of black plastic with colored plastic inlay. The sheath and part of the dagger are made of cast brass plated with silver. The sheath exhibits two zinc loop rings. I was wondering if this would be worn like a Moroccan Koummya ? On the front of the sheath, there is what appears to be Arabic script. If anyone can assist in it's translation it would be most appreciated. At the throught of the dagger sheath there is a cardboard or leather insert. I believe this to be a 'touist dagger' possibly from the '40's or 50's but handmade. Any input would be most welcomed and appreciated !

Thank you in advance for any assistance any of you may be able to provide !

Mark... seven11@epix.net..
Attached Images

Aurangzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2005, 02:00 PM   #2
Aurangzeb

Hi all!

I belive the writing on the sheath translates to"allah",but this is only a guess.

Can anyone help me with it's origens as either Syrian or Lebanese.

Please any help whould be appreciated

Last edited by Aurangzeb; 21st May 2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 21st May 2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Justin

I think I have mainly seen these billed as Lebonese and the ones with mosaic hilts billed from Syria but I suspect that both of these may very well come from both places.

Here is a majdali dagger from Syria to illustrate:
Attached Images

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2005, 06:06 PM   #4
derek

Hi Justin,

The example you show is from the Golan Heights area. Many were made during the French occupation of Syria (1941-46), but they are still made for sale to tourists. I have owned a few of the older ones and they usually have some kind of poem in arabic on the blade, frequently "funny" but with violent intent. It would take a while to dig up some translations but they were all along the same lines. It reminds me of the poems or phrases on Mexican knives.

The first knife here is from the same general region, but would probably be recognized as a completely different style locally.

-d
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2005, 11:01 PM   #5
Aurangzeb

Hi all!

Thanks for helping me fighure out which of the two countries it was from. I wonder if the three stars mean anything? Perhaps the 3 stars on the old syrian flag,not the 2 star one of today.

Last edited by Aurangzeb; 21st May 2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 21st May 2005, 11:18 PM   #6
derek

Three stars like the old flag sounds likely, but I don't know. I did find one of my old pics with an assortment from the same area.
Attached Images

derek is offline   Reply With Quote