Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th December 2006, 01:02 AM   #1
CollectingNewbie

Default First Keris Sword

Ive been looking for one of these in my price range for quite some time, hope I got a good deal with this one
Attached Images

CollectingNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 02:46 AM   #2
RhysMichael

Very nice, I am sure some of the people here can give you a great deal of information on this kris. Until then if you have not been there you should try this site http://home.earthlink.net/~federicomalibago/
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Bill M

Always liked this blade shape. "Kalis Taluseko." Moro. Half waved, half straight.

In Javanese collecting a blade with all waves could indicate a Naga moving; while a straight blade -- a Naga asleep or at rest, maybe in meditation.

The half waved, half straight Moro blade, could indicate a Naga in transition -- waking up or going to sleep.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Ferguson

You did well. Nice piece.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 11:38 PM   #5
kai

I also considered bidding on this one - I believe this is a good first kris to obtain (and am sure more are going to follow... )

Here are some thoughts on this piece: Take them with a chunk of salt - this is just to lure the more seasoned folks into participating here!

I think this is a sound, possibly village-style blade. It could originate from Mindanao (Maguinanao?) although I wouldn't bet on this. This could be a 19th century blade but I guess this might be a revival piece from the first half of the 20th century. The blade seems to be in good condition: Consider a thorough cleaning (perhaps *very* slight polishing by hand) followed by a vinegar staining to bring out details of the blade. Please don't forget to post pics!

Also the hilt (and to a lesser extent the scabbard) seems to have some age to it - very nice to have it complete with both asang-asang (in steel). I'm fairly sure that the decorations" are aluminium "nails" put on there recently to enhance selling. Maybe I'm paranoid but I've seen these "improvements" of genuine, old blades becoming more prevalent during the last 1-2 years. Charles is a nice guy and I'm confident that he got them from his suppliers like this. One could argue that this is legitimate since it's done within Moro culture and follows an old tradition to embellish blades but I can't help to be sorry for the blades and the original artisans crafting these pieces since the recent mutilations (e. g. adding features at the gangya or hilt, adding new inlays, adding gaudy hilts to village blades, etc.) are often very crudely done, too flashy and also usually not true to decorations of blades of the same type or from the same region or period.

Also the dots along the gangya seem to have been filled recently. However, since original holes were used, you can either finish the sloppy job by decent polishing or easily remove the metal plugs.

Comments/corrections?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 12:35 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I would agree with most of what you say Kai. I do question the hilting (there is an awfully bright chip above one of the nails in the close up of the hilt); if the blade is substantial and thick at the gangya it probably is a combat blade.

We should remember that armed clashes with the Moro peoples continued into the 1930's so many blades made in the first third of the 20thC. were not really revival as much as they were actual weapons.

Yes, the workmanship seems to be of village quality; the 5 luk blade is a bit awkward in its execution; I would not be surprised at all if the brass dots and aluminium nails (possibly the handle itself) were not recent additions.
I am surprised by the lack of care in the forming of the greneng which leads me to suspect that maybe this is an eroded 19thC. blade that has been dolled up a bit.

Last edited by Rick; 20th December 2006 at 01:02 AM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote