Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th November 2023, 04:25 AM   #1
DavidFriedman

Default Quaddara of unusual form

Greetings fellow collectors. I recently acquired this massive quaddara with 24 inch x 2 inch wide blade.

I’ve seen Quaddara with dull rear blade spines (with a small false back edge only). This one is extremely sharp on both sides of the blade from base to tip. Also it is very heavy, several pounds in weight. So the typical use of the parry hand to reinforce the withdrawal of a heavy blade after a cut/chop/slice would not be possible, due to the sharpness of the back of the blade.

Does anyone have any insight as to the type of person that should have wielded this type of quaddara?

I’m assuming and have been told this is Persian from the late 19th century. If anyone knows otherwise, I would love to hear your thoughts.
Attached Images

DavidFriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2023, 04:28 AM   #2
DavidFriedman

The Indian lance and Persian Qajar straight sword are in the images for size reference and (in the case of the straight sword) silver koftgari comparison.
Attached Images

Old 7th November 2023, 05:16 AM   #3
Turkoman.khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFriedman View Post
Greetings fellow collectors. I recently acquired this massive quaddara with 24 inch x 2 inch wide blade.

IÂ’ve seen Quaddara with dull rear blade spines (with a small false back edge only). This one is extremely sharp on both sides of the blade from base to tip. Also it is very heavy, several pounds in weight. So the typical use of the parry hand to reinforce the withdrawal of a heavy blade after a cut/chop/slice would not be possible, due to the sharpness of the back of the blade.

Does anyone have any insight as to the type of person that should have wielded this type of quaddara?

IÂ’m assuming and have been told this is Persian from the late 19th century. If anyone knows otherwise, I would love to hear your thoughts.
Hello David Friedman

Great quadarra. Congratulations!
I think you were told correctly. This is late 19th century.
Such items were made mainly for Europeans who visited Iran at that time, as well as as an attribute of religious holidays (Ashura) and mysteries
Turkoman.khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2023, 06:03 AM   #4
DavidFriedman

Thanks for your confirmation and reply.
This blade is so heavy, forward leaning and sharp it would likely do a lot of damage in the Ashura self inflicted wounds, I bet. It’s of the weight that could easily behead a goat or a person easily if swung in a chopping motion.

The fittings look correct for the period. I wonder if the fabric is a new replacement on the scabbard.

Have you ever seen such a double sided Quaddara before? It’s like a bebut on steroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkoman.khan View Post
Hello David Friedman

Great quadarra. Congratulations!
I think you were told correctly. This is late 19th century.
Such items were made mainly for Europeans who visited Iran at that time, as well as as an attribute of religious holidays (Ashura) and mysteries
Old 8th November 2023, 01:32 PM   #5
A.alnakkas

mounts are Syrian, probably mid 20th century. Blade is older but they also made local copies that are thinner but not necessarily poor quality.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2023, 05:13 PM   #6
DavidFriedman

Thanks. Do you think the blade is Syrian also?

I’ve also seen a very similar blade described as from Dagestan, but had the typical wood/horn hilt style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas View Post
mounts are Syrian, probably mid 20th century. Blade is older but they also made local copies that are thinner but not necessarily poor quality.
Old 9th November 2023, 03:44 PM   #7
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFriedman View Post
Thanks. Do you think the blade is Syrian also?

I’ve also seen a very similar blade described as from Dagestan, but had the typical wood/horn hilt style.
possibly. Is it a well made blade?
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote