Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th August 2012, 05:47 PM   #1
trenchwarfare

Default Tanegashimurata

I thought some of you, would appreciate this combination of, old and new. Typical Type 13 Murata action and buttstock. But, then you have a full-length Tanegashima style forend, and barrel. Although, I have never seen a Tanegashima, with a pronounced damascus twist. It appears two different type steels were used, to produce a very distinct twist pattern. I'm guessing one with a high nickel content, and one with high carbon. Whatever was used, it produced a very beautiful barrel. Stock looks like curley Maple? The only markings are as shown, under the wood.
It is believed, that these combination guns were made to appeal to the older generation, in an effort to get them to buy a more modern gun. There are also Muratas, that have the Tanegashima pistol grip stock. Enjoy!
Attached Images

trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 11:20 PM   #2
trenchwarfare

Guess I thought wrong.
Old 16th August 2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Nathaniel

No, not at all Trenchwarefare. I just logged on and saw this for the first time today...first thread I viewed...tittle caught my attention...and the pictures of your collection and wonderful condition Type 13! Thank you very much for sharing! Love visiting the forum for that reason...always something exciting to see!
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 05:42 AM   #4
trenchwarfare

Thanks, Nathaniel. I am rather proud of the Type 13, and the collection.
Old 18th August 2012, 06:26 AM   #5
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchwarfare
Typical Type 13 Murata action and buttstock. But, then you have a full-length Tanegashima style forend, and barrel.There are also Muratas, that have the Tanegashima pistol grip stock. Enjoy!
I do not see the tanegashima forend and barrel, in fact it looks like a custom made hunting rifle in my opinion rather than a military version. Do you have any idea of a date on it?
Here is one with the tanegashima stock like you mention, very nice example no matter what it is though.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 04:36 PM   #6
trenchwarfare

Nice gun E. I hope to find one of those one day. By Tanegashima style, I meant the sights, barrel thickness, rear silver decorations, and full length stock. I too feel, that it is a custom hunting rifle, made for someone of substance. No idea as to age. I think pretty early though.