Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th May 2022, 04:50 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
That's an interesting theory. But with regard to pattern, I think that upside-down pommel matches this better. You can even 1:1 the "mouth" of the drawn naga and circular design above its head, with the outline of the upside-down pommel itself.
We all see what we want to see i guess. Frankly i don't see that much of a match with your naga drawing and to my eyes this pommel clearly looks like a bird.
Also, let's remember this is a 3-dimensional object. Comparing this to a 2-D drawing doesn't show the full extent of the shape for a good comparison. If we look at these pommels from the top and image that we are looking up at the bottom of a bird's body in flight it also clearly looks like a bird.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2022, 05:28 PM   #2
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
We all see what we want to see i guess. Frankly i don't see that much of a match with your naga drawing and to my eyes this pommel clearly looks like a bird.
Also, let's remember this is a 3-dimensional object. Comparing this to a 2-D drawing doesn't show the full extent of the shape for a good comparison. If we look at these pommels from the top and image that we are looking up at the bottom of a bird's body in flight it also clearly looks like a bird.
We can always look at the culturally-accurate depictions: in this case, the original pattern as conceptualized by Bangsamoro hands. Here's an excerpt from the book "Ukkil: Visual Arts of the Sulu Archipelago" by Ligaya Fernando-Amilbangsa (2006). These ukkil patterns existed in Bangsamoro infrastructure and grave markers as early as 1600s (some sources say even way before this date).

As you can see...the resemblance is murky if you flip the kris pommel. I would have agreed with you that it MAY represent a sarimanuk if it's the right way up (blade pointing down).

You'll also notice how closely related the naga and sarimanuk patterns are.

I'll prefer to stick to the naga interpretation though- because one of my kris pommels is obviously a snake-head.
Attached Images

xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2022, 12:25 AM   #3
SanibelSwassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
David,

I think the relevance of this part of the discussion is significant IMHO. As we are in agreement that the symbol that we are calling either a wing… which is my personal belief, or maybe an eye if you are seeing the hilt as the Birds head with a crest and a beak. Either way the commonality in both the “Garuda” kris and the traditional kris can assist us in creating working hypothesis to test regarding some of these questions.

For example if we see the symbol as a wing(my starting hypothesis) then the directionality of the overall structure is potentially identifiable as the Garuda kris is only viewable as a form with the blade tip pointed down. It also has a definable front, back, sides and top. The wing symbols are clearly on the “sides” of the structure. This then gives us an point of reference for both the traditional Moro structure and the Garuda form. “If” the meaning for the symbol and the location are defined then the other symbols under consideration can be defined more reliably.

This pic below may allow us to continue that discussion productively.

Obviously the Garuda form is more figurative.
Attached Images

SanibelSwassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2022, 12:35 AM   #4
SanibelSwassa

Another form for comparison.
Attached Images

SanibelSwassa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garuda kris