Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th July 2015, 09:45 AM   #1
johnrwatkin

Default Sarawak Lantaka or Bronze Cannon

I acquired this Lantaka when serving with the Royal Marine Commandos in Sarawak in the late 1960’s. Since then, this 38.6 kilogram lump of bronze has travelled the world with me, much to the irritation of my family!

When I bought it from a longhouse on the border between Sarawak and Indonesia, the headman assured me that it was over 200 years old! He also told me that, during the Japanese occupation of Sarawak during WW2, thousands of Lantaka were confiscated and shipped back to Japan for smelting down for the armaments industry. Many of the surviving Lantaka spent the war buried in the jungle! I understand that in recent years, exporting Lantaka from Sarawak and Brunei is prohibited.

It is a very nice bronze cannon with a 3.5 centimetre bore, is 122.5 centimetres long, and is cast with leaf and flower motifs typical of Borneo. It is in fine condition with obvious age and an excellent patina.

It has an elongated cascabel, a breech cast as an open lotus from which the barrel extends and a muzzle that flares with another petal motif. The top of the barrel is cast with a series of flower and leaf motifs. The swivel is cast with more leaf motifs.

So – any comments or thoughts? Any ideas on how old this might be? Is it a good example or just a fairly ordinary example of a Lantaka?
Attached Images

johnrwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 04:07 AM   #2
BANDOOK

THATS A BEAUTIFUL LANTAKA,AND THE PROVENANCE IS IMPORTANT AS IN YOUR CASE AM SURE IT HAS GOOD AGE TO IT,CHEERS

Last edited by BANDOOK; 5th July 2015 at 05:30 AM.
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 04:46 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice example!

It really does look like it is from Borneo. Borneo pieces sometimes share some motifs with Moro lantana in form, but they also sometimes have panels like this one on top (Moro ones generally do not) and share other aspects of Indonesian lantaka. Looks like the real deal to me. And again you have provenance.

Write down and keep this history with the lantaka.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 06:02 PM   #4
kino

Nice lantaka. Thanks for sharing.
How about the cannon stand? Did it come originally with the lantaka?
Can you post photos of the stand?
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 01:19 AM   #5
johnrwatkin

Thanks for the comments guys. I bought the stand in Kuching, Sarawak in 1987 when I returned for an extended visit. I don't think it is old - a 1970's/80's locally made lantaka display stand. I am travelling at the moment and don't get home until Sunday - I will take and post some photos of the stand then.
johnrwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote