Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 18th May 2009, 05:46 AM   #1
Greybeard

Default Malay keris in WW II service?

Hi all,

Some time ago I got a rather interesting keris from Malaysia (Sarawak). According to the seller this keris was made in the WW II era -- and it was allegedly used as an "execution knife"!

The keris has 13 pronounced luk. Some of its basic features resemble Sengkelat or Parungsari. It has a rather broad, heavy, thick blade and deep sogokan. Greneng and jenggot are very sharp and distinct. The central ridge is similar to a Naga`s body (simply made, nothing fancy; bordered by deep grooves). There is no visible pamor (I see one or two very faint lines, but I cannot tell whether these might be some hint of pamor).

The keris appears to be well made and very sturdy, functional like a tool (or a weapon, of course). It has apparently seen a lot of hard use as it is well worn. The blade is freckled with small shallow corrosion pits, and the edges show light uniform erosion.

The hilt (large planar type) and the sheath (gayaman type; plain brass pendok) appear quite Javanese in style; simple but of good quality.

When I got the keris it showed much neglect with the whole blade being rust-brown and dirty. When removing the hilt, I found some completely rotten material wrapped around the rusty pesi! I thoroughly cleaned the blade from all rust and dirt; now it shows lightly pitted grey metal and -- as mentioned -- no pamor.

While I do not at all believe the "execution knife story", I really wonder whether some kerises might have seen service during World War II in Malaya and/or Borneo (e.g. as some sort of "partisan" weapon ... ).

Best regards,

Greybeard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 02:32 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Greybeard, and a belated welcome to the forum.
Can you upload some photos of this keris? It's had to make any useful comments based just on a description.
I would also be a bit skeptical about the story that the keris was used for executions. I would also question that it was made during the WWII era for AFAIK there was not much keris production going on during that period.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Alam Shah

Hi Greybeard.. let's see pictures of the piece, please.. interesting story, though. .
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 06:08 AM   #4
Greybeard

Default Malay keris in WW II service?

Hello David and Alam Shah,

Many thanks for your interest. I know that pictures are much more helpful than even an accurate description as one picture says more than 1000 words ... Unfortunately, at the moment I cannot post pictures because I have a very old computer that is just good for writing threads.

This keris looks old, even older than -- let`s say -- 70 years. But this might be the result of artificial aging, of course.

I am indeed very skeptical about the "execution knife story", and I didn`t buy the keris for this story. I`m just interested if any kerises might have been used -- in this way or another -- in WW II.

Best regards,

Greybeard
Old 19th May 2009, 02:21 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I would doubt that any regular army issued the keris in S.E.Asia during WWII .
A keris would not make much of a utility knife and multiple uses would have been important . <opinion>

However, their Malay cousins in the Philippines plied their kris sundang in guerilla action I'm sure .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 02:37 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Well Greybeard, i am afraid that no matter how accurate your worded description it's not really possible to give you any useful feedback without detailed images. Even then we are limited as holding a keris in hand can reveal aspects of it that photos do not, but at least with photos we can get an idea of what we are talking about. Perhaps you have a friend with a better computer that would allow you to upload.
What do you mean exactly when you ask if it is possible that the keris was "used" during WWII? Do you mean as a weapon of war? If so i would think that highly doubtful. By this time the keris didn't see too much use as a physical weapon anymore. As for the execution story, the keris panjang is generally consider to be an execution keris, though it was much more a matter of status than a blade used for regular executions. In other words, if you carried such a keris it generally meant that you had the authority to perform execution, not you you actually did it. It has a very long, slender, usually straight blade. The exection done with these keris was performed by driving the blade downward through the top of the shoulder into the heart while the arms of the condemned were held out-stretched. I do not know when this type of execution was last performed or if it is possible that such exections took place as late as WWII. Perhaps someone else has more information. It does seem from your description that your keris is not a keris panjang.
Old 19th May 2009, 04:36 PM   #7
BluErf

Hi Greybeard,

I think its not possible to answer your question on how kerises might have been used during WWII. I guess it really depends on how the owner wants to use it. I heard in recent times, some guy tried to use a keris to open a lidded tin, and snapped the tip of the keris.

But from the description you have made, I doubt it is a Malay blade at all. Even corrosion is a sign of artificial aging. Nagas - hmm... we've seen lots of new made kerises with nagas carved into them. And the claim that it is an execution keris - well, I guess if it can cut, it can kill. But seriously, execution by keris is usually done using keris panjang (a form of long keris), and reserved for high status people.

Last edited by BluErf; 19th May 2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Didn't read earlier replies properly
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 05:34 PM   #8
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
Hi all,

Some time ago I got a rather interesting keris from Malaysia (Sarawak). According to the seller this keris was made in the WW II era -- and it was allegedly used as an "execution knife"! ...
Just a question,
Is it correct if we use "WW" as periodization in keris, or keris making? Is there any correlation of WW and keris world, and keris making? When, and who was the first person or expert to use this periodization?

Waiting for your enlightment,

GANJAWULUNG
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 06:48 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
Just a question,
Is it correct if we use "WW" as periodization in keris, or keris making? Is there any correlation of WW and keris world, and keris making? When, and who was the first person or expert to use this periodization?

Waiting for your enlightment, GANJAWULUNG
Ganja, WWII is not period in keris making. It is short for World War Two, which you probably already know took place 1939-1945.
Old 19th May 2009, 07:44 PM   #10
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Ganja, WWII is not period in keris making. It is short for World War Two, which you probably already know took place 1939-1945.
Thank you, David for responding my question,

Of course, I know what WW II means. Still hanging question in my head: is it so important to mention "keris before WW II" and "keris after WW II"? Is there any significant difference, between "keris before WW II" and "keris after WW II" in Java or anywhere else?

Thanks, David,

GANJAWULUNG
Old 20th May 2009, 01:16 AM   #11
A. G. Maisey

This is an interesting question, Pak Ganja.

In the broad context of world events, WWII was a milestone. Before WWII the world was in one form, after WWII the form of the world was entirely different. In the eyes of people in the western world, who hold an interest in things historical, collectable and societal, it is probably true to say that WWII marked the turning point between the Old World, and the New World.

When I started collecting, in the 1950's, this marker was different.
Anything more than 100 years old was "antique", and thus a part of the Old World, anything less than 100 years old was just old, or used, or second hand, and really not to be paid much attention to. However, as time has passed I have noted that the broad community of collectors --- not just keris collectors, but collectors in many fields, have adopted WWII as the point that separates old from new.

So, when you see or hear the western based collectors and students of the keris use WWII as a reference point, what you are seeing and hearing is the use by this group of people of a mode of thought that permeates all of Western society.

And it is not only for the various fields of collecting that WWII is a milestone:- technology, medicine, the sciences, administrative practices ---the list continues--- all these things underwent an immense change in the years between 1939 and 1945.

Now, as far as the valid application of this reference point to the area of our special interest, the keris.
In Jawa, no less than in many other parts of the world, WWII saw the disappearance of the old and the beginning of the new.
PBX passed away in 1939.
PBX was the last Susuhunan to be regarded as the possessor of the power that should be inherrent in a ruler. In Surakarta since the passing of PBX there has been a vacuum at the heirarchical apex, and this has been reflected in societal structure and language usage. With the passing of PBX, and the abandonment of the production of keris and other tosan aji as an art of the court, the keris virtually disappeared from its traditional place in Javanese society, and it is only in recent years that it has returned to this place.

Without the occurrence of WWII there would be no Indonesia today. The Japanese occupation of Indonesia demonstrated to the Indonesian nationalist movement that Westerners could be replaced, and this, along with the functionality of Indonesians during the Japanese occupation, was all the spark that was needed to generate the actions that resulted in the formation of the new country of Indonesia from the old Dutch East Indies. When this new country was formed it became obvious that a common official language was needed, and that chosen was a form of Malay spoken in South Sumatra, which had been proposed by a group of nationalists in 1928 as the common language for the Dutch East Indies. (One Country, One Nation, One Language)

The permeation of Indonesian society by this second official language has resulted in an alteration to hierarchical structures and in modes of thought. One of the results of the process of nationalisation was a modification of society which in turn resulted in many disruptions and alterations to the value systems flowing through society. These alterations to percieved values had the effect of eroding the position of the keris within Javanese society.

With the full realisation of Indonesia as One Nation, and the stabilisation of society within that Nation, the value systems of society have stabilised, and although the values encapsulated within these systems are now different in many respects to the values that applied prior to WWII, many of the old traditional values have been embraced once more, with the result that in recent times the keris has once again achieved an iconic status within Indonesia as a whole, and most particularly within Jawa.

In Bali we had two milestones in keris perception during the 20th century:- there was the Dutch invasion of South Bali, and its associated events, then there was the Japanese occupation. For Bali, perhaps the major milestone could be the Puputans, but WWII must also be considered.

In respect of other parts of the keris world I must reserve comment, as my knowledge of these areas is insufficient to comment, except in the general sense as I have already commented.

Yes Pak Ganja, WWII is an important milestone for the keris in Jawa, and for the keris as it exists in other places.

As a further remark specific to Malay keris I offer this:- I once knew a British soldier who had been stabbed in the thigh with a keris in the Malaya of the 1950's. Apparently some people still used the keris as a weapon at that time and in that place.

Method of execution with the keris was not uniform in all places at all times.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 20th May 2009 at 04:37 AM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 03:35 AM   #12
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Alan for that interesting and informative post.
Old 20th May 2009, 05:13 AM   #13
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
This is an interesting question, Pak Ganja.

In the broad context of world events, WWII was a milestone. Before WWII the world was in one form, after WWII the form of the world was entirely different. In the eyes of people in the western world, who hold an interest in things historical, collectable and societal, it is probably true to say that WWII marked the turning point between the Old World, and the New World.

When I started collecting, in the 1950's, this marker was different.
Anything more than 100 years old was "antique", and thus a part of the Old World, anything less than 100 years old was just old, or used, or second hand, and really not to be paid much attention to. However, as time has passed I have noted that the broad community of collectors --- not just keris collectors, but collectors in many fields, have adopted WWII as the point that separates old from new.

So, when you see or hear the western based collectors and students of the keris use WWII as a reference point, what you are seeing and hearing is the use by this group of people of a mode of thought that permeates all of Western society.

And it is not only for the various fields of collecting that WWII is a milestone:- technology, medicine, the sciences, administrative practices ---the list continues--- all these things underwent an immense change in the years between 1939 and 1945.
Thank you, Alan for the interesting information on this "WW II" term, although in the narrow context of Javanese events -- including the development of keris making in Java -- maybe one of the most important event is "Gianti Treaty" Februari 13, 1755. Treaty between the Netherlands-Indie Governor of Java, Nicolaas Hartingh and Sultan Hamengku Buwana I of Yogyakarta. To end the civil war, between Paku Buwana III of Surakarta and the king's brother but from different mother, Hamengku Buwana I. (Their father Paku Buwana II was in ill condition, and handed the power to the Netherlands Company, to Nicolaas Hartingh before passed away in 1749)

Why so important? Because, after this treaty of Gianti (a small city between Semarang and Surakarta, Central Java) in 1755, there was a big division of Java. We call it in javanese this very important era, as "palihan nagari" (the division of kingdom). After "palihan nagari", Gianti Treaty, then there were two Javanese kingdoms of Solo or Surakarta, and Yogyakarta. Solo was governed by Sunan, and Yogya was governed by a Sultan as the head of state.

The impact of the division ot this Mataram kingdom was so deep. Sometimes became so different, and so hostile. Something that is good in Solo sense, not always good according to Yogyanese people. Vice versa. Including the keris world, keris collecting, keris making, wayang world, javanese traditional dance, traditional music.

That is why, everytime we talk about keris, we always ask: "Which keris style? Solonese, or Yogyanese (Yogyakartan)?" Not only the style of warangka (keris sheath), but event the style of keris making began to differ since then. If you want to compare, then you may compare the style of kerises from Paku Buwana X era (1930-s) and Hamengku Buwana VII in the same era. But their keris style was so different. Not the same too, the artistic taste of both kingdoms...

World War? I don't think kingdoms in Java periodized their culture from this world milestone point of view. Do we call, the traditional dance Bedaya Ketawang "before world war II" and "after world war II" in Kraton Yogya and Kraton Solo is so different? I don't think so...

The keris making in Java was stopped by Japanese ruler (1945-1948), with formal rule: forbidden to keep weapons -- including keris for citizen in Java..

Once again, this is only a narrow context of a Javanese point of view,
Anyway, thank you Alan for your important information and explanation on this matter...

Regards,

GANJAWULUNG

Last edited by ganjawulung; 20th May 2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 20th May 2009, 06:26 AM   #14
A. G. Maisey

Pak Ganja, it was not my intention to address the entire history of the development of the keris and of Javanese society, but rather to attempt an explanation of the importance of WWII as a watershed in the history of the world, and no less in the history of Jawa and its inclusion within the Indonesian state.

The division of Jawa by the European overlords was indeed another milestone, but throughout the course of Javanese history we can identify a number of milestones when Javanese society altered noticeably following one event or another.

For example, prior to the establishment of Mataram in the 16th century, the nature of the Javanese language was not overtly hierarchical, however, the efforts of the House of Mataram to establish its legitimacy resulted in the language evolving into a hierarchical form, and this development continued in response to the effect upon Javanese society of the Dutch. The end result was that by the early 20th century we had the multiple forms of the Javanese language that functioned as a societal device ensuring harmony. A textbook case of society regulating language, and language regulating society.

In my view it is vital to consider the keris within the context of its society, rather than to consider it in isolation from its society. Regretably, nearly always it is considered and studied subjectively, rather than in a holistic fashion. The result of such an approach is easy to see in that the names of the characteristics of a keris are common knowledge, but understanding of its nature is still veiled in mystery.

To recap:- my focus was to answer only one question, not to address the broader question of the development of cultural variation within Javanese society. Further, we were not discussing the varied aspects of Javanese culture such as dance forms and musical forms, we were discussing an icon of Javanese culture that has become a world-class collectable and an art form recognised across nations.

The keris is no longer the exclusive cultural property of the Javanese people, but has now attracted a following that encompasses the entire world. It may be quite valid for the people in its home culture to classify the periods of keris develpment in one way, a way which is in harmony with their world view, but it is no less valid for those in the broader community to classify the keris according to their own world view. In the context of our world, WWII is a major milestone, it is THE major milestone in the formation of the Indonesian state, and within Jawa it saw the close of the Old World of the colonial period, and the birth of the New World of an Indonesian nation.

I feel that the classification the keris into "pre-WWII" and "post-WWII" is perfectly logical and understandable.This classification is based in the period of creation of the keris, not in its style. As such, it can apply to keris of Surakarta style, Jogjakarta style, or any other style.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 20th May 2009 at 07:23 AM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Greybeard

Hi all,

Many thanks for your comments. A special thank you to Alan Maisey and Ganjawulung for their very interesting and valuable information!

I realize that it is useless to discuss a given keris without providing any pictures. That`s why I put my keris aside for a while and see what can be done regarding photos and then maybe re-introduce it. O.k.?

Best regards,

Greybeard