Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 18th December 2015, 08:21 AM   #1
Agrippa

Default Identification of a sword

Hello!
I am new to this forum. I would like to get help to identify this sword. I bought it recently on an auction in Sweden. It was just described as oriental. The blade has silver inlays. Does anyone have an Idea about What it is?
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf PDF-Foton 2015-12-18.pdf (155.9 KB, 488 views)
Agrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 05:57 PM   #2
estcrh

It does not look "oriental" to me.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 06:17 PM   #3
RobertGuy

This seems a bit crazy but the layout and style of the fullers is identical to a model 1832 US Artillery Sword. This sword was itself based on the famous French 1816 Artillery Sword nick-named the coupe-chou or cabbage cutter.
The 1832 US sword pictured has an 18'' (46 cm) blade. How large is your sword?
Attached Images

RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGuy
This seems a bit crazy but the layout and style of the fullers is identical to a model 1832 US Artillery Sword. This sword was itself based on the famous French 1816 Artillery Sword nick-named the coupe-chou or cabbage cutter.
The 1832 US sword pictured has an 18'' (46 cm) blade. How large is your sword?
Its exactly what I think. It's a mix of stuff. Now I'm unable to say if its a recent mix or an old mix. The guard looks really Western medieval...Really strange...
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 07:54 PM   #5
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrippa
Hello!
I am new to this forum. I would like to get help to identify this sword. I bought it recently on an auction in Sweden. It was just described as oriental. The blade has silver inlays. Does anyone have an Idea about What it is?
Hi Agrippa, Welcome to the forum. I like your sword but I am puzzled as to its origin. It reminds me of one of those fantasy swords that can be seen advertised on various web sites.
Regards
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Iain

This strikes me as an attempt to imitate a cinquedea of the 15th century, although not one of typical form.

However, I strongly suspect it is a 19th century "historismus" product. The blade may well be taken from an artillery pattern, the guard is certainly, at least in my opinion, not of any great age.

Reproductions were quite common during the 19th century and still hold value.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 10:36 PM   #7
Agrippa

Thank you for your thoughts about the sword. The blade is 63 cm, so much longer than the artillery sword mentioned. The blade is of high quality, the blade is flexible. The silver inlays are well done. I have also thought about some kind of a mix of parts, but then made a long time ago. 1800s? I bought it anyway because I just like the look and feel of the sword! It does look like something from the lord of the ring!
Agrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 07:58 AM   #8
RobertGuy

Agrippa
Interesting about the blade lengths. The fuller patterns are so alike that I wonder if the French makers of the artillery sword took their inspiration from a sword similar to yours. Another amazing coincidence is that the overall length (including hilt) of my artillery sword is 63cm
Old 17th January 2016, 09:22 PM   #9
iskender

Default artilleriefaschinenmesser

sire, try looking in the direction of faschinenmessers of german origin similar to the M 1805 Bayern klingenlänge 630mm greetings iskender switzerland
iskender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 12:02 AM   #10
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGuy
.... The fuller patterns are so alike that I wonder if the French makers of the artillery sword took their inspiration from a sword similar to yours....

Wouldn't it be easier to suggest the opposite: Persian master copying ( or prettifying) French example?
After all, he needed to make only one special order, whereas the French had to approve it as a regulation pattern and make thousands of them.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 07:54 AM   #11
RobertGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Wouldn't it be easier to suggest the opposite: Persian master copying ( or prettifying) French example?....
Indeed it could be. It would be helpful if we could establish the chronology of the items.