Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th September 2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default Afghan Jezail ?

Hi Guys,
This item is available locally. It is advertised as an 19thC Afghan Jezail rifle. I would like to know your thoughts, as far as you are able from the photos, as to the validity of the claim and possibly whether it looks of reasonable quality or not. I DO NOT wish anybody to reply with regard to a monetary value. I know I'm asking a lot as you are not able to handle the piece but any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 10:49 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Close ups would help immensely .
So many forgeries these days .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Norman McCormick

Hi Rick,
These are the only photos that are available at the moment, I should be able to take photos as well as handle the piece within the next four or five days. Is there anything I should look for specifically and are there any particular parts to photograph that would help to I.D. whether fake or genuine. Thanks for your interest.
My Regards,
Norman.
Old 4th September 2008, 11:02 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Norman,

I think Ward or one of our other firearm collectors would be the one to ask about what features to take pictures of .

Hopefully one of them will chime in .

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 11:02 PM   #5
eftihis

Its a greek/ albanian rifle. It looks as medium quality and also looks that it has been shortened and modified from the middle of it untill the end of the barell
eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 02:56 AM   #6
ward

Albanian looks right that lock does not look original but could have been replaced in period. would need better pics of brass and wood on forearm to tell if it had been monkeyed with. Look at the barrell especially markings. Generally rifles are not faked from scratch to much work. But additions and embelshments are done to add value. the quality does not look bad, but I would look very carefuly at the fit of some of the pieces and the consistency of the work overall. These pieces were still being made and used thruout 19th century
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 11:22 PM   #7
Norman McCormick

Eftihis, Ward,
Thanks for your input, will post more photos and more info if and when available. Thanks again.
My Regards,
Norman.
Old 6th September 2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Valjhun

A rare form of Ottoman rifle produced in manufactures in Albania. It is called RASAK. The lock has been replaced, but that happened very often on thoose. It seems that there are also some brass decoration missing along the barrel. They rarely left bare wood, uncovered by decorated brass.

Let me know if you want a divorce from that piece.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 04:00 PM   #9
ward

Quote:
It seems that there are also some brass decoration missing along the barrel. They rarely left bare wood, uncovered by decorated brass
this is why I am saying look at the overall workmanship because it is odd that much wood is showing brass and wood on forearm may be replaced. Untill you look at patina of wood and workmanship of those brass pieces will not know
Old 6th September 2008, 06:49 PM   #10
eftihis

Hi Valjhun, maybe the books describe it as "albanian rasak" but was also made in Greece. There are many with greek inscription, and is considered in Greece more Greek than albanian.
I have a silver one!
The photo below is from a Greek museum
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 06:53 PM   #11
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftihis
Hi Valjhun, maybe the books describe it as "albanian rasak" but was also made in Greece. There are many with greek inscription, and is considered in Greece more Greek than albanian.
I have a silver one!
The photo below is from a Greek museum
It was also made in Macedonia in cities such as Prilep and Tetovo, but I believe it is best known as Albanian not after the people who produced those, but by the people who used them.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 06:55 PM   #12
ward

that has always been a bit controversial. According to Elgood the greeks just bought the rifles in trade. his words not mine so don't yell to loud
Old 7th September 2008, 09:57 AM   #13
Yannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
It was also made in Macedonia in cities such as Prilep and Tetovo, but I believe it is best known as Albanian not after the people who produced those, but by the people who used them.
Well, Greeks used it, somehow. They made a successful revolution with it

Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 03:11 PM   #14
Norman McCormick

Hi Guys,
Here are some more photos. The lock does not work although it would appear that the rifle may have been dropped at some time and the lock knocked out of its seating. The brass sheet is missing in some places as pointed out. There is a date marked on the brass whether this is original or not? There is no makers mark or proof marks on either the barrel or the lock. The barrel does not look like it has been shortened as the decoration comes to an end naturally about 2 inches short of the muzzle, seems meant.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Old 12th September 2008, 06:18 PM   #15
ward

yes I would say lock has been replaced especially with the new screw added thru the other side. date seems about right. The piece is ok not what I call museum quality but ok