Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th February 2021, 07:11 PM   #1
Athanase

Default Very large (East?) Javanese Keris for Comments

Hello

When I bought this Kriss, I didn't pay attention to the dimensions. So I was very surprised by its size when I received it.

The blade is 45.5 long, the Ganja is 10cm wide and the base of the Pesi is 1.1cm in diameter.
The Selut is in silver alloy.
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 07:35 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, i'll take a stab at this and suggest the blade is possibly Tuban, if for no other reason than the rather large (for a Javanese keris) size.
The hilt cup is a mismatch though. It is both too large for this hilt and not the correct style. I would recommend replacing it with a proper mendak.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 07:43 PM   #3
Athanase

So far I have never seen a mendak or selut with an opening wide enough for a Pesi of 1cm in diameter. I think I'll take a while to find.
Old 18th February 2021, 07:10 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

This is an interesting keris.

There are several things that strike the eye immediately upon seeing this keris:-

Wilah

the front of the gandhik is slightly concave

the gonjo is inclined to be thin and with only a very slight curve

the tikel alis is the old style that proceeds to the front of the gandhik

the material appears to be coarse and the pamor looks as if it has been "smeared" over the surface; this material would require close examination under magnification before any conclusions could be drawn.

it looks as if there is a rudimentary ada-ada

The slightly concave gandhik front is associated with West Jawa more than any other location, it is fairly common in West Jawa keris and seldom found in Central Jawa & East Jawa

Gonjo

The thin, flat gonjo is a Pajajaran tell, the sirah cecak has been damaged, but if it can be imagined as undamaged a Pajajaran classification could be supported, and the same is true of the buntut urang.

Wrongko

The down turned lip at the front of the atasan is associated with areas west of Tegal, there is a similar style associated with Blambangan, but here it is not as pronounced as in the example under discussion, and the same is true of a similar Balinese style.

Questions

Is the cross section of the body of the blade smoothly curved on its faces, or is there evidence of a slight ridge at its center?

The blade is within length parameters for a Javanese blade, and it is relatively broad, but is this blade also thick? Does it feel heavy or is it light in the hand? Is it lively and easily moved or is it a weight that requires a conscious hand movement? To judge this the keris needs to be held with thumb & index finger pinching the blumbangan and the gonjo resting on the index finger, with the hilt itself only loosely held, the blade more or less supported on the index finger as a fulcrum point.

Is the blade a reasonably good fit to the wrongko , maybe a bit sloppy, but that sloppiness able to be attributed to wear rather than to a poor refit?
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2021, 10:46 AM   #5
Athanase

I do not see any trace of a central ridge on the blade.

In the middle of the blade the thickness is about 5mm

By manipulating the blade, we feel its weight weighing a little on the wrist.

The wrangka fit is very good. On the other hand the gandar is very damaged, the interior is totally eaten away by worms and very fragile because it is hollow. The black spots that we see on the scabbard are from old repairs where the holes were filled with putty.
Old 18th February 2021, 11:12 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Thanks Athanase.

So the faces of the blade are smooth curves?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote