Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th August 2022, 11:14 AM   #1
xasterix

Default Hybrid kris for comment

Just got this kris with a Luzon animal horn hilt. Open to comments and analyses. My initial assessment is that it's a late 1800s kris blade that was re-hilted in Luzon sometime during the American era, early 1900s-preWW2 (the knot holding the scabbard looks non-Moro). Also wondering if anyone else has a similar hybrid combo (Luzon peened hilt + Moro weapon). TIA!
Attached Images

xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2022, 02:54 PM   #2
chmorshuutz

Always interesting to see hybrid Filipino blades. I remember seeing kris with traditional hilt from Aklan or Iloilo and another one with traditional hilt from Rizal, it never looks bad.
chmorshuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2022, 08:31 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

From the top of the blade, the okie, and the scabbard, this was originally a Maguindanao kris that might have belonged to a datu, but rehilted and "roped" at a later time.

I LOVE the blade. I finished re-inlaying the missing silver into a similar design in another Maguindanao blade not too long ago. (I'll be working on the hilt sometime in the near future....).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2022, 02:32 AM   #4
kai

I agree with Jose that the blade and scabbard are Maguindanao.

Blade looks turn of the century to early 20th c. to me (a close-up of the base of the blade taken exactly vertical from the plane of the blade really helps).

I doubt that this is a peened tang though: While it is possible they extended the original tang, this looks more like a nail holding the pommel plate and washer IMHO. Xas, can you possibly sense with a really strong magnet?

The hilt looks like Filipino work but could as well be US/European (that's quite a big piece of stag). Ferrule is Moro. The rope/knot work on the scabbard most likely being added by an US service man or later owner.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2022, 09:57 AM   #5
xasterix

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Kai, here's the gangya pic. The blade measure from the base of the gangya is 20 inches long. It's monosteel, very light, and flexible. The fuller is wide and deep. It's the lightest sword I've ever held for its size, to the extent that I can do flicking moves with it.

I ran a magnet over the hilt; it's confirmed that it's a peened setup. A guy familiar with Tagalog peens commented that the "punch" used (the 'nail' at the butt) looks very much like a ship rivet. It's the largest punch he's seen used on a traditional blade.

I've disassembled kris before with abnormally long tangs- some had their original tangs extended (additional material welded), or seemed to have been grafted with replacement tangs. Whichever the case it was for this particular kris- whoever put together this peened setup for the kris had a good sense of the wield "balance."

Also to add, regarding possible location of retrofitting: I've seen a few American-era Batangas or Cavite-made blades utilizing the same material (antler) and peen setup, so I'm betting this piece was modified there. There were also Pangasinan and Ilocos Norte blades of the same era made of antler, but their peen setup was different.
Attached Images

Last edited by xasterix; 27th August 2022 at 10:45 AM.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2022, 11:42 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Kai I agree with your dating of the blade. My nearly identical blade has lamination, and thus I would put mine at a little earlier.

Xasterix, I would agree that this type of peening or nail is Tagalog.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote