Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Jeff D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Furrer
Jeff,
It is indeed acid etched..as are most all the crucible steel blades to show anything other than a mere hint of pattern when the light is just right, but the pattern which the acid reveals is in the steel not simply acid etched into its surface with a resist.

Ric
Hi Ric,

No not acid etched to bring out the wootz pattern, but a surface acid etched pattern. Very similar to the method used on European presentation blades. I will see if I can find a reference.

Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Richard Furrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D
Hi Ric,

No not acid etched to bring out the wootz pattern, but a surface acid etched pattern. Very similar to the method used on European presentation blades. I will see if I can find a reference.

Jeff
I disagree. I believe it is in the steel.
Ric
Richard Furrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 06:08 PM   #3
archer

Default More info

Ric, I'll re etch the top blade in the fifth photo, it maybe a burnished area?? Note the one in photo 4 has the V in both directions too. The Balkan jambia has the same markings on both sides. Is is possible after annealing the tang hilt end was tempered for strength /rigidity.

I think you are on target with the not likely crucible steel and only testing would tell. I'm not
convinced it is Shear steel leaving that open. It's most likely Mechanically produced given the
thicker finer graduations going down the blade. I'm more certain now that what we see is in
the steel. The smoother area at the hilt faintly has grain (pattern) continuing back. So pattern is likely real and suppressed by burnishing.

The other blade Dharia Jambiya likely from the same previous owner is even crazier. Here is a picture after some prep. Shot under a lighted magnifier. A pattern continues back into the polished area I appreciate the help from all of you Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote