Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st August 2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Question Samar Bolo

Here is a nice bolo that I believe originates from Samar. I do not have any measurements on it as it has not arrived yet. In one of the auction photos below there is a soda can for comparative size. I have no idea of age on this so any help in that area or if this style of bolo has a specific name, or really any other information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Sajen

Hi Robert,

now I know who bid me out! Good that it go to your hands!!
Why do you believe that it is from Samar? I have thought that it is an itak from Luzon but like you know I am not very firm by classification.
But it is, equal from where, a nice bolo, special by this price!!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef, and thank you for your kind words. In am sorry about out bidding you on this. That is one of the things that I do not like about eprays not letting you see who the other bidders are. You are right though, it was a very good price.

The main reasons that make me think that this is from Samar and not Luzon are the facts that the blade is chisel ground, the tang does not extend all the way through the hilt and the style of carving on the hilt itself. Of course I could be completely wrong in my opinion on this, and that is why I was hoping for the opinions of the experts.

Regards,
Robert
Old 21st August 2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello Detlef, and thank you for your kind words. In am sorry about out bidding you on this. That is one of the things that I do not like about eprays not letting you see who the other bidders are.
Regards,
Robert

No problem Robert! On the other hand it's good for the seller because many would do it like you, I am as well.
Old 21st August 2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
The main reasons that make me think that this is from Samar and not Luzon are the facts that the blade is chisel ground, the tang does not extend all the way through the hilt and the style of carving on the hilt itself. Of course I could be completely wrong in my opinion on this, and that is why I was hoping for the opinions of the experts.

Regards,
Robert

Very good points! Do you know swords with similar hilts from Samar? I am curious as well what the experts will tell. This is what I like by this forum, you can learn so much!
Old 21st August 2012, 08:02 PM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef, Here is a link to another one of my bolos that was identified as being from Samar. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...6&postcount=12

Robert
Old 21st August 2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Hello Detlef, Here is a link to another one of my bolos that was identified as being from Samar. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...6&postcount=12

Robert
Yes, I see what you mean!
Old 24th August 2012, 05:10 AM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

The bolo arrived today and is in great shape except for some very minor damage to the wooden hilt and a small bend to the tip of the blade that can be straightened very easily. The total length is 20-3/4 inches with a 16 inch blade. The blade is 1-1/2 inches at its widest point and 1/4 inch thick at the hilt. All in all a very fast weapon for slashing and stabbing. Still hoping that someone can tell me more about this.

Regards,
Robert
Old 24th August 2012, 05:56 AM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THIS IS THE CLOSEST THING TO YOURS I HAVE IN MY COLLECTION. THIS ONE IS MARKED AND IS FROM CEBU WHICH IS NOT THAT FAR FROM SAMAR. I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS FORM OF CARVED HANDLE MUCH BUT OUR TWO EXAMPLES WOULD INDICATE IT WAS A KNOWN FORM BUT NOT A COMMON ONE IN MY EXPERIENCE.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Barry, and thank you for posting the pictures of your bolo for comparison. Not only are the hilt carvings very similar but the blades are also very similar in their overall appearance. The main difference between the two would be the angle of the hilts. I have only seen one example of a marked bolo from Samar and the hilt carving was almost identical to the one I have shown above. Unfortunately when I found it I had just purchased another item for my collection and was short on cash and had to let it pass. Of course now it has been sold. Does your bolo have a chisel ground blade as I cannot tell by the photo?

Regards,
Robert