Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd January 2011, 01:03 PM   #1
wanawut

Default Help identifying 2 items

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I have 2 items that I have owned for over 30 years. I only bought them because they were interesting. The larger one came from a consignment/antique shop. The owner told me that it came from the estate of a captain who had sailed in the South pacific. I don't know anything about the smaller one. The blade on the small one seems to be aluminum or some other very light metal. That is all I know. Can anyone help me with what these are? Thanks in advance, Jeff
Attached Images

wanawut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very attractive items. How could you own these for 30 years without wondering what they were ? My curiosity would have got me well over 29 years ago
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 06:20 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Mabuhay and welcome to our little forum!

The sword is called a tenegre and is from the lowlanders of the island of Iloilo, one of the Visayan islands in the middle of the Philippines. The carving is well done and well preserved. Horn seems to make up the guard. A very nice piece.

The small knife is from Burma I think and the scabbard and hilt looks like it maybe made of ivory and the scabbard possibly of horn (maybe ivory - need better pictures). Silver and brass may make up the metal mounts. Others may be able to tell you more about this particular piece.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Wanawut and welcome to the forum. A very nice tenegre with great carving. Too bad you don't have the scabbard, or do you? Like Jim I cannot see how you could have had this so long without trying to find out more about it. Sorry to say that I cannot tell you anymore than has already been said about either of your items. If you type tenegre into the search on the top of the page you will find more of these to compair with your own, some with wood hilts and some with horn.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 09:08 PM   #5
kahnjar1

Hi and welcome to the Forum. The second item you show is popularly known as a "Priest Knife" and comes from Burma/Thailand region. These can still be bought in Thai markets today.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Sajen

The Tenegre is just beautiful with it well patinated handle. A shame that the sheath is missing.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote