Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th September 2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Unhappy Death by a natural weapon

No need to mention names and I know this is not a man made weapon but I am sure you will all find this interesting. This is a totemic object, I think it is possible for us to see why. It is a real shame this has lost the barb.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 10:40 PM   #2
William.m

*deleted

Last edited by William.m; 6th September 2006 at 11:09 PM.
William.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 11:08 PM   #3
ariel

Well, Tim, I know why you are so reticent to go into details..... sad story, very sad....
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Bill M

I have held and fed tame stingrays in the Bahamas. They even had names -- "Sugar Ray" and "Ray Charles." They were scary, but did not hurt anyone. Just wanted a handout.

Wingspread of maybe three or four feet. Barbed tails.

This was off shore of St John's Island where the cruise ship stopped.

I hope the critters don't get a bad rep because of this incident. Steve would have hated that.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 01:15 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Red face

THE STINGRAY IS A MEMBER OF THE SAME GROUP AS THE SHARK AND HAS MAINTAINED ITS SAME FORM FOR MILLIONS OF YEARS. IT IS QUITE SUCESSFUL USING ITS SENSE OF SMELL AND MOUTH FOR ALL HUNTING OF SHELL FISH AND INVERTIBRATES AND DOSEN'T USE THE BARB FOR ANY REASON EXCEPT DEFENSE. MANY LARGE SHARKS LIKE TO FEED ON THEM AND ITS NOT UNUSUAL TO FIND BARBS AROUND THE MOUTH OF SHARKS WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN STRUCK. THE BARBS OR BARB ARE COATED WITH A MUCUS COVERING THAT IS TOXIC BUT NOT FATAL TO HUMANS. THE STINGRAY STRIKE IS MOST POWERFUL TO THE SIDES AND FRONT OF THE ANIMAL SO GRABBING OR TOUCHING ITS HEAD WOULD INVITE A STRIKE.
I THINK THE SPEED, RANGE, POWER AND DANGER WERE UNDERESTEMATED IN THIS CASE WITH FATAL RESULTS. THE PROPER HANDELING OF DANGEROUS ANIMALS DOESN'T LOOK AS INTERESTING AS TAKING RISKS SO TAKEING UNNECESSARY RISKS WAS PART OF THE SHOWS REASON FOR SUCESS. A NARROW MISS BY A STRIKING SNAKE, CROC OR OTHER DANGEROUS ANIMAL IS ALWAYS MORE INTERESTING THAN JUST LOOKING AT ONE. BUT WITH WILD ANIMALS AND EVEN VERY WELL TRAINED ONES IT WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU SOONER OR LATER. IT MAY ALSO TEACH SOME PEOPLE WITH NO EXPERIENCE AND POOR JUDGEMENT TO TRY WHAT THEY HAVE SEEN WITH BAD RESULTS. IT IS A SHAME AS HE WAS A INTERESTING AND LIKABLE FELLOW BUT HE HAD A INTERESTING LIFE DOING WHAT HE LIKED BEST. MY SYMPATHYS ARE WITH THE FAMILY AND THEIR LOSS, THE CHILDREN HAVE LOST A VERY FUN DAD .

THE STINGRAY BARBS HAVE BEEN USED AS ARROW AND SPEAR POINTS IN SEVERAL PARTS OF THE WORLD FOR A LONG TIME. THEY ARE ALSO ON THE MENU IN CERTIAN COUNTRYS, AND THE SKINS ARE USED FOR SWORD GRIPS,SCABBARD COVERINGS, BILLFOLDS ECT.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 02:06 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs down

The Gentleman in question took extreme risks with deadly species for years; it only stands to reason that such activity would only end badly .
I'm failing to see the connection with the theme of this forum in these posts .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 02:00 PM   #7
mmontoro

Tim,

Is that piece from the Solomon Islands?
mmontoro is offline   Reply With Quote