Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th September 2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Marc

These are from the Museo Naval, if I'm not mistaken. Spanish regulation (or at least Navy-used) Navy weapons.
There's a catalogue of the bladed weapons of the Museo Naval, but it excludes all the ethnographic section. It's in Spanish, also.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 08:50 PM   #2
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
These are from the Museo Naval, if I'm not mistaken. Spanish regulation (or at least Navy-used) Navy weapons.
There's a catalogue of the bladed weapons of the Museo Naval, but it excludes all the ethnographic section. It's in Spanish, also.
Marc, thanks. Yes they are from Museo Naval.

On another matter, Vandoo was inquiring earlier whether war clubs were used in Philippines. At the storage of Victor Balaguer museum near Barcelona, I saw a club which was reportedly collected in the country in the 19th century.

But it still needs to be verified whether what's written on the club's handle really pertains to the name of the club and a place in Philippines.
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 08:57 PM   #3
migueldiaz

Another interesting piece I saw at the storage of Victor Balaguer museum is a barung from a juramentado.

Maybe our friends from Spain or South America can provide us with the translation of the text (and from there we can all speculate why the juramentados attacked the Chinese which were long-time friends of the Moros, as they have been co-existing for so long).
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Marc

Let's give it a try. It reads (I think):

“Perteneció a uno de los tres juramentados que entraron en la casa del S(?)ultán Harun (16 Agosto 1888*). Mataron a un moro y a tres chinos e hirieron a siete de éstos”

Which would roughly translate as:

“It belonged to one of the three juramentados who broke in the house of S(?)ultan Harun (16th of August 1888*). They killed a Moro and three Chinese, and wounded seven more of the latter”

I hope this helps.

*It could also be 1898/1889/1899, but I think the year given, 1888, is the most probable option, followed closely by 1898.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Thumbs up history unfolds

Quote:

“Perteneció a uno de los tres juramentados que entraron en la casa del S(?)ultán Harun (16 Agosto 1888*). Mataron a un moro y a tres chinos e hirieron a siete de éstos”

“It belonged to one of the three juramentados who broke in the house of S(?)ultan Harun (16th of August 1888*). They killed a Moro and three Chinese, and wounded seven more of the latter”

I hope this helps.

*It could also be 1898/1889/1899, but I think the year given, 1888, is the most probable option, followed closely by 1898.
Great work Marc, thank you. History unfolds before our eyes. Lorenz, the depths you have gone to are greatly appreciated as is the willingness of the museum to help with learnings is also greatly appreciated.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 06:03 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THE CLUB APPEARS TO BE A PIECE OF RATTAN WHICH TIED ITS SELF IN A KNOT NATURALLY OR PERHAPS WAS DONE INTENTIONALLY AND THEN HARVESTED WHEN IT WAS THE PROPER SIZE. THE VINE CAN GROW RAPIDLY SO EITHER IS A POSSIBILITY. IT IS EVEN POSSIBLE TO INSERT A ROCK AND LET THE VINE GROW AROUND IT TO MAKE A CLUB. GOOD OLD EXAMPLE OF A PHILIPPINE CLUB AT LAST . IN MY EXPERIENCE RATTAN IS NOT VERY HEAVY OR HARD THOUGH SO I WOULD SUSPECT THERE WERE OTHER SORTS OF WAR CLUB MADE TOO.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:39 AM   #7
Reichsritter

Quote:

I hope this helps.

The date is correct, Sultan Harun Al Rashid was installed by the Spanish in 1886 and abdicate in favor of his cousin in 1893. He was exiled in Palawan until his death. He has a resident in Jolo from 1886-1893.
Reichsritter is offline   Reply With Quote