Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th June 2014, 12:47 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Gunong Dated 1912

Here is another silver fitted gunong I was lucky enough to acquire from epray. All hilt and scabbard fittings are of coin silver except the guard itself which is made by sandwiching a copper plate between two thin silver plates. The guard had been bent at some point which caused a crack to develop in one of the silver plates. On the plate on the very bottom of the scabbard is engraved "Fox Mindanao 1912". I did my best to get a clear photograph of the engraving but this was the best I could come up with. As to why the plate looks brassy I do not know. Any comments about or information offered on this piece would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 12:56 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I will bet that the guard is made from recycled Sheffield Plate .
As a matter of fact I'll also bet that the scabbard toe is also Sheffield with maybe a layer of silver missing ..
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 01:19 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Now that you mention it I bet you are right about the guard being made from a scrap piece of Sheffield Plate. The scabbard toe on the other hand is not sandwiched like the guard but is made from a solid piece of coin silver like the rest of the fittings. The only thing that I could come up with for the brassy look was possibly the fluorescent bulbs that we have in all our light fixtures?
Old 25th June 2014, 01:36 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Probably a matter of hue in the picture, then .
1912 is Constabulary era .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 01:38 AM   #5
Sajen

Hello Robert,

welcome to the club of "gunong-lovers"!

Lovely nice gunong, well maintained. Good to have this piece dated; this confirm the at this place common theory about the pommel form. The slender elongated pommel of your piece fit well with the engraved date.
Congrats for your new purchase,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 03:12 AM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Rick, Yes happily this is a Constabulary Era piece. I was very excited when I found that it had not only been dated but also that it identified where it was from or at least purchased, something that is rarely seen on most pieces. I am going to try to take a new photo of the toe again tomorrow as it is supposed to be overcast most of the day. Hopefully by taking one in natural light I might get better results.

Detlef, Yes I like many others have fallen into the gunong trap and have been trying to save enough to be able to afford an early one with an ivory hilt and wavy blade. I know that the ones produced in the 1930's are the most ornate and would love to find one from that time frame with a wavy blade also. My main interest though will always be Philippine transitional weapons from the 19th and early 20th century.