Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 20th February 2022, 10:44 PM   #1
Mickey the Finn

Default Re: Brunei Armed Forces Kris

Name:  Kris-2_RESIZED.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  287.0 KB

Not a keris, per se, but interesting just the same. The full article, and the original source of the posted photo can be viewed at:
https://www.tactical-life.com/tactic...d-forces-kris/

The article states, "The blade is of 420 stainless with a black Fluoralon coating on the example I have. Polished stainless versions are available as well".

The article does not disclose where the Brunei Armed Forces Kris may be obtained. If anyone has more information, a PM would be appreciated.

Mickey
Mickey the Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2022, 11:22 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, this reviewer (if that is what this is), seems pretty confused in a few fronts.

"When I first heard about the Brunei Armed Forces Knife, I was immediately anxious to learn more about it. The knife itself is a modern take on the traditional Malay kris. Many who have only seen the cheap bazaar samples of the kris brought back from World War II, normally with loose handles and blades worn from much cleaning, may find it difficult to think of it as a serious military blade. But remember, the kris killed a lot of U.S. troops during the Philippine Insurrection (though this type of knife is often known as a “kalis” in the Philippines). Although many think of the kris as having the wavy blade, there are also those with a straight blade. Both types are intended primarily for thrusting."
When I first heard about the Brunei Armed Forces Knife, I was immediately anxious to learn more about it. The knife itself is a modern take on the traditional Malay kris. Many who have only seen the cheap bazaar samples of the kris brought back from World War II, normally with loose handles and blades worn from much cleaning, may find it difficult to think of it as a serious military blade. But remember, the kris killed a lot of U.S. troops during the Philippine Insurrection (though this type of knife is often known as a “kalis” in the Philippines). Although many think of the kris as having the wavy blade, there are also those with a straight blade. Both types are intended primarily for thrusting."

Firstly he assumes this is a modern take on the "Malay kris". He then goes on to show he is obviously confused about the difference between the Malay keris and the Moro kris. I would imagine that this is probably a short form take on the Moro kris. He also shows little understanding of the Malay keris when he cites their "Loose handles and blades worn by cleaning" and refers to them and "cheap".
All that said, this is a mass-produced blade, even if it is loosely based upon an ethnographic form so it's a bit outside our bailiwick. I would recommend that you best bet if you are having trouble finding this for sale somewhere would be to contact the folks who wrote the article rather than asking a group of ethnographic weapons collectors.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2022, 01:14 PM   #3
kronckew

Interesting that the photo in the OP's ref. link of the Philippine Armed Forces use of the kris/kalis is actually of their Marines using their ginuntings, with their cross guard and knuckle bow...The photo file title also lists it as Phil Mar Reco (Philippine Marine Recon). A whole other kettle of fish. A 'tactical' black version below (they also come in polished and longer and also guardless or knucklebowless versions. No Brunei connection. Marketing puffing?
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 21st February 2022 at 01:38 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2022, 01:16 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

This is a modern knife. I have no clear confirmation it is a Brunei Army knife. The shield labeled "BRUNEI" alone doesn't persuade me. Even so, it is not our habit to discuss current military arms in this forum, so I'm sending it over to the Ethnographic Miscellaneous Forum for any further discussion.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2022, 01:18 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I must admit, this one had me scratching my head when I saw it.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote