Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th May 2023, 08:56 PM   #1
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass

Default Cambodian - Khmer Kokok - Mak

Picked up this small old Cambodian (Khmer) P'keak - kokok - ( western name mak) recently, not often seen today with the 2 iron ring and iron wedge arrangement to hold in the blade, it is small at just 22 inches with 7 ins actual exposed blade so I think likely for female use, came with the large old sword in the same old box that is made for the sword and is likely from the same region and date, or at least it appears they were collected together.
The P'keak - kokok as you can see appears to have a date or perhaps makers mark on it, I am thinking it is possibly but not certainly 1900 to 30 French colonial period when Angkor Wat was open to the grand tour period tourists, both certainly have good age, the blade of the P'keak - Kokok is much more elaborate than that of the sword which is obviously a working type made for chopping.
Anyone out there who can tell me what the mark is ?, date or maker ?, I would be interested to know, obviously could be a makers mark but I am hoping for a date. snody
Attached Images

Last edited by Maj-Biffy Snodgrass; 12th May 2023 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added size and correct name of weapon.
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2023, 08:25 PM   #2
kronckew

For comparison, and discussion, this is my mak, which is Thai. The blade is held in place by a substantial iron pin tru a hole in the tang. Very sharp on the inner curve. The blade is undecorated.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2023, 10:39 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

And yet another Mak; this one only 20 inches overall. Blade is held in place with bamboo wedges.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2023, 11:39 PM   #4
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass

Default Mak - P'keak - Kokok

Very much like one I once had years ago and sold Rick, not sure on the name Mak for these or where it actually came from as it is not a regular name used in south east Asia for these type tool - weapon as far as I know but seems to be a western term for them, or at least they are not called mak in Thailand or the Khmer regions, the correct term for them in the Khmer regions of Thailand and Cambodia is P'keak or kokok, depending on type, but maybe the term used for them in Vietnam where they are also used is mak ??, they are not used in Burma so the name mak can not be Burmese.
That said I am always glad to hear from anyone with any ideas or other names for them, and a translation of the mark on mine would be interesting for sure. Snody
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2023, 05:57 AM   #5
wildwolberine

Just posted this one in a different thread, I’m including a photo from a National Geographic article where the term is used. Listing stated Montagnard
Attached Images

wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote