Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 18th August 2017, 10:35 PM   #1
Sajen

Default My Sumba collection and some observations

Hello dear members,

I try in the moment to catalog my collection with pictures and descriptions and since I've noticed some noteworthy mannerisms by my Sumba blades I've decided to share my Sumba collection and my observations with you.

I'll start with my Sumba shield, called tamua, made from water buffalo hide. It's approx. 66 cm in diameter.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 10:47 PM   #2
Sajen

Next piece is a Sumba knife, very worn and well used, I don't know if there is a special name for this knives or if it get called like the swords, kabeala. It's 35,5 cm long inside scabbard, 34 cm without and the blade is 22 cm long. Blade is 3 mm thick at the handle. Handle and also ferrule from horn (water buffalo).
Attached Images

Old 18th August 2017, 11:07 PM   #3
Sajen

Next piece is a sword where the handle is shaped like a male human and the scabbard mouth like a horse. The Sumba people are great horsemen so it's clear from where this motive coming. So far I know this type of swords are found around Bondokodi but I don't have any evidence for this. The sword is 74 cm long inside scabbard, 67,5 cm without and a little bit over 3 mm thick at the handle. Handle is made from beautiful grained wood and shows a very nice patination.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 19th August 2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 18th August 2017, 11:25 PM   #4
Sajen

Next but not last piece is a very classic kabeala like many from you will have seen before and described in Zonneveld on page 59, the blade broadens toward the tip. The handle seems to be worked from the same wood (kemuning?) like the previous example and has a long "ferrule" from horn, by this example not cracked like many times seen. 62 cm long inside scabbard, 58 cm without and 6 mm thick at the base.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 19th August 2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old 18th August 2017, 11:34 PM   #5
Sajen

Last piece is a kabeala with whale bone handle, clearly a sword for someone of wealth. 65 cm inside scabbard, 62,5 cm without and the blade is also 6 mm thick at the base.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 19th August 2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 18th August 2017, 11:50 PM   #6
Sajen

Before I will tell you my observations (maybe you have seen them byself already) I will show you some other swords from Sumba I don't have in my collection (sadly) but I hope that I can add similar examples in future to my collection.

There is a type of kabeala knives and swords similar to the shown example in post #3 but it shows as handle also a male human but the scabbard mouth is shaped like a female human, a clearly sexual symbol, see pictures from a knife which was sold not long ago by ebay. I've seen this type also as sword.
Attached Images