Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th January 2009, 09:43 AM   #1
scratch

Default Project blades

G'day
I am hoping for some direction regarding how to acquire appropiate dress for these blades and any other suggestions on how to proceed.
I am guessing they are from Bali? Both blades are very thick and sturdy.
I have a hilt that may be suitable, It looks to have some age?

Kind regards

Daniel
Attached Images

scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 09:13 PM   #2
scratch

I believe both these blades to be of high quality and pre 1900's? They are at this point how I received them. The previous owner suggested getting them as smooth/polished as possible before staining.

Cheers,

Daniel
Attached Images

Old 19th January 2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Jussi M.

I like the shape of that 9 luk

Beautiful!

J
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 11:18 PM   #4
scratch

Thank you for taking the time to reply J
I also find the form of luk blade pleasing. The well defined centre ridge seems uncommon.
I shall take the abscence of responces to indicate that both these blades are indeed of Bali origin and pre 1900s.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 21st January 2009, 02:21 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch
Thank you for taking the time to reply J
I also find the form of luk blade pleasing. The well defined centre ridge seems uncommon.
I shall take the abscence of responces to indicate that both these blades are indeed of Bali origin and pre 1900s.
I wouldn't necessarily take silence as an indication that you are correct here. Since both these blades are pretty much completely out of stain many forumites might be withholding judgement. They could very well be Balinese and i doubt they were made yesterday. Still, even out of stain as they are it looks to me that there may be pamor on the gonjo of the straight blade. This is something that i usually don't see on pre-1900 Bali blades, so it makes me wonder if this blade might not be from Bali, or if it is, then maybe not that old.

The center ridge (ada-ada) is not that uncommon, especially in Bali blades.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 03:45 PM   #6
BluErf

Apart from the size, the kerises look rather Javanese to me, especially when I look at the execution of the sorsoran.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 08:25 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

The well defined ada-ada is just a wee bit too well defined, the greneng are rather amateurish, the pesi on both both blades are very tapered and not well finished, the pawakan of the straight blade is not really Balinese, and we do not know how long they are.

I believe that in the hand these blades would be given as Lombok.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 10:17 PM   #8
scratch

G'day
David,BluErf,A G Maisey Thank you for setting me straight. I had thought I must have been stating the obvious regarding origin I would rather know what I have, rather than think I have something I do not. It also makes me question the suggested origins of all the pieces in my small collection I acquired enmasse.
I shall post pieces individually in an effort to determine their correct origin and age.
17 1/2 in appx for both blades length, not including tang.
3/4 in thick at base. both pieces, to me, seem robust and well tempered
Thank you again for your candour and clarity.

Kind regards,

Daniel
Old 22nd January 2009, 03:35 AM   #9
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch
Dear Daniel,
IMHO, not all kerises with Javanese influence are Javanese kerises. (Javanese influence can be seen from "dha" form on the greneng part, or tail part of the keris). Why Javanese influence? This is a matter of the past (his)tory...

On keris culture in Lombok, Mr Lalu Djelenga -- a Lombok nobleman -- wrote in his book, "Keris di Lombok". --- "in the framework of uniting Nusantara under Kingdom of Majapahit (in Jawa), an expedition was sent to the East, led by Mpu (Wrehat)nala. That was -- according to Djelenga -- about 1343 M, including to Lombok. And then came the later expedition from Majapahit kingdom led by Mahapatih (Chief Minister) of Gajah Mada on 1353. Lombok was part of Majapahit since then.

Javanese influence, not only seen until now in keris culture, but also -- according to Mr Djelenga -- in Sasak culture. Sasak scripture, derived from Jawa scripture -- but only remain 18 characters, compared to 20 characters in Javanese alphabet. And the Sasak scripture of alphabet, also called by Lombok people as "Jejawan". You will see also, the Javanese name in Lombok villages and town like in Java Island, such as Kediri (like in East Java), or Kuripan, Surabaya, Wanasaba and even the capital of Lombok, Mataram -- like the name of Javanese kingdom in the 17th century and above...

These pics below, are a Javanese blade. Or it is possible too, a Southern Sumatran blade with javanese influence (seen from the 'dha' form of greneng), also with "ada-ada" in the center of the blade...

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 22nd January 2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Mistake -- wrong year
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 02:14 PM   #10
BluErf

Here's another example - from Palembang.
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 11:29 AM   #11
scratch

Ganjawulung, Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I shall endeavor to learn more about the history and culture associated with the keris.
BluErf Thank you for sharing your example.

Sincere thanks

Daniel