Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th January 2005, 06:45 PM   #1
nechesh

Default Profiles

Hey folks! Now it may just be my inherent nosiness, but i would like to encourage all you guys to go back and fill out those pesky little profiles (yep, i look at 'em ). I find it helpful to know things about you guys, especially your general locations (which could aide in people w/ similar interests in the same area getting together) and your other interests (What! There is something else besides keris? ). Many who had this info up on the old site didn't re-up this time around.
The other benifit this has is that it at least makes it more complicated for those unscupulous and malipuative sellers who appear every so often on our site to try to sell their wares to the unaware.
So as The Who song goes, who are you?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

A good point David. I also look at at the profiles occasionally.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 08:07 PM   #3
Andrew

Thumbs up

I agree. I'd like to see the "Location" completed in particular.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 08:59 PM   #4
Henk

Thumbs up

I join the club. I use the profiles from time to time. Profession, location and other interests to get a bit an image of somebody.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Duly noted and modified .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 11:27 PM   #6
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Duly noted and modified .
LOL.
Old 16th January 2005, 11:54 PM   #7
nechesh

Thanks Rick. You were the slacker i was really after.
Old 30th January 2005, 09:24 PM   #8
nechesh

Default Who are you?

I just thought i would bump this one to the top, especially since we seem to have a large influx of new members, especially among the keris enthusiasts, who have not filled out any of there profile. Frankly gentleman, i would like to know more about you guys, especially since some of you are obviously keris dealers who prefer to be seen as collectors on this forum. This is not to say that you don't collect as well, but if you make all or some of your income from the sale of keris you owe it to this forum to identify yourself as such. We do already have a few dealers who participate on the forum who are very up front about their profession. I would personally like to see you guys be as honest with us. You know who you are, but so do i.
Old 30th January 2005, 10:02 PM   #9
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

I happen to agree with you Nechesh .
Step up Gentlemen .
Old 30th January 2005, 11:17 PM   #10
Kamil

Done. (Just collecting)
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 01:22 AM   #11
Sang Keris

is selling or exchange to upgrade collection included ...???

i thought you already know me better, ......necesh

and i'm not hidding my ID , i'm using the same nickand email address as the one i use on ebay..

any comment?

Last edited by Sang Keris; 31st January 2005 at 01:35 AM.
Sang Keris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 01:24 AM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 31st January 2005, 03:18 AM   #13
Alam Shah

Default grammar

Mine had been filled when i joined. I'm just a keris and other malay weapons collector.

Last edited by prime; 31st January 2005 at 05:31 AM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 03:34 AM   #14
nechesh

Just to be clear with you Weta, your idenity as a dealer was always clear to me, but for those who do not follow eBay that may not have been so clear. And though i am sure you do look to upgrade your personal collection as we all do, it would appear that you are also a full-fledged dealer as well. However, my request for up front identities was NOT aimed specifically at you. You are certainly NOT the only dealer to become involved on these keris threads without being clear about their occupation. There is, of course, nothing wrong with being a dealer and participating in this forum. It is just important to be clear with everyone the perspective from which you come.
Old 31st January 2005, 04:28 AM   #15
Andrew

Cool

Anyone with good intentions is absolutely welcome to participate here. The free exchange of information, knowlege and experience is important. It is, however, difficult at times to communicate effectively given the language and cultural diversity of our membership. This difficulty is increased by an order of magnitude when the specter of hidden agenda (whether real or imagined) is encountered.

Unfortunately, Keris threads appear particularly vulnerable to misunderstandings and arguments.

It is time for that to end.

Last edited by Andrew; 31st January 2005 at 05:00 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 31st January 2005, 07:20 PM   #16
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I HAVE NEVER LOOKED AT OTHER MEMBERS PROFILES AS I AM USUALLY TOO BUSY READING OR POSTING. PROFILES WOULD BE MORE IMPORTANT TO MODERATORS IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES OF THEIR JOB, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS!. I HAVEN'T PUT EVERYTHING IN MY OWN PROFILE FOR SECURITY REASONS AND BESIDES THERE ISN'T ENOUGH ROOM . THE PROFILES CAN BE USEFUL TO SEE IF ANY OTHER MEMBERS ARE IN YOUR AREA AND TO SET UP A GET TOGETHER. WE CAN USUALLY SEE WHICH MEMBERS ARE INTERESTED IN THE THINGS WE COLLECT IN THE POSTS AND PERHAPS SEND A EMAIL AND DISCUSS AND PERHAPS TRADE WITH THEM.
THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH HAVING DEALERS AND COLLECTORS HERE ON THE FORUM SHAREING KNOWLEGE. DEALERS GENERALLY HANDLE A WIDER VARIETY OF ITEMS AND A LARGER VOLUME THAN COLLECTORS SO ARE A VALUABLE SOURCE OF KNOWLEGE AS WELL AS NEW ITEMS FOR OUR COLLECTIONS. KNOWLEGE IS POWER!, KUDOS TO THE DEALERS WHO SHARE THEIR KNOWLEGE OPENLY HERE . IT WOULD BE TO A DEALERS ADVANTAGE TO HAVE THE MEMBERS AWARE OF HIS INVENTORY AS LONG AS HE DEALS FAIRLY HE WILL MAKE MORE SALES AND BUILD A GOOD REPUTAION WHICH IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD. WORD OF MOUTH IS STILL THE BEST FORM OF ADVERTIZEMENT ESPECIALLY AMOUNG COLLECTORS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 07:30 PM   #17
dennee

Vandoo brings up a good point about security, particularly if one uses a last name in or as a screen name. Assuming that anyone on here will have some sort of collection, adding a specific locality to a profile then is a potential invitation to burglary. For myself, I probably have nothing worth taking.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 08:02 PM   #18
Naga Sasra

Thumbs up

I for one have nothing to hide and will agree with nechesh in this matter, show us who you are so we all can communicate in a civilized manner.
As for security, I have not revealed anything that would breach my internal or external security the least, if it is compromised come meet my 45
However, to address the points brought up perhaps this issue can be solved rather easily by simply require all fields filled in at registration, if they are not filled in no password will be issued. Of cause this is up to the management of the forum. Perhaps that would have avoided some of the previous outbursts in our very sensitive Keris threads.
Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 11:05 PM   #19
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Thank you for your input Naga Sasra , you have been a mainstay of this forum for many years , kudos to you .

As a Staff member I can tell you that posters in this forum can be traced through their IP addresses which are not available to the general membership .

I would like to invite our newest keris enthusiasts to reveal whether they are Sellers or not .

I have found the off the cuff statements and inside jokes in recent forum keris threads to be offensive not only to the atmosphere of this forum but also insulting to serious keris enthusiasts . In my somewhat jaundiced view they have contributed to nothing but confusion and dis-information .

This forum has worked over the years in an atmosphere of honesty and trust .

It is our aim to see that it continues to do so .
Old 1st February 2005, 10:23 PM   #20
Henk

I completely agree, Rick.

I'm a very enthousiastic collector, mainly keris. And of course i do sell on ebay. Just to improve my collection a little bit. But the main point that I sell on ebay is that the Mrs. approves that I'm collecting but I'm not allowed to change our house into a museum.

For the atmosphere in this forum: Mostly it is friendly and we can learn from each other and that's very important. Sharing a hobby and discuss it all over the world with respect for each other. I just love it.

Sometimes I respond too quick and too enthousiastic and my opinion is not always completely correct. The comments on an incorrect opinion are sometimes very rude, I just don't take the effort to respond and correct myself because I was too hasty with my answer. It makes me think "here we have another wiseguy", just let it be, and I'm off.

Fortunate there are a lot of members who share their knowledge in a pleasant way and just give their opinion. And mistakes are corrected in a pleasant way guided with reasons why their opinion differs. And that's the way it should be.
And don't forget, making mistakes makes someone a human being.
Old 1st February 2005, 11:00 PM   #21
Battara
EAAF Staff

So Henk, what you're saying is that this forum is limited to human beings?
Old 1st February 2005, 11:14 PM   #22
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool Well .......

I'm the only exception Jose .
Old 2nd February 2005, 12:04 AM   #23
engar

I´m new at the forum and I would like to say hello to all the members. I live and study in Madrid, Spain, and become interested in Filipino weapons thanks to FMA. I´m not a collector at the moment (I´m really poor, like all the university students LOL) but I think that forum is very interesting and I hope to learn a lot of things about SEA weaponry.
Un saludo!
P.S.Excuse my horrible english
engar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2005, 12:21 AM   #24
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum engar .
I think you'll like it here .
How did you find us ?

ps
You're English is quite good , much better than my Spanish .
Old 2nd February 2005, 12:35 AM   #25
Battara
EAAF Staff

Con mucho gusto! Bienvenido! Don't worry, your English is better than mine! (and I live in America ).
Old 2nd February 2005, 02:29 AM   #26
nechesh

Yes Jose, but your diction and (no doubt) screen presence is impecible!
Old 2nd February 2005, 08:36 AM   #27
Henk

Battara,

You know what I mean . English is not my mother language and some expression we use here in Holland I litterally translate in English. Maybe there is an english version for such a dutch expression. But this one is clear I suppose.
Old 3rd February 2005, 10:40 PM   #28
engar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
How did you find us ?
Google makes miracles.
This morning I received my second item of my poor collection, a cheap Barong from Artzi´s shop http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=1570 Some of the rattan bindings are loose, how I can restore it?
Thanks in advance.
engar is offline   Reply With Quote