Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 27th December 2020, 09:56 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default Native American spike tomahawk, fur trade pole axes and skinning knives

Although my primary collecting has always been maritime, I became fascinated with spike tomahawks when I learned that they were contemporary 'cousins' of the boarding ax. Here is one I just picked up recently and it may surprise some that they were not all huge beasties! This rather petite example is actually more the classic size, with an 11" haft, head measures approx 10" with the cutting edge at 1 1/4" inch. This cast steel head probably dates ca. 1825-50. I believe the wood haft is contemporary to the piece.

Some of the amazing facts about spike tomahawks; they predate the later (and more recognized pipe tomahawks), they were first introduced in the early 18th century and continued to be traded all the way up to the Indian Wars of the 1880's, most of the early ones were iron with steel bit inserts for the edge and sometimes the tip, they were primarily used as weapons but could also be used as tools to skin game, puncture leather, cut bark into strips, etc. Later steel examples were made by trip hammer forgings as early as 1800. Tool companies actually made these in catalogs and sold them to the Indians! The Underhill Tool Company made a 'hawk that often ended up in native hands. After later troubles and the Little Big Horn, the government looked down on the tool companies making these for 'the enemy' and discouraged it. The companies were too greedy to stop the trade and simply kept making them, but without their company logo!!
Attached Images

M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 09:58 AM   #2
M ELEY

Here are similar examples from the trade tomahawk page and also museum examples.
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 27th December 2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 27th December 2020, 10:04 AM   #3
M ELEY

Of course, the question always comes up as to what is a real tomahawk, what is just a tool and what is a downright fake. If you decide to go into this field of collecting, you sometimes have to take chances and, of course, try to educate yourself. I am no expert, but have been doing research on these for awhile now.
Spike axes in particular are shifty. Axes that closely resemble them include fire axes, taffy cutting tools, ice hatchets, camp axes, mining tools and foreign axes (fokos, etc). Some excellent resources include Hartzler's book on tomahawks, Peterson's treatise on Native American axes and the following two web-sites-

https://www.furtradetomahawks.com/

https://tatcalite.tripod.com/index.htm

Last edited by M ELEY; 27th December 2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 27th December 2020, 10:26 AM   #4
M ELEY

Of course spike tomahawks were not exclusive to Native American use. Fur trappers, colonial soldiers, 'mountain men', scouts, etc, also used such pieces. During the French and Indian War, there were several Scottish regiments that rejected the Brown Bess bayonet in favor of a tomahawk ax as sidearm. Here are two more spike 'skull hammers' from my collection. Both are early, possibly pre-1800 based on their styling/iron forging and have their original hafts. The smaller of the two has a steel bit and a steel spike forged into the iron. The larger specimen has an 'eared' base, lozenge shaped eye and an old blacksmith repair where a lug secures the head where it cracked through the eye.

Understanding the culture from which these axes emerged is truly amazing. During the trade years, a white blacksmith would often in good faith take a native wife in order to bond with the tribe that he was supplying trade items. Often, the smith would set up shop right on the perimeter of that particular tribe's land. This practice of taking a native wife was most popular with the French fur trappers, but many of the Hudson's Bay Company Brits did it as well.

Some will note the 'nail pulling slot' and call foul. Tomahawks never have nail slots like lathing axes, shingle hatchets, etc. The exception to this rule, however, is when they were drilled and cut later in the axe's life. These tools were often used for a century or more! Also, if the 'slot' is more square-shaped, they were often not for nail pulling, but were a trap chain pulling slot. Imagine sticking your arm down into icy water all day long to haul out a trapped beaver! The ax slot served as an extension of the arm to pull the trap from the chill river.
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 27th December 2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 27th December 2020, 10:41 AM   #5
M ELEY

The fascinating thing about these axes is that they truly 'walked the path' between two separate worlds. Made by Europeans, but sold to and used by Native Americans, they are both Ethno and non-Ethno pieces! Although a gruesome weapon in a fight, they were as essential as side knives for these warriors.

Here is another from my collection. This early piece might in truth be only a tool as it is very stocky and heavy (most, but not all spike tomahawk heads weigh less that a few pounds at most while this one might tip the scale!). Early iron spike ax with forging flaws and nice patina. Haft is probably modern replacement.
Attached Images

Old 27th December 2020, 11:01 AM   #6
M ELEY

Hammer pole axes were another popular ax of this era (18th-19th c.), but with very rare exception, were not used by the native peoples. These types were carried by soldiers, fur traders, explorers, etc. Some were mostly for tool use first, but also as a weapon in a pinch. Here are two early examples. The smaller piece is a true tool ax from around the time of the American Revolution. The 'hammer' end was indeed used for driving in nails/pegs. Note the nail pulling slot is a much later addition to this ax, which was drilled out and cut to form the slot.

Compare the smaller ax to the larger example and you will not the huge hammer end to the head. This end was NOT used as a tool, but served as a counter weight to give heft to the ax. This second example is a type known as a 'rifleman's belt ax', Second Pattern as identified by Hartzler's book and Neumann's 'Swords and Blades of the American Revolution'. If you didn't know what you were looking at, most would swear this is just a common shingling tool. This is why collecting these types can be tricky. Spike axes of old influenced the trench axes and fire axes and boy scout axes later!! Likewise, these hammer pole axe/tomahawks certainly morphed into the patterns of later tool axes. This ax is both tool and weapon and does deserve the title of 'tomahawk'. It should be noted that hammer pole tomahawks were issued to Sam Houston's 'Texican Army' and were used to graphic and bloody effect against Santa Anna's army after the Alamo. Likewise, Davie Crochet himself carried a presentation hammer pole tomahawk presented to him by friends in the 1820's.
Attached Images

Old 27th December 2020, 11:14 AM   #7
M ELEY

Finally, just to cap off the subject of fur trade weapons, no collection would be complete without the side knives carried during the period. Here is a primitive bowie-style knife with clipped point, wood slat grips with copper pins securing it to the tang.

The other piece is one that is fit for Paul Hogan! Measuring almost 19" long, the hilt is an old honey patina stag horn while the trade blade is spear-point style. You will note the maker's stamp, which I unfortunately can't make out, that was so typical of trade blades being sent out to the western territories in the early to mid-19th century. This piece might have been used by a frontiersman or Native American. She's a true beast of a knife!! For similar examples, see Neumann's guide.
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 28th December 2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old 29th December 2020, 02:57 PM   #8
M ELEY

In 'Native American Weapons" by Colin Taylor, we see a very similar knife to my stag hilted piece on pg. 55
Old 29th December 2020, 04:06 PM   #9
colin henshaw

Hi Mark

Interesting thread. I do like the primitive knife with the antler handle.

Regarding "American Indian" tomahawks and pipe tomahawks ... I've seen quite a few around here in the UK over the years, but always been kinda wary of them in general, as many seem to have little wear and signs of use. I understand the American Indians more or less just kept on making many of their weapons, accoutrements etc for resale. In addition there seems to be a thriving market in modern replica American Indian type weapons. So provenance is extra important in this field.

Is the above an accurate view do you believe ? How would you see the situation in the US ?

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 09:04 PM   #10
CutlassCollector

Great display Mark,

Apart from fire axes boarding axes, being light, were also a useful substitute for a tomahawk or belt axe with the haft shortened. Many found their way ashore.
Some have been recovered from Native American sites and at least one from a burial site.
This one reputably found in New York State still has the remains of the broad arrow and with the spike removed or broken off.

CC
Attached Images

CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 10:26 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
The fascinating thing about these axes is that they truly 'walked the path' between two separate worlds. Made by Europeans, but sold to and used by Native Americans, they are both Ethno and non-Ethno pieces! Although a gruesome weapon in a fight, they were as essential as side knives for these warriors.

Here is another from my collection. This early piece might in truth be only a tool as it is very stocky and heavy (most, but not all spike tomahawk heads weigh less that a few pounds at most while this one might tip the scale!). Early iron spike ax with forging flaws and nice patina. Haft is probably modern replacement.

They very much did walk in two worlds, and while often colonist tools simply made by local smiths, they did find their way into tribal hands.
This one corresponds remarkably with an example in "Firearms, Traps and Tools of the Mountain Men", Carl P.Russell (1967, p.288, fig.75 a).
This is listed as from Onondaga, N.Y. as specimen #582, American Museum (Smithsonian).

William M. Beauchamp, "Metal Implements of the New York Indians" (N.Y.Museum, Bulletin 55, pp.1-86, Albany, 1902) includes this example and notes it has the initials J.G. on both sides of the 'bit'.

Onondaga in the 18th century was the capital of the Iroquois League, and during Revolutionary War , the Onondaga tribe allied with British. After the war they moved north into Canada as veterans were awarded land bounties under the Colonial New York Military Tract (1798).

The initials on the listed example in the museum suggests of course European use initially, but certainly these also fell into Onondaga hands.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 30th December 2020 at 02:34 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 02:32 AM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Bone handle butcher knife

In post #7, the top example with bone handle:
As Mark noted, the blade on p.55 ("Native American Weapons" , Colin Taylor) is very similar.
In "Firearms, traps, and Tools of the Mountain Man" (Carl P.Russell, 1967, p.197, 49a) is a knife with blade similar to these, and is listed as a "...battered and rusty big butcher knife illustrated in figure 49a and was taken from an Indian grave. It is now in the U.S. National Museum where records refer to it merely as 'bone handled knife; J.H.Devereaux. The haft is 5" long; the blade is 11" long and 1 1/2" wide. The broken point has been rounded".

It is noted further that in 1822-23, the U.S.Indian Trade Office , George Town, D.C. in its orders listed 50 dozen 'white bone knives' like this one.
Attached Images

Old 30th December 2020, 04:16 AM   #13
M ELEY

Hello Colin and thank you for responding to the thread. Yes, you are absolutely correct that there are many fakes out there, but 95% of them are the pipe tomahawks, which fetch thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars. Spike tomahawks are also faked on occasion, but outside of diehard collectors, many don't register these as 'true tomahawks'. The faked ones typically have false patina or modern rust. The fakers use old tool heads that they grind down to fit the right shapes. What remains is a minefield of misunderstanding, axes that AREN"T tomahawks but resemble them, foreign look-a-likes, etc. I find what helps me is understanding what isn't a tomahawk, look at those traits and compare them with examples I come across for comparison. Again, I'm no expert, but feel comfortable that most of my examples are solid. That being said, just because they are spike tomahawk weapons doesn't necessarily mean they were used by natives. That, as you pointed out, requires provenance. In any case, I won't deny this is (like boarding axes!) a slippery slope of collecting. Ten years ago, I had three other examples that I ruled out as look-alike and thus got rid of them-

Last edited by M ELEY; 30th December 2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 30th December 2020, 04:19 AM   #14
M ELEY

Hello David. Thank you so much for posting that piece! Yes, I had heard that boarding axes sometimes wound up in Native hands. It makes total sense, as both trade spike axes and boarding axes resemble each other and are contemporary. Likewise, one can see situations where sailors would encounter coastal tribes and make trades. I've even seen one documented boarding ax made up with brass trade tacks and sinew grip. Pretty fascinating!
Old 30th December 2020, 04:33 AM   #15
M ELEY

Hello Jim! Wow, do you have all of these sources? I'm still working on getting my hands on several of the sources you mention here. I'm making a copy of this thread for my own records, so thanks for that! I greatly appreciate the information you provided to support these pieces. I am still looking for a copy of Peterson's tomahawk book, which I hear is exceptional. Thanks also for posting a pic of that knife. I was apt to believe my example might be either a frontiersman versus Indian piece until I saw Taylor's book. After I saw several native examples including this one, I'm leaning more towards the latter now!
Old 9th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #16
Hombre

I find this thread extremely interesting... Tomahawks and Bowie knives... Unfortunately it is not easy to find books about the topic and when you do, you must order from the U.S.A and that will not be cheap...
Here are a few books I have about the tomahawk... have a few about the Bowie knife too..

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
Attached Images

Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2021, 04:33 AM   #17
M ELEY

Thank you very much for these references, Stephan! I have that last one and hope to pick up a copy of Baldwin's soon. Of course, Peterson would be the jewel to the crown, but as it is out of print, the copies go for obscene prices!! Again, my thanks for these recommendations-
Old 13th February 2023, 01:34 AM   #18
M ELEY

Default Early cast head spike tomahawk ax

My newest acquisition and one seeped in controversy for more than one reason.

First off, this is a ca.1830-40 cast head spike axe made in the pattern of the so-called 'Underhill Tool Company' axes ca.1840. The Underhill Tool Company was one of the earliest of the companies that used fine steel shaped and cast via triphammer processing (pre-Industrial Revolution, but definitely much faster than blacksmith-wroght pieces). This axe pattern with the pointed/pyramid shaped ears was taken from earlier trade pieces, including an Iroquois pattern. (see Neumann's 'Swords and Blades of the American Revolution', 55a, 56a, 27a, 29a. See also Hartzler's 'Indian Tomahawks and Frontiersmen Belt Axes, pg 38\fig 5, pg 39\fig 6, pg 49\fig 36 and pg 96\fig 44 for similar triangled ears and similar heads). The oval eye on mine drilled out and the haft very possibly original.

As these were the very first commercially produced models, they were included in catalogs of the time and indeed sold to hardware stores, suttlers, tool suppliers, etc. It is noted, however, that these early pattern heads were also put on wagons and sent out to the trading posts, just like the old hand-wrought spike axes of yesteryear. Thus, we have an axe pattern that truly served both worlds (Native Americans and settlers).
Attached Images

Old 13th February 2023, 01:46 AM   #19
M ELEY

The reasons of controversy? First off, there is a contention among tomahawk collectors. Some don't think the Underhill pattern types should constitute in the tomahawk category due to their being non-blacksmith and more pattern-made. Inclusion at local hardware stores of the era made some call foul, but the lines are very blurry in this time period. There are many later (1860's-90's) pipe tomahawks that have triphammer-made cast steel blades, but the collectors seem to have no problem with them! The nawsayers say there's no proof these spike axes were used by Native Americans! Yep, just like there is no proof that a specific spiked trade axe predating the steel types were handled by natives. Only direct provenance can prove that. That doesn't mean they weren't carried by such, it's just a 'can you prove it' moment. The fact is, hammer poles and spike tomahawks were carried by both European immigrants and Indians alike, as already said in this thread many times. The fact of the matter is, spike tomahawks were still being traded with the Indians, so this axe theoretically could have been a native axe. Or they could have been a settler's axe, soldier's axe, surveyer's axe or even belonged to a frontiersman getting ready to cross the Rockies. We simply don't know, but just because this type of axe was 'more commercial', doesn't put it out of the running for being exactly what it was called, a 'tomahawk axe'.
Attached Images

Old 13th February 2023, 01:59 AM   #20
M ELEY

Most of the Underhill Tool Axe Company patterns were so marked, but there are other types of the exact pattern coming out during this circa 1830-40 period of the same make, but marked differently. Likewise, many are unmarked (as is mine, making me suspect it might be a little earlier and has some subtle differences from the classic Underhill). Some say the reason they are unmarked is because they were made by a generic distributor and sold to companies like Underhill for resale.

Another theory (an ominous one and the second part of the controversy) is that they were left unmarked so if any future atrocities committed against settlers with these 'scalping' axes happened, the companies who sold them would not come under fire! The reservation system had started to gear up in this period and violence against the native peoples had stirred up much anger. Attacks on settlers and townships still occurred, so one can imagine why the trading of weapons to the Indians became risque.

Did the Underhill patterns become fire hatchets and camp tools? Undoubtedly, but how can one deny that the practice of trading weapons just stopped during this period? The Underhill type is the quintessential tomahawk, stronger than many of the old iron blacksmith types. You can see where I rest on this issue! There were just way too many of this pattern early spike axe for them to have been fire hatchets. Later patterns from the 1860's onward, very possibly, but the temtation to throw a crate of these heads on a wagon and head out to the trading post to score some beaver skins was just too great!

https://landandseacollection.com/id599.html

Here is an example of a LATE spike tomahawk (1860's-70's), cast steel tool-type used by reknowned chief Good Bear of the Hunkpapa Lakota Souix with prevenance. Proof these later spike types were Indian-used.

https://www.barnebys.com/auctions/lo...870-zb7grem-1l
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 13th February 2023 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 13th February 2023, 10:08 PM   #21
M ELEY

Default Another reference for posterity!

Here's the Tatca site. See near the bottom and note the straight blade on this early Underhill versus the curved edge on mine. I think mine's earlier?

https://tatcalite.tripod.com/id54.htm
Attached Images

Old 14th February 2023, 07:58 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is an amazing thread Capn, and interesting, but understandable, that these kinds of tools could easily serve as weapons whether naval shipboard arms, settlers tools or indeed American Indian weapons. It has been known of course that Indian tomahawks of assorted forms were of manufacture of American or European source from the 18th c. on.

The Underhill Edge Tool Co. began in 1820s with forge on Chester Rd. near Auburn, N.H.
In 1835, they acquired mill in Auburn Village and continued forging.

In 1852, George Underhill (1815-1882) with John Guage and other investors created Nashua Edge Tool Co.

In 1879 Nashua Edge acquired Amokeag Axe. Co.

In 1890 American Axe and Tool bought Nashua Edge.
They closed Nashua plant and moved to Douglas , Mass. as Douglas Axe mfg. but continued the Underhill brand.

It sounds like UNDERHILL name as a brand was kept. through these name changes (see attached 1859 catalog, reprinted 1980 by Ken Roberts publ.)

It seems like UNDERHILL was stamped on one side of head, with AMERICAN AXE on other.
Other examples with Underhill one side, O on the other.

In a somber but intriguing note, It is said that LIZZIE BORDEN used an UNDERHILL axe in the heinous murders that she was charged with in Fall River, Mass. Aug.14,1892.

However the forensics of this murder and clouded evidence were likely the reason she was acquitted. Actually, in the basement there were two hatchets; two axes and a hatchet head with broken handle found.
While none had blood on blades, presumably the broken handle was assumed due to that use.
The first pic (a poll axe) is the one purportedly used by Lizzie.

In other literature, the axe shown with images of Lizzie is a curious spike type, but no further detail offered......curious.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 15th February 2023 at 01:06 AM.
Old 15th February 2023, 04:58 PM   #23
M ELEY

Wow! Thank you, Jim, for this thorough information on the Underhill company and the connection with the Borden murder case, one of the most infamous in United States history! I seriously had no idea how far back the initial company existed, nor how long into the early twentieth they survived! My argument still stands that in the earlier and mid-19th, whether it was a blacksmith-wrought or trip hammer-forged spike axe, it would have been highly looked upon by native peoples. The spike tomahawk always existed as a tool/weapon in those earlier times. For those that shun the later 'hardware store' types (usually the pipe axe collectors whose taste and price range are admittedly on a far different level that the simple spikes), I'd remind that even the pipes were later cast models, many made of brass and pewter (not warrior axes by any means, but more ceremonial/hierarchy-based). Thank you again, JIm, for this archive of information, photocopied prints, etc! It really adds to the whole story of the developing axes in North America and their role in history!