Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 24th November 2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default New Kris Bladed Dagger

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago. Another kris dagger that I believe is probably from Luzon. The carabao horn grip has brass fittings and the tang of the blade extends through the hilt and is then peened over. It looks like it could have had decorative twisted wire in the spiral groove at one point. The scabbard (which I'm not sure is original to the dagger) is made of wood with braided rattan bands of which one or more are missing. One of the odd things about this dagger is that the hilt is off-set to the blade and the guard is longer on one side like you would find on a single edged fixed blade knife. The pictures below are from the auction. Age I would put at late 1890s to early 1900s. All comments welcomes.

Overall Length = 15-3/8 inches
Blade Length = 10-3/4 inches
Blade At Widest = 1-1/16 inches
Blade At Thickest = 3/16 inch
Hilt Length = 4-5/8 inches
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 24th November 2010 at 07:57 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Sajen

Again a very nice dagger you add to your collection, congrats!

Best regards,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:47 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well once again Robert, I bow in your presence. I would agree with you on dating this piece. You are also correct in that it is from Luzon. In fact I would say that it is Ilokano from Ilocos Norte where they are known for wavy blades with tangs that go all the way through. I may post my own example next for comparison if you need. Nice piece.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:59 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Detlef, Thank you very much for your kind words. I always enjoy finding something new with these small differences in it construction to add to my collection.

Jose, I am very glad to hear I got the dating right on this one and I would be more than happy if you would post pictures of your dagger for comparison.

Detlef and Jose, Again my thank for your interest and comments.

Robert
Old 28th November 2010, 02:47 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Ok here is my Ilocano dagger. It is from the beginning of the Philippine Revolution (notice the triangle, stars, and 8 ray sun face). On the back, the inscription states "Ylocos Norte" from the town of Laoag.
Attached Images

Old 28th November 2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Jose, Thank you very much for posting your fine dagger for comparison. The only problem is that it makes mine look rather plain compared to it. I've always wanted to find one with the blade marked with the triangle, stars and sun face but so far no luck. One day hopefully I will. In the mean time, if you get tired of looking at this beautiful dagger of yours you already have my address so please feel free to box it up and ship it. What is your opinion on the hilt being off-set to the center of the blade and the guard being longer on one side than the other like what would normally be found on a single edged fixed blade knife It is
unlike anything I have ever seen on any dagger before. I have added a new picture below that shows this arrangement better than the ones above.

Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 28th November 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 28th November 2010, 04:25 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

A little off set is not uncommon. The crossguard I have seen like this too, but for the function, I don't know.
Old 28th November 2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Yes, I too have seen one or the other on a dagger before but this is the first time that I have seen both on the same dagger.
Old 28th November 2010, 07:00 PM   #9
carlos

Congratulations Robert!! Is a beatiful dagger, Your collection is IMPRESSIVE!! I always read your post, normally your pieces are very similars to my pieces!! we have the same type of pieces.
best regards
carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Jose, Thank you very much for posting your fine dagger for comparison. The only problem is that it makes mine look rather plain compared to it. I've always wanted to find one with the blade marked with the triangle, stars and sun face but so far no luck. One day hopefully I will. In the mean time, if you get tired of looking at this beautiful dagger of yours you already have my address so please feel free to box it up and ship it.
Robert
Thank you Robert. I think that this was made for an officer of some kind, but not sure. I have only seen one other one like this with a slightly different crossguard and that one sold 10 years ago on ebay. I guess they are not that common.

And yes if I were to throw it in the trash, I'll let you rummage.