Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th January 2020, 03:56 PM   #1
RSWORD

Default Opinions on Javanese Keris

Looking for some opinions on this Keris. Is there any specific meaning or symbolism to the gold patterns on the blade? Also, the scabbard seems unusual with the belt clip and chape. Also, the use of tortoiseshell strips on both sides seems out of the norm. Thank you in advance for sharing comments.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2020, 03:57 PM   #2
RSWORD

Some additional photos of the scabbard.
Attached Images

Old 30th January 2020, 06:54 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Rick. That is both a very unusual blade and an unusual sheath. In fact i have never seen anything quite like that sheath. It is quite beautiful and seems to be skillfully constructed.
As to your first question i can say that without a doubt there is specific meaning and symbolism to the patterns on the blade. The real question is not whether there is meaning, but what exactly it is and i am afraid that i cannot say for sure. I can say the in multiple cultures around the world we see this circle with equilateral cross symbol. Generally it is considered a solar symbol in all those cultures and often the cross, with it's 4 points, refer to the 4 directions or sometimes the 4 basic elements. However i cannot say how this specifically translates into Javanese symbolism.
Tortoise shell is not that unusual as a decorative element of sheaths in both Jawa and Bali. I have not seen it arranged like this with two strips down each side though. Generally i see it used as a single front piece down the front of the sheath stem such as it is used in the Madurese sheath attached below. Are the metal fittings here silver? They look like they might be.
This is very unusual for a keris dhapur and nothing i have come across in various pakem before. It's hard to tell, but i think some reshaping may have taken place with this blade. Hopefully someone will come along who might know more about this. In the meantime i believe this might look more correct if you were to turn the hilt 180º.
I look forward to the comments of others on this unusual object.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2020, 08:53 PM   #4
RSWORD

Thank you for the comments David and confirming my thoughts that this was an unusual keris for a number of reasons. The clip and chape are probably Coin or German Silver. I also appreciate your thoughts about what these symbols often mean in other cultures. Like you, I am looking forward to additional thoughts and comments about this piece.
Old 30th January 2020, 11:08 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Someone should have more to say about the cross in the circle symbol. I have seen it quite often on keris. The other one i don't remember seeing.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 06:25 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

I've seen both these symbols,

The round one is, as David has said,widely recognised as a sun symbol, in Jawa it can refer to the Sun, or it can refer to Surya, the Sun Deity. If it is recognised as the weapon of Wisnu, it is his discus, and by extension refers to Wisnu himself. In Jawa this motif is called the Cakra.

The other symbol is uncommon, I have seen it illustrated, I have never seen it actually applied to anything. I do have at least one picture of it in one of my books, I've had a quick look and cannot find it. It is a legitimate symbol, not a one off, so somebody with the time and the inclination will find it sooner or later.

The white metal scabbard fittings are made from mamas, if they do not test as silver.

My impression is that this is a relatively recent creation. The blade gives me the feeling that it is a robahan (a changeling), but not yesterday, maybe late Colonial era, however, the kinatah work I am virtually certain is very recent.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote