Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th April 2019, 01:22 PM   #1
Bill M

Please comment on this? I should take some better images.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=Kaskara
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 06:22 PM   #2
Edster

Bill M,

That's a very nice Kaskara. The blade has a Kar/Khor type fuller and was likely forged in the Tigre (Muslim) region of what is now Eritrea. My informants in Kassala in 1984 attributed the Kar's likely origin to Ethiopia, although that type of fuller was done in Sudan as well. Actually, the larger Beja peoples roamed over the area between Kassala, Suwakin, Mussawa, Red Sea Hills for several hundred years. Lots of spill over in these low lands. Kassaka itself is just a few miles from the Ethiopian border.

Stephen Woods information from Post # 36, collected in Eritrea in 1905-06, above describes this blade/fuller "species" as:
"2. But if the Kar is carved with a broad line up to the
point, it is of little value; and it is the sword of the high-
waymen only."

The Arabic script engraving, lines along edges of the fuller and the silver grip cover would put it as above the "highwaymen only" quality. Translation of the text would enhance our understanding of its origin and possible date.

The etchings on the blade are interesting, but don't really tell me any tales.

The silver grip cover isn't like the two known styles: diamonds and stars & Comets/dotted cross and would likely originate outside Sudan. The cross-guard looks kaskara style, but I don't know how far into Eritrea/Ethiopia the style penetrated. Some may argue that the style even originated there as similar versions have appeared on ancient Ethiopian wall paintings.

Hopefully others will add their interpretations.

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 12:06 PM   #3
Iain

The etching on the blade is consistent with a European trade blade, these were popular astral themes on European blades, the blade is very likely to be 18th century and I think the opposite of something for a highwayman. This is the problem with some of the native classifications, depending when they were compiled they may refer in some cases to locally made blades that were inferior but obviously don't cover very good imports like this one.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 01:35 PM   #4
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
The etching on the blade is consistent with a European trade blade, these were popular astral themes on European blades, the blade is very likely to be 18th century and I think the opposite of something for a highwayman. This is the problem with some of the native classifications, depending when they were compiled they may refer in some cases to locally made blades that were inferior but obviously don't cover very good imports like this one.

I appreciate your inputs, Iain and Edster. The blade, in hand, seems of good quality. Someone on another forum, thought it might have been a German import. There are some markings they thought relevant.

"Good quality" has to be relevant to the society as we know different techniques were made within the sociology/craftsmen of the makers.

A Tibetan sword "hairpin" pamor seems lesser quality to a Chinese sword, different than a Japanese sword, Moro kris, or Indonesian keris.

As noted with the date on the original post that it has been a time sense I have looked at it carefully. Please continue.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 05:02 PM   #5
stephen wood

It's a very good one.

I think it's an imported blade with decoration done locally but not necessarily all at the same time. The Arabic script is very well done whereas some of the other motifs are scratched on, which I have come across before.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 12:47 AM   #6
Edster

Stephen,

Local vs. foreign blade sources has often been a sticking point in kaskara attributions. Usually local smiths can produce a blade almost indistinguishable from munitions grade German work. I've wondered for a while if Blade Taper could be indicative of whether a kaskara type blade was forged locally or foreign. Bill M's blade has a slight taper throughout its length and then has a shallow "V" at the end and, as you say, would be indicative of foreign origin. I have four kaskara, locally made, that exhibit a steeper taper almost all the way to the end with a steeper point.

Both groups had files, etc. for final shaping of the blade. The difference may be related to the initial steel billet distributed to blade smiths before the forging process begins. European "put-out" systems would have had a more controlled system with more uniform billets that would yield uniform swords, made to contract specifications for length and width than what may have been available to Kassala smiths. Local forgers may have needed a more pronounced taper to achieve the target length with non-uniform billets.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote