Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 23rd September 2022, 06:10 PM   #1
Richard G

Default Naval Dirks

These came up for sale recently in the UK. Described as midshipmens' dirks, and of a type usually described as such. But these are marked, which would indicate they were not in private ownership, but rather part of a store or inventory.
Any ideas?
Best wishes
Richard
Attached Images

Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2022, 08:53 AM   #2
David R

More of a hanger than a dirk I would say. It would make a very nice bandsman's sword!
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2022, 03:41 AM   #3
M ELEY

I agree with David that this is more of a short hanger versus a dirk. As you point out, most midshipmen's dirks were 'private purchase' for officers and not marked (as far as I know!) for the ship or rack number, etc. Although I feel strongly yours is a probably a naval piece, many of the short hangers of this type had equal distribution to both naval and infantry units.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2022, 05:09 PM   #4
Richard G

Thank you both for your comments.
They are not actually mine. I agree they are more hanger than dirk, and bandsman's sword is certainly a possibility. The scabbards have a 'Parker Field police hanger' look about them and i wonder if they could have been for use by law enforcement of some sort. Dockyard watchmen; that sort of thing.
Best wishes
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2022, 06:02 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Thank you both for your comments.
They are not actually mine. I agree they are more hanger than dirk, and bandsman's sword is certainly a possibility. The scabbards have a 'Parker Field police hanger' look about them and i wonder if they could have been for use by law enforcement of some sort. Dockyard watchmen; that sort of thing.
Best wishes
Richard
I think that is a good suggestion Richard, and the 'Parker Field' note well placed, though these police weapons were more austere. As Mark has noted, the issuance type markings would not be found on dirks or for that matter any naval officers sword.
It is well known that there were quasi military/law enforcement groups that patrolled docks to guard the valuable commodities at hand while being loaded onto vessels. As these were privately organized and controlled it makes sense that higher end weapons like this would be among these.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote