Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th September 2013, 04:35 AM   #1
Battara
EAAF Staff

Default Ivory and Silver Gunong with New Scabbard

Greetings,

Here is a gunong I got about 9 months ago but only now had the break and time to make a scabbard for it. The hilt is not bone but a type of marine ivory with silver mounts. Measurements of the blade bring it to 5 3/4 inches.

I made the scabbard out of some scrap padauk wood and silver.

One more note: the blade is laminated with what can be called an "angel hair damascus" steel, hard to see without magnification.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 05:35 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

As always, great work on making the new scabbard. On the gunong itself, I especially like the band that circles the hilt, very different. I think that I have only seen one or two others that had that kind of hilt treatment before. I need to make a scabbard for one of my gunongs, so is there anyway you could tell me where it is you find the wood to do your restorations with? Again, great work.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thanks Robert. I too like the silver wrapping of the ivory. This caught my eye at the show. Normally I would pass up something like this without scabbard, but the wrap and ivory were unique enough for me. I had another ivory hilted gunong that I sold off earlier. I like the elephant ivory, but that was all. This one is different.

I thought about adding more okir to the scabbard mounts, but I was on the fence due to its age.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote