Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th April 2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Michael Blalock

Default Expensive Jambiya $$$

This is a lot of money for a Jambiya.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/...m=180224028486

I see they had 4 different Kattaras three sold in the 3k range and one did not sell, a big drop from 10k last year. I guess last years price brought them out of the woodwork.
Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 10:17 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, it sold to a bidder on the floor so he had an opportunity to examine it first hand. I certainly wouldn't put out that kind of money based on the eBay photos.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Again - insane
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 11:25 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

I always find it very difficult to appraise something from a photo, even a very good photo, and even things I'm supposed to know a little bit about.

As David has pointed out, this jambiya sold to somebody who had handled it. If the price went to this level, it means there were at least two people who thought it was worth that much.

I have no idea at all what it is worth, but I do know this:- the price realised for this dagger is not at all high when compared on a present day value basis with the prices that superior eastern weaponry brought in the 1960's through to the 1990's.

Similarly, compare this price with prices of Japanese weaponry, or even of very good keris. Two Balinese keris that came from the Raja of Badung in about 1988 sold not long after this to a Swiss collector for the equivalent of $US20,000 and $US30,000.

Over the years Balinese keris have come up periodically that have achieved prices of $US10,000 to over $US100,000.

Three years or so ago I acquired a tombak without any dress, just the blade, that cost me near enough to $US9000.

In the mid 1960's a Balinese keris without a scabbard achieved the equivalent of $US2940 (1050 pounds) at Christies in London. What would that be, expressed in present day terms? If I apply the Rule of Eight (the value of limited commodities will double every eight years) this becomes $US94,080. Yes, I know its a simplistic rule, its only intended as a rule of thumb, but it often does give a result that approximates reality. In the case of this Bali keris, its perhaps a little bit high, but not much.

If this jambiya is any good, and apparently a couple of people thought that it is, the price it achieved could well be seen to be low in a very short period of time. There never was a lot of really good weaponry, and the amount offered in the marketplace is becoming less and less.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Michael Blalock

I was in Munich in January, I saw a lot of Saudi's shopping at Bulgari, Armani and Gucci, just down the street from Hermann-Historica. I saw a 3000 euro sweater in one window, so I guess 10,000 is not so insane.
Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 12:55 AM   #6
Dom

Hi
insane ... no
a lot of money, yes,
but, a very exceptional jambiya, museum quality
I saw plenty over there in K.S.A. but never with that quality
if really a little bite old, I may understand

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 01:14 AM   #7
CharlesS

I think for us guys that have been collecting for 5 years or more, it's hard for us to come to terms with a seemingly new wave of collectors willing to pay whatever comes to mind, or seemingly outlandish prices, for something they want.

There have been alot of rich Arabs for some time, but the new wave of "new rich" Russian and Chinese buyers is really putting a wrinkle in the market.

There is little we can do but stand by and watch.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 01:52 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Charles, I have been collecting since I was about 14, and my grandfather was a collector before me, beginning his collection during WWI.

I am now 67. That's more than 50 years of personal collecting, and I have anecdotal experience from my grandfather.

I have never seen Eastern edged weaponry more reasonably priced in real terms than it is right now. Try to get hold of some old UK dealers catalogues from +20 years ago, and compare the prices at that time, with what people were earning.

Its a sad thing to endure, but quality costs.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 02:29 AM   #9
Emanuel

$500,000 - $900,000 Mughal khanjar: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7337978.stm
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 03:15 AM   #10
Lew
(deceased)

The jambiya seems to of the finest quality and after seeing what things went for at the Timonium auction nothing suprises me anymore.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 08:54 AM   #11
Yannis

I watched this auction very carefully because it had a little bit of everything. I was surprised because the majority of items just got the opening bid (and this was low IMHO). Lot of items didnt sold and only few went to high prices.

If you see the same auction last year it was more successful. For example it is the first time in the last years that shasquas are unsold. Were are the Russian collectors?

Where are the collectors, generally? I didnt bid because I had no money to spend. Did the economy situation (and low dollar) stopped the Americans? Did the new law stopped the British?

We collect using the extra cash in our pockets. If there is none, we just watch. Believe me, they were a lot of "watchers" in this auction.

There is another explanation: Old collectors have enough of this stuff and there are no new collectors. I dont want to believe this, it makes me feel sad.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 09:28 PM   #12
Lew
(deceased)

Large good quality jambiya are pretty rare and command higher prices the large one pictured below would probably go three or four times what I paid for it just a year ago. There are a bunch of new collectors out there with lots of money and are willing to pay top dollar,Euro or pound for stuff but I think this is just a cycle we are going through right now.

Lew
Attached Images

Old 11th April 2008, 08:07 AM   #13
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
$500,000 - $900,000 Mughal khanjar: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7337978.stm
shah jahan's dagger sold for £1,700,000 (roughly $3,350,000) yesterday in london
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 11:14 AM   #14
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
shah jahan's dagger sold for £1,700,000 (roughly $3,350,000) yesterday in london

And it's looks just lovely hanging on my wall. Hey I can dream can't I!

Lew
Old 11th April 2008, 05:25 PM   #15
kronckew

well, i brought it home yesterday, here i am with it.

(yes, i do have photoshop )
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote