Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 24th March 2015, 07:27 PM   #1
Spunjer

Default 1st Republic Luzon Bolo

got back from my first ever Timonium trip, and was rewarded with this 1st Republic piece that is so hard to find. a couple things attracted me to this particular piece:
one, the intricacy on how the handle was carved out of carabao horn. there are numerous silver pins accentuating the dark background, giving it a stunning contrast. there are two or three pins missing, but it's small enough to not distract the look. also, a silver strip is missing, but from the way it looks, it must have been gone for awhile, since the patina is pretty uniform throughout.
the second reason i got attracted to this is the blade. it appears that it was a reformed budiak, making it truly unique. it does have some rough spots towards the tip, but talking to a fellow forumite, he doesn't have a problem smoothing this out. can't wait to see the final outcome. another thing is, this piece is a beast! it's about the same size as a barung...
there were some other good stuff at Timonium, something i have been missing out all these years, lol. Met some new friends as well, which is a big plus!! for sure, there will be a next time!!!
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 08:04 PM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

What a beautiful piece Spunjer. I can see why you were attracted to it. Can you tell me the actual weight of this piece? I cannot wait to see it again after you have had the restoration done to it. My congratulations to you on this rare and wonderful new addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Ron,

beautiful addition to your collection, like Robert I am curious to see it again after the blade polish. When you ever get tired to look at it.....

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 11:29 PM   #4
Spunjer

thanks!
as for your inquiry, Robert, it weighs a little over 2 pounds.
yes, I'm interested as well on the outcome. I will definitely post pics once I get it back. another curiosity: there were some actions going on the blade, which made us think it's laminated.
Old 25th March 2015, 12:17 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

So you finally did get it! Good! Better in person and heavy (I was debating on this as well and was at his table).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 12:39 AM   #6
mdp10003

Beautiful!
mdp10003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 02:06 AM   #7
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
So you finally did get it! Good! Better in person and heavy (I was debating on this as well and was at his table).
literally on the very last second! he was putting it away, and he was about to close the lid, lol. I could see it slipping away very slowly.
yeah, I've been contemplating hard about it all weekend...
Old 25th March 2015, 02:42 AM   #8
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Ron,

Congrats for obtaining this special piece with supersweet hilt!

Quote:
the second reason i got attracted to this is the blade. it appears that it was a reformed budiak, making it truly unique.
I'm not yet convinced that the blade is a recycled budiak - that would imply removing a lot of metal!

Keeping my thumbs pressed that the pitting is not too deep and am looking forward to seeing it etched!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 03:11 AM   #9
Spunjer

Hello Kai,
yes, they would have to remove a lot of metal, but OTOH, that would be much easier than forging a whole new blade, yes?
the overall shape of the blade just throws me off. never seen a Luzon bolo in which the median ridge this pronounced. it has a diamond cross section, much like a budiak. another thing is something that I believed we have discussed before, as in during this time period, there was a strong resurgence on anything Moro (reason you will see kris-like dagger in the Ilocos region; also how some moro krises are rehilted and resheathed, aka visayan krises). a budiak would definitely fit right in...
Old 25th March 2015, 04:15 AM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

One additional note, Tagalog dagger blades (as well as other Luzon blades) did have diamond cross sections during this period as well.........
Old 25th March 2015, 03:48 PM   #11
Maurice

Congratulations Ron,

What an awesome piece.
The handle is striking and has a good old patina.
Great carving too...

Regards,
Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 07:50 PM   #12
kino

A beautiful hilt, the details of the carvings are amazing.
I'll have to side with Kai on the blade. It seems that the medial ridge veers off center. Like most, I'd like to see the outcome of the polish and etch.

Side note...I've been contemplating the Baltimore show, but I just can't justify shelling out for the plane fare from the West Coast, accommodations, rental car, while that money could be spent towards something that's on the auction block online. On the other hand the camaraderie with fellow members would be priceless.
if you or anyone got photos of the show, post them..
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 06:07 AM   #13
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A GREAT CATCH IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW WHO MADE THESE, HOW MANY YEARS THEY WERE MADE AND HOW MANY WERE MADE.
JUDGING FROM THE QUALITY OF HORN CARVING, SILVER WORK AND BLADE WORK (SOME WITH FANCY INLAY OR ENGRAVING) AND EVEN THE LEATHER SCABBARDS THAT SOMETIMES ACCOMPANY THEM. THAT MEANS A VERY HIGH QUALITY SHOP WITH SEVERAL HIGHLY SKILLED ARTISTS WORKING IN SEVERAL FIELDS. THESE WERE MADE FOR THE ELITE OR HIGH RANKING OR PRESENTATION SO THERE SHOULD BE RECORDS OF ALL SUCH SHOPS ITS OWNERS AND NOTED CRAFTSMEN.
I ONLY HAVE ONE IN MY COLLECTION AND PHILIPPINE KNIVES OF THIS QUALITY ARE FEW AND COME IN A VARIETY OF FORMS BUT THE WORKMANSHIP ALWAYS LOOKS SIMILAR. I SUSPECT THERE WAS ONLY ONE OR TWO SHOPS MAKING THIS QUALITY OF KNIFE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 08:46 AM   #14
carlos

Congratulations !! This piece is wonderful !!! One of my favoutites types of knives ! Philippines, horn and silver !!
Enjoy the bolo !!
Thanks !!
Carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 02:53 PM   #15
Spunjer

Quote:
Side note...I've been contemplating the Baltimore show, but I just can't justify shelling out for the plane fare from the West Coast, accommodations, rental car, while that money could be spent towards something that's on the auction block online. On the other hand the camaraderie with fellow members would be priceless. if you or anyone got photos of the show, post them..
it's one a year event, Al. definitely worth it. attaching pictures (sorry, kinda biased. i wished i have taken more pics, but wasn't sure how the committee people would think about it)

good point on some luzon with diamond cross section, jose! i will definitely post once i get it back.
barry, i'm with you that this type is an enigma. we do know this particular style is from luzon, but specifically what part, we don't know.
it has been postulated that the decoration on the handle of these blades corresponds with the rank of the owner in the first republic army.
thanks carlos! i was wondering if you can post yours as well? i can't seem to find it in the archives.
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2015, 04:23 PM   #16
kino

Thanks for sharing the photos. I see nothing biased about them .
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 04:38 PM   #17
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE KAMPILIANS MUST HAVE KNOWN I WAS NOT GOING TO BE THERE AND IT WAS SAFE TO COME OUT OF HIDING. I CAN SEE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AN EXPENSIVE TRIP JUST FROM THESE PICTURES.
NOT KNOWING THE SHOP WHO MADE THESE FANCY EDGED WEAPONS IS KIND OF LIKE NOT KNOWING THE NAME OR COMPANY WHO MADE ROLLSROYCE CARS. VERY STRANGE !! THE INFORMATION MUST BE OUT THERE SOMEWHERE AND THE COMPANY AND ITS ARTISTS DESERVE RECOGNITION AND A PLACE IN HISTORY.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 05:48 PM   #18
Spunjer

Thumbs up

finally got this piece back from Philip Tom. he did such an excellent job on removing the crud, polishing, and finally, etching the blade. i stand corrected in that the blade is purely Luzon. thank you guys! i took the liberty in placing it next to a barung for comparison. note the bulk on this beast. you could also see the hardened edge on it.
Attached Images

Old 15th April 2015, 05:53 PM   #19
Spunjer

here it is compared to another itak, although the latter is more of a knife. i also notice that the smaller one has a tad more intricate decoration on the handle. the blade on the smaller piece has busier lamination pattern as well...
Attached Images

Old 15th April 2015, 06:09 PM   #20
Sajen

Hello Ron,
again, it's a beauty beast! It has now received the care that was needed. I am green with envy.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 09:00 AM   #21
carlos

Hello !! sorry for delay in answer, I didn,t read you want some pictures os my carved horn hilt.
Attached Images

Last edited by carlos; 14th May 2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 15th May 2015, 11:59 AM   #22
Spunjer

Thanks Carlos,
this would make a nice data bank for future reference. thank you!
Old 26th May 2015, 04:25 PM   #23
carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
Hello !! sorry for delay in answer, I didn,t read you want some pictures os my carved horn hilt.
More pictures ...
Attached Images

Old 26th May 2015, 04:38 PM   #24
Battara
EAAF Staff

Carlos would you post more pictures or the one with the horn fist hilt please?
Old 10th June 2015, 07:26 PM   #25
Dimasalang

Excellent.
Why can't I ever find one of these.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 11:39 PM   #26
Battara
EAAF Staff

I understand Kevin, not many out there.........
Old 13th January 2023, 08:06 PM   #27
xasterix

Necro'ing this thread, sharing a simpler sample of what may be another First Republic (or older) bolo. Hoping other members would share theirs as well...these elaborately-hilted blades seem to have run on a "limited edition" basis during its era.
Attached Images

xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2023, 02:01 PM   #28
Rafngard

I was lucky enough to pick this one up recently.
I'm really happy with it.

Thanks,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 10:01 AM   #29
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafngard View Post
I was lucky enough to pick this one up recently.
I'm really happy with it.

Thanks,
Leif
Great sample Leif! Also indicative that when push comes to shove, even the pretty blades can be used for battle (as I think this one did- probably even several engagements).
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2023, 02:12 AM   #30
Battara
EAAF Staff

Ragnar, this is an expensive blade, and the horn hilt probably had twisted silver wire in some of the crevices. I'm wondering if the bronze on this was added later to replace silver mounts.