Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th July 2012, 04:34 AM   #1
ASH

Default My best pieces.

Hello again

here's my last post of my goodies, these are the best of the bunch

-A nice 19th c. Maori taiaha. "Would love to find some more of these."

-A great parrying club called a qauata that comes from San cristobal island in the Solomon's.Good old ones like this are really hard to find. This one is quite nice with its super carved blade. And notice the stylized frigate bird motif, very cool.

-Last but not least.
Is a super rare club called a 'U'u coming from the Marquesas islands. these are probably the most coveted of all Polynesian weapons. Dr. Carol Ivory who is a leading authority and author of Marquesas art and has done extensive research on 'U'u club, was kind enough to take a look at mine. Her evaluation was that its from a rare group of clubs, that would be categorized as early transitional,Not pre-contact but not later 19th C. stuff made for sailors. She dates it to around 1840. Such a sweat piece!!

Regards Ash

P.S. Would love to see some of your guy's clubs, maybe a little club post up?
Attached Images

ASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Royston

Nice collection.

I am not a club collector, but have always admired the Marquesas clubs and would love to have one. Great to get it authenticated as well. Congratulations.

Regards
Roy
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Dom

I agree with the comments of Roy,
I'm completely "newbie" in this field
also, I appreciate the fact that you have made ​​up their authentication
which allows me to situate them geographically

thanks to share with us

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

The 'U'u is indeed a very spendid thing how nice to have one and to show us. These are probably my best pieces in a "market" point of view, except for the over priced and fairly common New Caledonian so called bird head club. Saying that they are not as ubiquitous and vastly over priced as ulas. I have over pieces that I value for more rarity and beauty. What is intersting about these two pieces is the decoration to one side and roughness to the over. The quarterstaff is 150cm long.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH
Hello again

here's my last post of my goodies, these are the best of the bunch

-A nice 19th c. Maori taiaha. "Would love to find some more of these."

-A great parrying club called a qauata that comes from San cristobal island in the Solomon's.Good old ones like this are really hard to find. This one is quite nice with its super carved blade. And notice the stylized frigate bird motif, very cool.

-Last but not least.
Is a super rare club called a 'U'u coming from the Marquesas islands. these are probably the most coveted of all Polynesian weapons. Dr. Carol Ivory who is a leading authority and author of Marquesas art and has done extensive research on 'U'u club, was kind enough to take a look at mine. Her evaluation was that its from a rare group of clubs, that would be categorized as early transitional,Not pre-contact but not later 19th C. stuff made for sailors. She dates it to around 1840. Such a sweat piece!!

Regards Ash

P.S. Would love to see some of your guy's clubs, maybe a little club post up?
I am green with envy, beautiful clubs!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 07:52 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

ANOTHER IMPRESSIVE GROUP OF CLUBS YOU HAVE BEEN VERY FORTUNATE. HOW MANY YEARS HAVE YOU BEEN COLLECTING?
I HAVE A FEW GOOD OLD MAORI TAIAHA AND A SOLOMON IS. SHIELD CLUB AND SOME Uu BUT MY MARQUESAS CLUBS ARE NOT GOOD OLD PRE CONTACT CLUBS PROBABLY NO EARLIER THAN 1920'S. I LIKE TO PRACTICE WITH THE MAORI TAIAHA AS IT IS VERY WELL BALANCED AND FEELS GOOD WHEN MOVING THRU SIMULATED STRIKES.
I HAVE SEEN AND HANDLED A FEW OF THE TOP QUALITY PRE CONTACT CLUBS FROM THE MARQUESAS BUT WOULD HAVE HAD TO SELL EVERYTHING I OWN TO BUY ONE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 10:41 PM   #7
ASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
The 'U'u is indeed a very spendid thing how nice to have one and to show us. These are probably my best pieces in a "market" point of view, except for the over priced and fairly common New Caledonian so called bird head club. Saying that they are not as ubiquitous and vastly over priced as ulas. I have over pieces that I value for more rarity and beauty. What is intersting about these two pieces is the decoration to one side and roughness to the over. The quarterstaff is 150cm long.

Hi Tim, Love the one on the left. What is it's story? PNG?

Regards Ash
Old 26th July 2012, 11:18 PM   #8
ASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
ANOTHER IMPRESSIVE GROUP OF CLUBS YOU HAVE BEEN VERY FORTUNATE. HOW MANY YEARS HAVE YOU BEEN COLLECTING?
I HAVE A FEW GOOD OLD MAORI TAIAHA AND A SOLOMON IS. SHIELD CLUB AND SOME Uu BUT MY MARQUESAS CLUBS ARE NOT GOOD OLD PRE CONTACT CLUBS PROBABLY NO EARLIER THAN 1920'S. I LIKE TO PRACTICE WITH THE MAORI TAIAHA AS IT IS VERY WELL BALANCED AND FEELS GOOD WHEN MOVING THRU SIMULATED STRIKES.
I HAVE SEEN AND HANDLED A FEW OF THE TOP QUALITY PRE CONTACT CLUBS FROM THE MARQUESAS BUT WOULD HAVE HAD TO SELL EVERYTHING I OWN TO BUY ONE.
Hello Vandoo,
I've been collecting ethnographic art for about 10 years now. And mainly focusing on oceanic side of things.Through much time hunting and looking for deals on good pieces ,I've been lucky enough to a quire these beauties. Not having a vast amount of capital , "being an eletrician jounymen" to spend on my hobby, Its taken a great deal of saving and patience . But that makes it all the sweater, when everything comes together, finding a deal on a great piece AND having the money for it, at that same moment
Regards Ash
Old 27th July 2012, 02:07 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Great pieces - love the carvings - top notch!

Thanks for sharing.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 06:18 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

Ash, I am not sure of the origin of the quarterstaff. I am still looking for style links. I have pictures of the same form of handle end from Fiji and Tonga, I will post them as soon as I find them. There is a similarity to some PNG work but I am not at all sure it is PNG. As you have shown a Solomon Island parrying club I thought I would show this not common Niue Island club with slightly similar form. As I say far from common but I doubt it will set any market on fire.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 27th July 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Indianajones

. . . . .it sets ME on fire . . . . .(the Nieu club)!!
It looks to me as a medium between a Gilbert isld sharksword (form n ridge in the middle) and one of those parrying clubs shown by Ash (size n form).

I believe the left club from Tim with the carved squares is from New Guinea, neighbourhood of Papua gulf. Will look into it as I reckognise those squaredeco but cant put my 'finger on its exact origins' at the moment.
Greets
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH
Hello Vandoo,
I've been collecting ethnographic art for about 10 years now. And mainly focusing on oceanic side of things.Through much time hunting and looking for deals on good pieces ,I've been lucky enough to a quire these beauties. Not having a vast amount of capital , "being an eletrician jounymen" to spend on my hobby, Its taken a great deal of saving and patience . But that makes it all the sweater, when everything comes together, finding a deal on a great piece AND having the money for it, at that same moment
Regards Ash
you hit it right on the head!!!
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 09:56 PM   #13
ASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Ash, I am not sure of the origin of the quarterstaff. I am still looking for style links. I have pictures of the same form of handle end from Fiji and Tonga, I will post them as soon as I find them. There is a similarity to some PNG work but I am not at all sure it is PNG. As you have shown a Solomon Island parrying club I thought I would show this not common Niue Island club with slightly similar form. As I say far from common but I doubt it will set any market on fire.

That is one sweet club. Niue island clubs have such great form.