Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd April 2005, 05:35 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Question Tree resin as glue

Hello all, has anyone used and had good results using tree resin as glue in restoration.I have some resin and two knives where the old resin glue? could do with a reapplication.Thank you Tim.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 09:16 PM   #2
tom hyle

You're supposed to cook it down, I know that, and the fumes aren't good for you, although they may give you a Hel of a buzz depending on type of tree. Someone (Battara?) had a source of already cooked-down pitch? I tend to use modern adhesives.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 09:52 PM   #3
Federico

Ive used pitch black, a type of pitch used for chase/repousse for silver smithing, for restoration. I guess it is derived from pine resin. It has held up fairly well (no blades flying off yet) though I dont use any of the blades for hard use, so I dont know how well it would work for a user blade. I hear traditional cutler's pitch is usually a mix of stuff to make it harder, but I havent tried any of the recipes for it. There was a long discussion about culter's pitch and different recipes for it on the Himalayan Imports forum on Bladeforums.com a while back. You could trying searching for the old thread there.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote