Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th January 2011, 11:51 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Philippine dagger with figural handle

Hello,

yesterday ended the auction of this IMHO very nice philippine dagger, unfortunately wasn't I the winner (hope someone from the forum win it) since I fall to sleep. But I like to know more about it, special the age.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEDWX%3AIT

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 04:23 PM   #2
tom hyle

Beautiful European-influenced piece from probably Luzon or Batangas. The necklace that loops down and joins onto the upper ferule is reminiscent of a feature sometimes seen on Malay kris sundangs from Mindinao.
Some research into the hair/head-dress might be fruitful.
Early 20th is my 2 cents on age. By Early 20th I mean pre-wwII, which seems in the PI, as in so much of the Earth, to be the most meaningful dividing point.
Note the handguard that is shaped like a stylized European renaissance sheild, such as a police badge.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hyle
Beautiful European-influenced piece from probably Luzon or Batangas. The necklace that loops down and joins onto the upper ferule is reminiscent of a feature sometimes seen on Malay kris sundangs from Mindinao.
Some research into the hair/head-dress might be fruitful.
Early 20th is my 2 cents on age. By Early 20th I mean pre-wwII, which seems in the PI, as in so much of the Earth, to be the most meaningful dividing point.
Note the handguard that is shaped like a stylized European renaissance sheild, such as a police badge.
Hello Tom,

thank you for your comment. So my impression was good and I have a reason to fall to depression because I pass it, special by this price!
You have noted the brass shield at the sheat?

Regards,

Detlef
Old 8th January 2011, 02:50 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef,
Don't feel bad as I was watching this also and was ready to place a bid when my daughter and her family showed up at my door. By the time that they had left I had forgotten to place my bid and just went to bed. I realized what I had done the next day but by then it was too late. When I saw the price that it had gone for I too was a little upset with myself.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello Detlef,
Don't feel bad as I was watching this also and was ready to place a bid when my daughter and her family showed up at my door. By the time that they had left I had forgotten to place my bid and just went to bed. I realized what I had done the next day but by then it was too late. When I saw the price that it had gone for I too was a little upset with myself.

Robert
Hello Robert,

thank you for your kind words! In German we have a slogan: shared grief is half sorry!

Regards,

Detlef