Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th August 2012, 05:13 AM   #1
sabertasche

Default Ancient Projectile or Arrow Points

Hi there, it has been a very long time since I've been able to participate in the Forum and I hope I can can contribute more now that kids, jobs and life have...stabilized.

I was visiting my Dad's collection a few days ago and found these arrow points attached to some tourist-trap arrows aka "head-hunter pygmy bow and poison arrow set.

I'm pretty sure they do not belong with the cheap junk that my father bought. I'm mystified as to the culture and age, hence this post.

Over the last few years I've picked up other projectile points which I'll add to this post with the idea of forming a Forum library of points. I know there has to be a book on points of different cultures but have yet to find it. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Back to the three points in my father's collection. One is iron and triangular in cross-section with a small tang. The others appear to be bronze, tri-lobate in section. Note that one has markings on it, the significance is not know.

Any thoughts out there as to the age, culture or authenticity of these pints?

Regards,

Greg
Attached Images

sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 08:16 AM   #2
kronckew

try googling images for 'ebay bronze arrow points'. i see a zillion of them just like those up for auction. some turned into brooches, some still looking like they were just cast, some with a nice deep green patina. here's a newish one with much the same point defect as the one on the left of your middle photo.

the roman bronze reproduction market is quite extensive. i know a guy who is casting modern ones in iron and another guy who does them in bronze for re-enactor groups. i have an archer friend that uses the iron ones for traditional bow hunting.

in other words, caveat emptor.

Last edited by kronckew; 14th August 2012 at 08:27 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Lee
EAAF Staff

I had come across something like the bronze one years ago and I was given at the time to believe it was ancient Near Eastern, but, alas, I am without confirmatory details.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
sabertasche

Thanks so far guys, the challenge is that I can't seem to find a typical Greek or Roman point. Similar styles of points were used many combatants at the same time. Arrows being somewhat disposable, you fire it and forget it until it's fired back at you by your opponent. There seems to be a merging of designs. Add in points of different ages and the typology of projectile points becomes quite complex.

Searching eBay and Google I do find similar styles, some new and some said to be 1000 BC but no definitive classifications. I'm sure there are some knowledgeable collectors on eBay but most seem to have little understanding of the cultures and times that their wares attempt to represent.

Another challenge is that many of these points may actually be currency or votive offerings rather than actually intended to be short from a bow. The more ornate points are in this class, the design, weight and manufacture being too labour intensive to warrant them as disposable.

In geographic terms there are some areas where there was not a high degree of cultural mixing (Japan), I don't see as much confusion as to doppelganger designs for battle use. There are specific point designs for specific uses - battle points, indoor points, points for birds, small animals and votive objects etc. There are a multitude of designs but it seems that Japanese points are largely dissimilar to say Chinese or Persian/Greek points although there are unique designs for the same purposes as those in Japan. I'll post some Japanese points shortly, there seem to be thousands of designs only limited by the artistry of their makers, the majority being too impracticable to be used as "arrows". I don't know enough about Japanese culture to be sure but I believe votive points were given to guests during special holidays as a symbol of good luck or as a degree of esteem.

The material that the points are made of is also a defining attribute of where these points come from. In areas where there was ready supplies of iron ore you may see points made of iron in other areas where copper and tin is more availible you would see weapons made of copper or bronze. The materials and modes of construction also change as metal-working technology changed or as new trade routes opened up allowing access to the raw materials, technology and immigration of skilled workforces. These and many more criteria would aid in defining as to when, where and what culture projectile points represent. I see a similar set of criterial for numismatics which is why while I'm interested in old coins but don't collect them - projectile points seem more cool.

Reproductions are everywhere, my fathers points seem legit, my Japanese points - I don't think so . I have others that are so primitive that they could be 1000 or 1 year old. Reproductions of Japanese votive points are made by many companies in China who make Japanese swords and exhibit the fake or real hardened edge of Samurai swords. I'll get busy with my camera and post some more points shortly.

Greg
sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote