Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th April 2007, 11:26 PM   #1
G. McCormack

Default Best place to buy swords?

If travel costs and political unrest weren't factors, where would you guys go to buy swords?
G. McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Yannis

London
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 03:11 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

I would think that would depend completely upon the type of sword one wanted to buy.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

It depends a bit, as in several countries you can buy an antic weapon, but you can’t export it, so if you go abroad to buy weapons, make sure you can get them out of the country in a legal way – before you buy.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Freddy

Arrow

As to weapons from Congo, I think you would find the best pieces in the attic of an elderly person who used to live there. You can't imagine what turns up now and again. Mostly, these pieces come onto the market when the person dies and his relatives clear the house.
The trick is to be the first !

Unfortunately, nowadays a lot of copies and/or newer pieces can be found on the internet.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 06:02 PM   #6
G. McCormack

Yannis, you say London.. do you mean at auctions?

Jens thats a good point. Have you had problems with this in the past?

Also, does anybody know of specific countries that are good or bad for finding weapons that originated there? For instance, if I were looking for Japanese swords I would think that educated dealers and collectors coupled with strict laws would make it unlikely to find many garage-sale deals
I'm sure few broad statements can be made, I'm just interested in hearing of peoples experiences
Old 7th April 2007, 06:55 PM   #7
Emanuel

In Japan, all nihon-to must be registered with a state ministry by law. So I think it's pretty much impossible to find a good sword at a garage sale, when there are plenty of formal venues to sell one for big bucks. I think a while ago the US was a good source for such blades, but due to the popularization of Japanese swords in the media, even the oldest vet will have some idea of the value of a bring-back.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 08:46 PM   #8
RhysMichael

As was noted it depends on what you are looking for but I have had good luck with England and the Netherlands by mail and would love to get over to either of them to poke around in the antique shops
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Jens Nordlunde

No, I have avoided buying weapons in countries with strict restrictions, besides, what I collect is said to be more expensive in the homeland than in London – if the quality is right.

What kind of weapons are you looking for?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 09:52 AM   #10
Yannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
what I collect is said to be more expensive in the homeland than in London – if the quality is right.
That is true. Lot more expensive. I said London for few reasons: They had an empire. They had lot of travelers around the world last 300 years. Collecting was mass habit. Lot of auctions, flee markets and antique shops.

Exporting an item is a pain. Importing it in some countries is more pain. Not for England. So

Rule Britannia... Britannia rule the blades!
Old 8th April 2007, 04:37 PM   #11
HUSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
It depends a bit, as in several countries you can buy an antic weapon, but you can’t export it, so if you go abroad to buy weapons, make sure you can get them out of the country in a legal way – before you buy.
to export anything out of Poland what is pre 1945 is just a pain... so better do not buy here
HUSAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 03:27 PM   #12
josh stout

If I could go anywhere I would go to Afghanistan. I have heard of wootz pieces going for well under $100.

If that was too dangerous I would go to Indonesia, but remember to watch out for fakes.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 03:00 PM   #13
Matt Easton

I live in London, so it's maybe hard for me to be objective. But I was surprised that London came up so favourably. And then I thought about it - yes there is a LOT of stuff here. But not nearly as much as there was 15 years ago. People seem to keep more and sell less now, I guess more people here have more money now. Our arms fairs seem to get less and less exciting each year. And I frequently get things cheaper on Ebay UK than in actual shops here. I go to shops to look. I go to Ebay to buy. At least on lower value stuff. And a lot of my favourite UK dealers are actually not in London (not to mention Wallace and Wallace auctions).

Of places outside the UK I have found good stuff - Nice in southern France has quite a few antique dealers with interesting things, and surprisingly not too expensive. France has quite a lot of good African and Asian antique arms for the same reason as Britain - the Empire factor. If I'm buying online then America and Canada are good now, because the currency is so weak compared to the British Pound and Euro. Postage isn;t even so bad as it used to be. And I take a certain pride in importing weapons from the colonies and back to the heart of the Empire.
Matt Easton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 03:41 PM   #14
Spunjer

Quote:
And I take a certain pride in importing weapons from the colonies and back to the heart of the Empire.

feel the same in a roundabout way... as i do about collecting filipino weapons. ya might as well call me the Repo Man
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 06:00 PM   #15
Battara
EAAF Staff

Diddo.....
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 10:15 PM   #16
Matt Easton

I hate political correctness and it's refreshing to see a bit of unapologetic Imperialism.

Matt
Matt Easton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 02:56 PM   #17
G. McCormack

Unapologetic Imperialism eh???

Interesting responses from everyone. Its interesting that one can often find better prices in this global ebay-era market than in little shops in the country of origin. Here in my region its said that gun shows used to be great for Japanese swords...maybe 20 years ago. Afraid I missed out on that. But Philipino weapons seem much more available in this area.
Josh it certainly would be neat to buy wootz from places like Afghanistan; if one could do with a modicum of safety.

Why is it that so many of the places that made my favourite swords are current hotspots of violent activity???
Old 13th April 2007, 04:18 AM   #18
ariel

Several years ago, I did quite well in Budapest: they have a slew of antique shops near Kalman Imre street . There were nice old Hungarian swords, tons of yataghans, kilijes etc.
The prices were ~ half of the then-prevailing e-bay prices and many sellers had no idea what they were talking about ( every buyer's dream!).
It must have changed since.....

Detroit Gun and Knife shows used to be good, but going to Detroit is like roaming around Waziristan and waving Stars and Stripes
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 08:21 AM   #19
Yannis

Ah, Ariel, why you remind me Budapest! I was there a dozen years ago and I had found some excellent swords but I had no knowledge and I was not so addicted like today, so I didn’t get them.
Later a lot of times I am thinking of these swords. Now you open again an old wound.
Also I still dream the fine shamshir I didn’t get the same era from Istanbul. Today I could kill for that. BTW Istanbul now has triple prices than London.
Old 21st April 2007, 10:19 PM   #20
BBJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh stout
If I could go anywhere I would go to Afghanistan. I have heard of wootz pieces going for well under $100.

If that was too dangerous I would go to Indonesia, but remember to watch out for fakes.
Josh
There are some good items in Afghanistan (see my post), but not that cheap. Afghans barter harder for blades than guns.

bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 05:24 PM   #21
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannis
Ah, Ariel, why you remind me Budapest! I was there a dozen years ago and I had found some excellent swords but I had no knowledge and I was not so addicted like today, so I didn’t get them.
Later a lot of times I am thinking of these swords. Now you open again an old wound.
Also I still dream the fine shamshir I didn’t get the same era from Istanbul. Today I could kill for that. BTW Istanbul now has triple prices than London.

About 4 years ago I was in Istanbul, at the Market. Went to the antique weapons section: about 10 stores, all filled with expensive fakes, even more expensive "combination" and " reworked" pieces , some atrocities (shashka with soft iron blade embellished with a panoply of bizarre symbols), and awfully expensive low to middle-class authentic pieces. A rusty shamshir ( non-Damascus) with semi-intact scabbard was offered for $12,000.
Budapest...... I share your depression about not splurging there... A yataghan with a karabela handle for $300, a Hungarian Kilij for $600... I got there something, no doubt and my only justification for not getting more was the size of our luggage. Come to think of it, I could have bought another suitcase or used mail service... Moron
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 07:12 PM   #22
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. McCormack
Here in my region its said that gun shows used to be great for Japanese swords...maybe 20 years ago. Afraid I missed out on that. But Philipino weapons seem much more available in this area.
What area are you in? Maybe we can talk - until then, I see PI/Moro and Japanese still around at the gun shows here in town.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote