Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th July 2015, 01:59 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default SHORT ALGERIAN KABYLE

I recently picked this up for next to nothing in a local auction. Overall length 38" with a 23" smoothbore barrel.
I suspect that the barrel is of European origin.....does anyone recognise the marks?
Also can anyone please translate the "script" on the barrel......it may just be decorative squiggle, but then it may not.
Comments welcome.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 09:01 AM   #2
BANDOOK

HI STU SAW THIS COUPLE OF WEEKENDS BACK AT WELLINGTON,WERE YOU THERE FOR THE GUN AUCTION?
ITS TRANSLATES TO NOSTRAT ALLAH [A PERSONS NAME]
CANNOT SEE THE OTHER SIDE IF YOU SHOW ANOTHER PICTURE I CAN TELL YOU WHATS IS WRITTEN
REGARDS RAJESH
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 12:17 PM   #3
rickystl

Hi Stu
An interesting Algerian Kabyle gun. It has the less encountered French style Flintlock vs the more common Toe-Lock Miquelet. In this case it is likely both the lock and barrel were both European made, and decorated locally.
Originally a long gun, this one has been shortened (some call it sportorized) in a common manner done to European military muskets during the period. Which makes me think that this gun may have been owned/used by a European during it's latter life. Only one I've seen shortened in this manner. Interesting. And still retaining it's rear sling ring. Neat gun.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 08:15 PM   #4
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
HI STU SAW THIS COUPLE OF WEEKENDS BACK AT WELLINGTON,WERE YOU THERE FOR THE GUN AUCTION?
ITS TRANSLATES TO NOSTRAT ALLAH [A PERSONS NAME]
CANNOT SEE THE OTHER SIDE IF YOU SHOW ANOTHER PICTURE I CAN TELL YOU WHATS IS WRITTEN
REGARDS RAJESH
Hi Rajesh,
Correct.... it came from Wellington.....postal bid. Thanks for the translation. The script on the other side is too faint to be clearly seen so have not posted a pic. Will try to enhance it but don't have much hope.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote