Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th March 2016, 05:49 PM   #1
FilAmfighter1

Default Pellet Crossbow??

I found this unusual crossbow in second hand shop. I had bow string made for it. I found it shoots in an arc with a bolt, after further research I believe it to be a pellet crossbow. Please help me ID where this could have been made and what type of crossbow is it.
Attached Images

FilAmfighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 08:34 PM   #2
Pukka Bundook

With the buttstock shaped as it is, it looks like a modern version of the old stone -bow.
For one of these (if it is!) you need two strings with spacers holding them apart, and a small 'basket' or pouch for the stone.

The pics are a bit fuzzy, but it looks like the posts are a little close together at the front.

Stone -bows were accurate & deadly little devices, for taking birds and small game, & used even in the 18th & 19th century. They were also popular with ladies.

Best,
Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 03:53 AM   #3
FilAmfighter1

Default Stone Bow!

OK that makes more sense, so I am right it needs a double bow string with a pouch and spacers.
FilAmfighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 07:19 AM   #4
Philip

Correct, a doubled string and pouch will be necessary. You might want to locate Helmut Nickel's article, "Stone-bows in the Old and New Worlds" in ARMS AND ARMOR ANNUAL (ed. Rob't Held, Chicago: Follett 1973), which shows examples from several cultures and from these you can get a good idea as to the various ways that a functional version can be made for your crossbow.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote