Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th October 2021, 07:57 AM   #1
werdna

Default rebinding the leather grip on kaskara

Hello,I have some Sudanese kaskara,a few of which have lost the leather wrap on the grip and yesterday I watched an auction and 2 kaskara had very new leather wrapped around the grip,the color was great and the leather width looks right,so I want to re-wrap the leather grip,to do this I need to be able to buy the long leather strip,I live in New Zealand so this is not available here,can anyone tell me the contact details for a company/person who sells the wrapping leather in the correct color,width etc.I am not wanting to do this to unfairly raise the value but purely for the aesthetics as they look so much better with the grip in good condition
regards
Andrew Freeston
werdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 01:17 PM   #2
David R

I tend to buy stuff like that on Ebay.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 01:44 PM   #3
Edster

My Google search on "Leather Lace New Zealand" produced several suppliers. Prices seem high, but they likely can point you in the right direction. I can see your issues since most leather suppliers have cow leather. You'll need sheep leather strips to be authentic and the correct thickness. Also, leather goods makers like sheep skin clothing are likely to have remnants in the width you need.

Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 06:48 PM   #4
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster View Post
... You'll need sheep leather strips to be authentic and the correct thickness. ...

Ed

Somehow I feel Sheep and NZ are not strangers.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 09:47 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Ed, I'd think Goat skin might make a better wrap for the handle. Goats were plentiful in the area and Goat skin is a much tougher leather .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 10:57 PM   #6
Edster

Rick,

Yes, good catch. Goat skin would be a better choice and more "authentic" to a Sudanese context. My suggestion for sheep skin was perhaps better commercial availability in NZ as Kronckew alludes.

Sometimes it's difficult to keep the goats separated from the sheep.
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 02:16 PM   #7
drac2k

Go to a thrift store, find a used 1980's braided leather belt, and unweave the strapping; you will have multiple lengths of worn, weathered leather approx. 50" to 60" that should work quite nicely.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 02:39 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

This stuff look ideal. Indian so quite likely to be goat. Wax your hand and move it around the grip and it will soon look used to some degree.

https://addsomesparkle.co.uk/product...ce=google&utm_
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 02:44 PM   #9
MitsuWa.

My first thought was you are not that far from Australia, kangaroo hide can be had as thick as goat skin.
MitsuWa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2021, 04:35 AM   #10
werdna

Default Leather cord

Hello,I would like to thank the people who posted replies to my question,This was very helpful and I have now found some ''aged'' leather cord which I think will be very good to use as ''wrap'' around the grip.Once I have received it I will post an update with a before and after wrapping kaskara and look forward to all comments on it
regards
Andrew Freeston
werdna is offline   Reply With Quote