Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th September 2009, 12:45 AM   #1
Dmitry

Default Looking for recommendations on books regarding Dutch edged weapons.

This is one area where my reference library is significantly lacking.
My specific interest is in pieces from 1600s-1800s.
Also, a book or books on Dutch naval firearms from the Age of Sail would find a respected spot on my bookshelves.
Thank you in advance.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 03:06 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Obviously here in works published in English, this is a sparsely covered area, but one of the best references for me has always been,
"Blanke Wapens", J.P.Puype, 1981, ISBN 90 6087 662 8
Comprehensive on Dutch edged weapons since 1600.
Bibliography extensive but many titles if not most, in various languages

The best person for information on Dutch firearms would be Cornelis, who is based in the Netherlands and has amazing expertise on these. I hope he will respond.

Many of the comprehensive titles of firearms of these periods in Europe will naturally include at least some Dutch firearms.

I have found some interesting detail in various books concerning some of the shipwrecks involving VOC ships, but cannot recall offhand the references.

The book "Boarders Away" by Gilkerson covers many maritime weapons with it seems some references that might include some Dutch, but would not be the detail you seem to be seeking.

There seems to be a great deal of Dutch weapons included in various references to smallswords and court swords, by Dean, Aylward, Norman.
"The Smallsword in England" by Aylward has great notes with certain hints and comments concerning Dutch commercial weaponry of mostly 18th c.

Overall, searching bibliographies is typically the best solution to strengthening certain voids in personal libraries, at least it has always been helpful for me.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 04:02 AM   #3
Dmitry

Jim, thank you for your reply!
I will search for the "Blanke Wapens", by J.P.Puype. Sounds like this is the book I should be looking for.
I am pretty sure that the rest of the titles you've mentioned I already have, aside from the Aylward book, which is scarce, and on my radar.

Of course, the ultimate resource would be The Visser Collection catalogue, but I am not eager to spend $1500 for the 6 vol. set, however magnificent it is.
Old 28th September 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Dmitry,
The Puype book is a paperback, so shouldnt be too bad once you find it. If Amazon doesnt have it...try Ken Trotman in England. Mr. Brown there is amazing at finding books.
The late Nick Norman and Puype apparantly worked together on things a lot as they wrote a brilliant article together for the Arms Society in London on a 10th Hussars sabre. Mr. Normans fantastic volume on smallswords and rapiers is a virtual goldmine of footnotes, references and bibliography as well.

The Aylward book is indeed one of the venerable and fantastic references of European arms collecting, again, the footnotes alone are absolute treasure. The book has been reprinted several times from the 1945 original, so does turn up occasionally...again Trotman would be a good source.

I have heard of the Visser collection, but have not seen this catalogue. This would likely be in the holdings of museums like the Higgins, and it might be worthwhile to contact them just to see of it could be viewed at thier library. I have often used interlibrary loan to borrow hard to find books, and simply gleaned pertinant data in notes and essentially copies (for scholarly use only of course) which became part of my working library until I could find a permanent copy. Obviously an expensive multi volume set like this is most likely among reference holdings so not lent out, but just suggesting the method.

Again, bibliographies, interlibrary loan, footnotes......all these are the building blocks for useful reference libraries and served me well through many years.

All the very best,
Jim
Old 29th September 2009, 02:21 AM   #5
Dmitry

Jim, I just found the first edition of the Aylward book, and snagged it. Completely unrelated to the topic of the Dutch edged weapons, but it was on my list for a while.
From what I understand, the two differences between the first edition [1946] and the second edition [1960] are - the second edition contains some additional sword-makers names [not really important, since there are other titles on the subject of makers], and the book size actually shrunk.
So, I was glad to have found a larger-sized, first edition.

I am interested in anything pertaining to this particular type of sword, known variously as Dutch, Schleswig-Holstein, as well as Danish. They are also called the Stralsund Sabers.
Thanks!

Would it be considered improper to ask you to photograph the pertaining page from the Puype book [which seems severely out of print, and not available anywhere I looked. Email was sent to Ken Trotman]?
Attached Images

Old 29th September 2009, 05:58 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry
Jim, I just found the first edition of the Aylward book, and snagged it. Completely unrelated to the topic of the Dutch edged weapons, but it was on my list for a while.
From what I understand, the two differences between the first edition [1946] and the second edition [1960] are - the second edition contains some additional sword-makers names [not really important, since there are other titles on the subject of makers], and the book size actually shrunk.
So, I was glad to have found a larger-sized, first edition.

I am interested in anything pertaining to this particular type of sword, known variously as Dutch, Schleswig-Holstein, as well as Danish. They are also called the Stralsund Sabers.
Thanks!

Would it be considered improper to ask you to photograph the pertaining page from the Puype book [which seems severely out of print, and not available anywhere I looked. Email was sent to Ken Trotman]?

Not at all Dmitri, I am sending you a PM.
Old 29th September 2009, 07:06 PM   #7
cornelistromp

Hello,

herewith some pics of sabers from J.P. Puype blanke wapens and J.P. Puype
the visser collections volume 1 part 3.
Also some pyrotech fire-arms Visser coll Volume 1 part 1.

the Visser Collection part 1 part 2 part 3 I have 2 times, please write me a private mail if you are interested however the books are very heavy 750pages
3.5 kg per book (10.5kg in ttl) so you need a reinforced bookshelf .

best regards
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 07:07 PM   #8
cornelistromp

Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Cornelis, absolutely fantastic!!! Thank you for posting these, its great to see you posting, havent seen you for a while and missed your posts.

All the best,
Jim
Old 30th September 2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Dmitry

Gentlemen, thank for going above and beyond what I was expecting in terms of help!!!
I really appreciate the camaraderie and good fellowship on this forum!!!

Ken Trottman just emailed me that they do have the Puype book. I will be ordering it presently.