Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st January 2013, 06:53 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Philippine Insurrection Era Kriss ...or later??

This is an attractive Moro kriss with some unusual characteristics, including the comparatively extreme curvature of the pommel. The quality of the wood is fine in both the handle and scabbard. Surprisingly the blade is rather poorly forged with many flaws and a far from perfect surface, though apparently older as the blade's ganja is separate.

The most intriguing aspect of the kriss is its carving on the scabbard and hilt, all very delicate work and filled with what I believe is lime. The carving is still largely intact, though clearly worn with age.

Above all, the eagle carved into the scabbard is most interesting, and I am curious if this is an insurrection era insigna or something later???

Battara and Spunjer...please chime in!!

Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

What an unusual piece! I am leaning towards Maranao blade, but the bird is not what I was expecting for an American influenced piece.

The bird might be still during the American period, though I think it stands on it's own. The thing is the Moros had nothing to do with the Philippine Revolution so the connections with that movement in the north didn't truly exist. I think the bird is independent. Not unheard of since the bird motif is in Maranao work like the sarimanok and others.

Carving on the scabbard does throw me a bit. The okir looks Maranao but the outer profile of the wranga looks like later Sulu influence (perhaps Maguindanao work?).

With the hilt wrap (and everything else) I would hesitantly place this in the first quarter of the 20th century.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 08:51 PM   #3
CharlesS

Battara,

Does the coat of arms on the eagle's(if it is an eagle) chest look familar to you?? Then there is the "M" in the center??? I know the insurrection era is a specialty of yours.

The bird may be American inspired, but is not copy of an American insignia I don't think.

Another strange one.....and that's one of the things that perplexed me as I know the Moros were not involved in the insurrection in alliance with the north, but fought their own war/s with the US.
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Spunjer

charles, do you think the kris is original with the scabbard? not 100% foolproof, but i tend to check if the groove/grooves line up with the asang2x (that's if everything else looks like it matches. sorta like my "just to make sure" measure).
with that said, if you look at the overall outline of the scabbard, it's exactly similar to this Sulu piece. only difference on yours is, it's not wrapped with rattan bands and it doesn't have MOP:
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:02 AM   #5
Spunjer

as for the coat of arms: i notice there are three stars and also two stripes (one stripe has horizontal lines while the other one has vertical lines; i think this was done to denote two different colors. one being red and the other one, blue). this part is an important clue. in the early days of american occupation, the shield has thirteen vertical stripes; an alternating red and white, and no stars. it was when the Philippines became a Commonwealth in 1935 that the three stars and two stripes were added. we can then assume that the eagle and shield was added after 1935. the question is; was the eagle/shield added after? from the way it looks tho, it appears that the eagle/shield/ukkil were done at the same time...
as far as the "M", that remains a mystery. hope this helped.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Ron and Charles, I have seen blades like this on both Sulu and Maranao pieces before. However as I said the wranga seems to me to be a mix.

Ron - good point on the stars and stripes on the wranga - I missed that. Therefore I agree that this could push the date a little further back. Does look like the Commonwealth crest, doesn't it?

Charles, Ron brings up another good point. Check to see how well the scabbard fits the asang-asang and fit in general. I still think that this scabbard was made for this kris, although if the fit is not good enough, it would definitely indicate otherwise. I guess I am looking at the okir of the pommel and that of the scabbard.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:41 AM   #7
CharlesS

The kriss fits perfectly in the scabbard...definitely "born together".

This later attribution may also go a long way in explaining the poor forging of the blade, that is compared to other and earlier pieces; it's not horrible.

We might say "more style than substance".

Still, quite a neat and attractive piece.

Last edited by CharlesS; 2nd January 2013 at 12:35 PM.