Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th December 2009, 03:14 AM   #1
Nathaniel

Default US import ban on Burmese goods??

Has anyone in the US ever ran across problems with US Customs and this ban on import of Burmese items...ie Burmese Dha?

http://burma.usembassy.gov/import_ban.html

I had a UK seller bring this up to me, which I wasn't aware of...I know several Americans who have successfully imported Dha from the UK.

What is some of the best things to label antique blades for customs? I've never ran into any problems.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 03:26 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
What is some of the best things to label antique blades for customs? I've never ran into any problems.
I would be very surprise if any custom agent would be able to tell the difference between a Burmese dha and one from any other origin. Why say in the description that that it is from Burma at all? Especially if it is being shipped from England?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 03:38 AM   #3
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I would be very surprise if any custom agent would be able to tell the difference between a Burmese dha and one from any other origin. Why say in the description that that it is from Burma at all? Especially if it is being shipped from England?
I agree, David, That is why I told them just to label it something more broad like Asian sword....or heck you could label it Thai sword...African sword...etc...unless any forum members work in customs I doub't they would know the difference :P I've had several swords shipped from abroad to the US...many labeled "Burmese Dha or Burmese sword...or Antique sword" without any problems....I was just surprized when this seller mentioned it to me about this ban...and I found the above link on the net.
Old 19th December 2009, 03:59 AM   #4
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Here is what the US Embassy link said:
http://burma.usembassy.gov/import_ban.html

U.S. Sanctions Info
Import Ban

Note: U.S. CUSTOMS SERVICE HAS THE FINAL WORD ON ALLOWABLE IMPORTS

For tourists and long-term American residents in Burma, the U.S. sanctions law prohibits the import of any products of Burmese origin, regardless of the country in which they are purchased. There are a few important exceptions:
Informational Materials Exception

Informational materials (OFAC General License #9) are exempt, including publications, films, posters, phonograph records, photographs, microfilms, microfiche, tapes, compact discs, CD ROMs, artworks, and news wire feeds.

"Artworks" is defined quite explicitly by the U.S. Customs Service to be: (1) Framed or un-framed paintings, drawings and pastels, executed entirely by hand (other than architectural or other commercial drawings). Hand-painted or hand-decorated manufactured articles are not included; (2) Framed or un-framed original engravings, prints and lithographs entirely executed by hand; and, (3) Original sculptures and statuary, in any material except for mass-produced reproductions or works of conventional craftsmanship of a commercial character, even if these articles are designed or created by artists.
Substantially Transformed Products Exception

Products of Burmese origin that are "substantially transformed" in a third country, as determined by the U.S. Customs Service’s Rules of Origin, are exempt.
Resident in Burma Prior to July 28, 2003 Exception

(OFAC General License #10) U.S. persons resident in Burma prior to July 28, 2003 may import into the United States personal and household effects that are products of Burma, including accompanied baggage and articles for family use, provided the imported items were purchased by the U.S. person prior to July 28, 2003, have been actually used abroad by the U.S. person or by other family members arriving from the same foreign household, and are not intended for any other person or for sale.

Also under OFAC General License #10, Burmese nationals are authorized to import into the United States personal and household effects that are products of Burma, including accompanied baggage and articles for family use, provided the imported items are ordinarily incident to the Burmese national’s arrival in the United States, have been actually used abroad by the Burmese national or by other family members arriving from the same foreign household, and are not intended for any other person or for sale."
Old 19th December 2009, 04:48 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Hi Nathaniel,
I usually request any sword to be described simply as "Old sword". So long as the item is described as what it actually is, rather than for example a "Letter opener", then I have never had any problems. The country of origin is NOT required by our Customs unless of course you are importing "commercial quantities". In any case it would probably be truthful to say that the item is a Thai sword as most are probably made there anyway.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

From my reading of the statuate, hand made 1 off swords would be exempt as they are both art and craft .. I really think this one is up to the officer inspecting the package .

Still, looks like there's a possible loophole there .

Remember, no tips on cheating Customs are allowed in these Hallowed Halls .

'Old Sword', however does not fall into that category .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 07:42 PM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
From my reading of the statuate, hand made 1 off swords would be exempt as they are both art and craft .. I really think this one is up to the officer inspecting the package .

Still, looks like there's a possible loophole there .

Remember, no tips on cheating Customs are allowed in these Hallowed Halls .

'Old Sword', however does not fall into that category .
Hi Rick, I certainly was not intending to suggest ways to get around the problem! The mention of "Letter opener" was in fact somthing which happened to me due to the seller trying to be clever, despite my explicit instructions regarding accurate description! The result was that the item was seized by our Customs on arrival in NZ. ....so MAKE SURE YOUR SELLER COMPLIES WITH YOUR INSTRUCTIONS.
In my opinion, trying to "cheat" Customs is a stupid thing to do, especially in a small country like ours. Names soon appear on the "Watch this person list" and future imports are given a very close examination, or disallowed.
Merry Xmas,
Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote