Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th September 2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Clubs & Arrows

Default Ram's Head sword Help

Hello,
These were included in a collection that I picked up recently, and I was wondering where they're from, and if they're tourist or not. The sword with multiple Ram's heads measures just under 29" in overall length with the blade measuring 24 3/4" of the total measurement. the single Ram's head sword is 25" overall, with the blade accounting for 20 3/4" of the measurement. I normally collect Pacific Island arms, so these swords are a little beyond my knowledge.

Thank you for any help,
Joe
Attached Images

Clubs & Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Rich

A bit strange indeed. Don't know what they are, but look a bit like a cross between a shotel and a shamshir or tulwar. Interesting.

Rich

Last edited by Rich; 16th September 2008 at 10:18 PM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 07:53 PM   #3
ariel

Just look at my avatar ....
Laz Shamshir?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 01:01 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These items are most interesting, and seem like relatively modern representations of earlier weapons, but probably more intended for possibly parade or ceremonial use. The rams head pommel application is one of a number of zoomorphic hilts of India, in this case termed 'meshamukhi' (lit. =sheep head) noted briefly in Pant ("Indian Arms & Armour, p.113).

These seem used on tulwar hilts from late 17th century into the 18th, but this cast example is much later, probably 19th c. It seems that the rams head was quite popular in Rajasthan and in E. Jaiwent Paul (p.138 and p.140, "Arms and Armour:Traditional Weapons of India") examples of rams head hilts are shown, one from Jaipur (Rajasthan). Apparantly the ram symbolism is prevalent in not only India but into ancient lore extending to the Celts and other groups.

The double rams head representations on the dramatically recurved bladed swords seem historically motivated with the hilt design recalling that of the chilanum daggers, which in turn seem to recall ancient anthromorphic hilts from as early as the Hallstadt culture. The rams heads paired again seems to suggest ceremonial intent, and the recurved blades suggest those that we have discussed as 'Black Sea yataghan/Laz bicagi" which derive from 19th century Turkish regions, and Ottoman influence.
These are definitely unique, which is why I dont believe they would be for tourist appeal, but more carrying historic symbolism for either parade or ceremonial use, and more modern.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 01:23 AM   #5
katana

The double headed hilt form is very similar to the Celtic hilt form and reminds me of this thread.....
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=khanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
....... Apparantly the ram symbolism is prevalent in not only India but into ancient lore extending to the Celts and other groups.
Coincidence ??

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 04:02 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Bingo!!! Nicely done David, thats exactly what I was thinking of.

It seems like there have been many atavistic resurgences of weapon styles and forms in ethnographic weapons in various cultures, but India seems to often be a case in point. The presence of ancient weapon forms occur in so many examples, and the chilanum has always reminded me of these symmetrical anthromorphic forms from Celts to the Scythians, which of course are key in early Indian history.

Even the dramatic recurved blade here that we know so well in shape from the Laz bichagi (BSY) seems to recall the ancient recurved blade of the scramasax of Hallstadt (Burton, p.263).

These weapons are not 'reproductions' in the true sense, but when intended for ceremonial or 'revival' type use, seem more inclined to utilize these classical forms. This is my opinion or perspective on these, and I always look forward to hearing those of others.

Thanks very much David
All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote