Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th February 2007, 05:37 PM   #1
paolo

Default Moro or Kalimantan ?

Hi all,
This piece comes from a private Dutch family; The weapon was confiscated by the Japanese during the Sumatra occupation in WWII. I need Your opinion about its origin. Moro or Kalimantan ?
Attached Images

paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 01:18 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I would lean more toward Kalimantan, especially based on the blade fullers, the "trunk" area, and the chiseling at the base of the blade.
Battara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 10:10 PM   #3
kai

Hello Paolo,

I remember that one - nice catch!

Are there any indications that the elephant's trunk broke off?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 01:26 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

You know, Kai, that is a good question - missed that one.
Battara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 12:43 PM   #5
paolo

Hi Kai,
To me the elephant's trunk seems intact.
Regards
Paolo
Old 21st February 2007, 02:27 PM   #6
VVV

Default The wild swords from Borneo

I have noticed that quite often swords that don’t look like "they should" per default gets labelled Borneo. On this forum it has happened several times to especially odd-looking Kampilan and Kris.
Alan Maisey once told me that he has experienced the same regarding unusual-looking Keris. The difference is that the Malays in coastal south Borneo actually produced Keris. But not with such a great variation of strange styles as sometimes is suggested.

As far as I have seen, and read, nobody has actually been able to prove that there really exists a special "Borneo look" to f.i. the Kris and the Kampilan?
None of them are indigenous Borneo weapons and were used by the immigrated, non-Dayak, Malay or Moro tribes.
I have tried to find proof in old sources of Kris being produced in Borneo.
But so far I have only found out that they were imported from mostly the Sulu Sultanate.

If somebody knows a good source as proof that this isn't the cause I would be happy if you could share it?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 03:10 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Moro weapons and Brunei Sultanate

Michael:

If one includes the Brunei Sultanate as part of Borneo, and indeed part of the "Moro" community, then the answer to your question is yes.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 03:27 PM   #8
VVV

Ian,

Do you mean that there is proof of a special "Brunei look" in Kris that is different from f.i. the Sulu Kris or Malay Sundang?

Michael
Old 21st February 2007, 03:31 PM   #9
Alam Shah

Default Sources...

Afaik, by the middle of the 15th century, during its 'golden age', Brunei had started to expand. The sultanate's control extended over the coastal regions of modern-day Sarawak and Sabah, the Sulu archipelago, and the islands off the northwest tip of Borneo. Keris were manufactured and kris imported from the Sulu regions.

Some useful references:

The Phillippine Islands: Explorations by Early Navigators, Descriptions of the Islands and their People, their History and Records of the Catholics Missions, as related in contemporaneous Books and Manuscripts. Vol. IV-1576-1582. Eds. Emma Helen Blair and James Alexander Robertson. Cleveland: The Arthur H. Clark Company, 1903.

Ongkili, James P. "Ancient Chinese Trading Links." East Malaysia and Brunei. Ed. Wendy Hutton. Tuttle Publishing, 2001.

Saunders, Graham. A History of Brunei. London and New York: RoutledgeCurzon, 2002.

Wright, Leigh. "Brunei: An Historical Relic." Journal of the Hong Kong Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society. Vol. 17 (1977).

Last edited by Alam Shah; 21st February 2007 at 04:01 PM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 04:56 PM   #10
VVV

Thanks Shahrial for the references.

Obviously I have to study Brunei better instead of focusing on the other Borneo regions.
Do I understand you correct that your listed sources states that it was only Keris that were produced in Brunei and that the Kris were imported from the Sulu archipelago?
Or do they state that Kris also were produced in Brunei?

If so, is there a special Brunei style of Kris with characteristic features?

Michael
Old 21st February 2007, 06:09 PM   #11
Bill

"The Keris Sulok or Sundang" by E. Banks has been discussed in the past. While he doubts the keris was made by Bornean Malays he states the Sulok/Sundang "certainly" was made in Brunei for a time. There you go back to the common sense problem of explaining how smiths that never made the keris come up with Cato's "18thC" kris, a sword with remarkable workmanship. Although I haven't see any accurate discription of the swords, early western explorers were impressed with arms of early Brunei.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 07:47 PM   #12
VVV

Thanks Bill,

I have always assumed that Keris Sulok means Sulu Kris?

But obviously, according to Banks 1940, he was told that they were once made in Brunei also.
Still, looking at the picture in the article, it seems as if it was the Sulu Kris being made there and not a Borneo, or Brunei, Kris?
And at least one of the Kris in the picture seems to be Maranao (maybe imported)?

Michael
Old 21st February 2007, 11:36 PM   #13
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
...There you go back to the common sense problem of explaining how smiths that never made the keris come up with Cato's "18thC" kris, a sword with remarkable workmanship. Although I haven't see any accurate discription of the swords, early western explorers were impressed with arms of early Brunei.
Could it be a smith who migrated to these area, from Sulu or Mindanao? In the Asian Civilisation Museum, Singapore, there is a sundang which is attributed to Brunei. It is of fine worksmanship as well.
Old 22nd February 2007, 01:14 AM   #14
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Could it be a smith who migrated to these area, from Sulu or Mindanao? In the Asian Civilisation Museum, Singapore, there is a sundang which is attributed to Brunei. It is of fine worksmanship as well.
Yes, a smith who's ancestors may have been Madurese .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 01:28 AM   #15
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
...Do you mean that there is proof of a special "Brunei look" in Kris that is different from f.i. the Sulu Kris or Malay Sundang?
Michael
Afaik, I haven't seen any typical 'Brunei look' for Kris, but based on the one at Asian Civilisation Museum's, it leans more toward Sulu archetype. Some samples could be found in Frey's The Kris (3rd Ed), in the Kris Archives.
Old 22nd February 2007, 01:37 AM   #16
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
How's that, Rick?
Old 22nd February 2007, 02:06 AM   #17
Bill

Quote:
I think everyone visited Brunei. "a Sketch of the History of Brunei" by Hughes-Hallett admits the history is lacking considering it was once a important trade center and powerful kingdom. Chinese coins dating to 600 BC were found in the mouth of the Sarawak river. Oral tradition says royal families had both Chinese and Javanese blood. Early westerners were surprised at the amount of Chinese, Arab and Bugis. Certainly after 1669 the "Bugis Diaspora" had large Bugis migration. Also in the 17thC, the Sultan of Sulu was involved in a Brunei civil war and was awarded large territories in North Borneo.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 02:36 AM   #18
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
How's that, Rick?
Shahrial,
Don't you think that Madurese and Javanese smiths and their far flung descendants have spread pamor and smithing techniques and influences throughout the world of the keris/kris over the centuries ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 06:22 AM   #19
Alam Shah

Default Info and book on Brunei keris.

Quote:
... Don't you think that Madurese and Javanese smiths and their far flung descendants have spread pamor and smithing techniques and influences throughout the world of the keris/kris over the centuries ?
Ah... yes... I believe they do. But you only mentioned Maduranese... hence the ? Need to research more on Brunei keris/kris.

There is a book "Keris : peranannya dalam masyarakat Melayu Brunei".
(Translated = Keris: its role in the Brunei Malay community.)
Author: Haji Hashim B. Haji Mohd Noor.
Publisher: Berakas, Negara Brunei Darussalam : Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Brunei, Kementerian Kebudayaan, Belia dan Sukan, 2004.

Comments: It's a research article on the Brunei keris, written in Malay. There are pictures of keris with Brunei influence, brunei styles, local terms used, materials and interviews with the 'pandai besi' and kerismakers.
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:45 PM   #20
VVV

Quote:
Comments: It's a research article on the Brunei keris, written in Malay. There are pictures of keris with Brunei influence, brunei styles, local terms used, materials and interviews with the 'pandai besi' and kerismakers.
Interesting,

Is it only keris or do they also have examples of kris that differs from those of other regions?
If so, could you share any of the pictures?

Michael
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:54 PM   #21
Alam Shah

Default Book reference pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
... Is it only keris or do they also have examples of kris that differs from those of other regions? If so, could you share any of the pictures?...
I don't have pictures of it, as I do not own a copy of the book. I've read it in the library's reference section, but unfortunately not available for
borrowing, hence I cannot make a copy.
I'll check it out and let you know when I can.
Old 24th February 2007, 12:23 PM   #22
paolo

I'haven't Your knowlege about keris, and I didn't read most of the books You mentioned, but on page 16 of the Van Zonneveld book (traditional weapons of the Indonesian archipelago) there's a pic of a Kalimantan keris, acquired in 1893, that looks very interesting to me.
Regards
Paolo
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2007, 04:13 PM   #23
VVV

Yes, it looks interesting.
AFAIK the swords in the van Z book is attributed according to collection area, not where they were made.

Michael