Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 15th November 2015, 02:24 PM   #1
Marcus

Default Lions on the blades

I recently conducted a survey of the 275 keris daggers on the Oriental Arms website to evaluate the frequency with which atypical engravings/carved images appear on the blades or ganga under the hilt. Nine had such carvings, two had snakes (Nagas), two had demon faces and two had other mythical creatures. These six were all attributed to Bali (out of a total of 39 Balinese Keris). The three of the remaining 236, had images of lions carved into the blade (shown). Were these carving to appeal to native customers or to make them stand out to non-native customers?
Attached Images

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2015, 07:33 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

The symbolism of the singo (lion) on keris is indeed traditional and old, though i do not know when they first appeared on certain keris. Perhaps someone else has a better idea.
That said, keris are often re-worked in contemporary times, sometimes with the purpose of selling them to collectors in foreign markets. At least two of the examples you show, and perhaps the third as well, do not look to mae as if the lion was original to the blade. But many old and original examples do exist.

Last edited by David; 15th November 2015 at 09:15 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2015, 09:05 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Here is a lift from my "Interpretation" paper

"There seems to be some evidence that the Singo Barong, a representation of a lion, was a symbol associated with high ranking Ksatriya nobles. This is indicated by the sarcophagi which were the prerogative of high ranking nobles, members of the Ksatriya Caste, in olden times in Bali. These nobles had the right to a sarcophagus in the form of a winged lion (27).

The Singo Barong is not winged, but in Hindu tradition, the lion is associated with the warrior caste.

Possibly the wings on a sarcophagus lion were added because of the implication of the spirit of the deceased flying upwards from the cremation."

This is the most probable explanation in my opinion, but if the source for the Singo Barong was the Chinese Fu Dog (Shi, pinyin = lion) then we are looking at a powerful guardian symbol.

In Jawa some people call the Singo Barong "kikik", which is a little dog with long hair; others call it "Naga Singo Barong". Both these terms are typical Javanese substitutions. Singo Barong is correct usage.

The top keris with lion that actually looks like a lion is a blade alteration directed at the collector market, probably a long time ago.

The other couple of singo barongs are correct form, but whether additions to an already finished blade, or original to the blade, I cannot tell from these photos.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote