Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th May 2008, 08:01 PM   #1
mattf33

Default Afghan Jezail I just picked up in Afghanistan

First off this is my first post and I just wanted to say thanks to all the members for sharing all the great information and photos of thier weapons.
Im currently in Afghanistan and I found this rifle and for some reason I liked it so I decided to send it home. I was just wondering if any experts here could give me any info on it. I am no expert so any ideas would be appreciated.
here are some pics. Additionally I have been collecting some original Afghan powder measures and powder flasks and a bullet mold. Additionally I havs seen ALLOT of different edged weapons.
Sorry these pics arent that great. I have to figure out how to make them smaller
Attached Images

mattf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 02:49 PM   #2
ward

The barrrell is nice twist damascus but way overcleaned. The barrell bands and a few other pieces of the furniture look new bazaar work. I can not tell if stock is new from these pics. I have seen some of these coming out of afghanistan the last few years most of them have been cobbled together out of a mix of old and new pieces. Stay away from items with a lot of sheet brass.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 09:29 PM   #3
kahnjar1

Smile Typical piece

Hi Matt and welcome to the Forum. This, (from what can be seen) is a typical piece from the general area---Khyber Pass/Afghanistan. The lock looks to be definately genuine and is from a British India Pattern musket. It bears the correct date and the British East India Company heart shaped cypher. Also also has the name of the (private) maker. If you can tell me what that name is (not clear in pic) I can probably give you some dates as to when he was in business. The barrel LOOKS old, though it may not NECESSARILY be the one which went with the lock originally. (Barrel length?) Any markings of any sort that you can see? Also replacement bits like bands are quite common on this type of firearm,but also COULD have been added recently to make things "look more attractive" for the buyer. More pics would be great including a full length.
Keep safe.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 11:39 PM   #4
ward

I believe the barrell and lock are old the question is in regard to the rest of the rifle. That sheet brace looks awful new and bearing in mind I am looking at a picture not having it in hand the stock just does not look to have age maybe it has been refinished. Afghan weapons are notorious at using older pieces with new for many centuries. If you pulled the lock and showed pic of the wood would be a pretty good indicator.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 03:52 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Smile Makers name on lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Matt and welcome to the Forum. This, (from what can be seen) is a typical piece from the general area---Khyber Pass/Afghanistan. The lock looks to be definately genuine and is from a British India Pattern musket. It bears the correct date and the British East India Company heart shaped cypher. Also also has the name of the (private) maker. If you can tell me what that name is (not clear in pic) I can probably give you some dates as to when he was in business. The barrel LOOKS old, though it may not NECESSARILY be the one which went with the lock originally. (Barrel length?) Any markings of any sort that you can see? Also replacement bits like bands are quite common on this type of firearm,but also COULD have been added recently to make things "look more attractive" for the buyer. More pics would be great including a full length.
Keep safe.
Regards Stuart
Hi again Matt,
Had a couple of minutes so had a look at makers. Most likely I think is W.HENSHAW 1780-1820 Made Flintlock weapons under contract to the British East India Company. Shop in The Strand London
If the name is not HENSHAW, I will have another look. As previously stated, locks and other parts from British (and other) military weapons were commonly used by "the natives" to make up their own guns (if of course they could not steal them from the colonial powers!
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 07:32 PM   #6
mattf33

The lock is labeled Henshaw and is dated 1799. I believe the stock probably is new. I slid the barrel bands down and lifted the barrel and looked at the side of the barrel and the demascas is much more defined where it was protected. I am trying to post more pics but I have to figure out how to reduce the res on the photos so they can be posted. I dont have the barrel length as I am still in afghanistan and sent the rifle home before it got damaged or they change thier mind about letting us send antique weapons home. I appreciate all the info.
mattf33 is offline   Reply With Quote