Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd August 2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Half Moon

Default Building a Kaskara

Hello all;

This is my first post.

I have become interested in weapons of the Sudan, Khyber pass, South Africa and others through my interest in Victoria's Wars. I have a small collection that I hope to expand as needed.

While researching Sudanese Kaskaras, I realized that it might be fun to build a wall-hanger version. Mostly to give me something to do once it gets cooler around these parts. I haven't found any really good photos of a couple of areas of detail that are giving me trouble.

Primarily, I'd like to know how the pommels are attached to the handles? Do they use some form of glue, tacks or are they friction fit?

Also, the suspension rings on the scabbard, how are they attached? The metal rings appear to be attached to something (bone, wood, leather) that is on the scabbard itself?

Any help that can be provided would be appreciated.
Wallace.
Half Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Wallace ,
Here's a detailed picture with both hilt and suspension ring shown .

I believe the scabbard mounts may be thicker leather with a different, lighter hide band tacked over it .

Rick
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up

Fortunately - for your purposes - some of my kaskara scabbards are in poor repair. Interestingly, on two of these scabbards it may be seen that the bulk of the suspension mount is made of layers of fabric. The fabric is then overlain by the overall outer covering leather layer and then a further applied decorative leather layer may be added on top of this.
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 12:04 AM   #4
Half Moon

Thumbs up

WOW! Rick and Lee those help a lot. I feel like Leeuwenhoek looking through a microscope for the first time.

The fabric wrapping looks interesting. I wonder if it was not only cheap, but acted like plywood? The several layers making a stronger loop.

Rick, on your scabbard, does it look as if the mount is over wrapped by the main leather covering (under the lighter band), or does the main covering abut the mount, similar to how Lee‘s middle scabbard looks?

I’m still not sure about the pommel though. What’s under the plug on the end? Or is that the end of the handle? The disc appears to be leather wrapped?

True thanks for some great info,
Wallace
Old 24th August 2010, 04:14 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Wallace,

The leather sheath cover overlaps the thicker suspension ring band .
I would damage it if I pulled it back .

The suspension rings on this scabbard are triangular in cross section and probably German Silver , decorated and welded or soldered .

I'm as confused as you about the hilt construction; the pommel does seem a ring most likely wood . How they wrapped and capped it on the hilt I just cannot figure out; but, at least you have a picture .

Here is a link to the complete sword .
http://www.oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=1967

Rick
Old 24th August 2010, 06:15 AM   #6
fearn

Hi Rick,

Is the pommel something like a washer, nailed on (or peened on) to the hilt? That would work, if the blade had a rat-tailed tang and didn't go all the way through the hilt, and the pommel was stuck on with the equivalent of a tack, perhaps also holding the wrap in place..

One thing to think about is that the Saharans traditionally didn't have much wood to work with, so it makes sense that they would use fabric (especially wool) and leather to make as much of the piece as possible.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Fearn, I have no idea how the pommel was finessed on there; all is covered with leather and I can't see any tacks .
Old 24th August 2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Lew
(deceased)

The pommel has a peg or nail that is inserted sideways through the hilt.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 04:58 PM   #9
katana

Hi Wallace,
you'll find this picture (xray) quite useful Originally posted by Stephen Wood......

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up

I have found obvious cross-pins securing the hilt on two kaskara hilts (seen in the top picture below); another which has lost its leather covering and is bare wood (not shown) has no evidence of one.

The bottom picture shows two hilts where the pommel appears to be made up of layers of wound leather.
Attached Images

Old 24th August 2010, 10:01 PM   #11
fearn

Good to see I got it half right, with the rat-tailed tang. Great pics!

One last question: is the pommel build up of leather (spiral wrapping with a leather washer on top), or is it wood?

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 10:49 PM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Fearn, mine is wood .
Old 24th August 2010, 11:43 PM   #13
Half Moon

Thumbs up

I'm amazed. I have been going over this project/idea for at least a month now and my brick walls are crumbling down all at once. In some respects I have been overthinking the construction and seeing how they are really built is wonderfully eye opening. In many ways I was just wrong in my reverse engineering. They are so simple, yet somewhere in the simplicity is genius. Thanks to all who have taken the time to take and post pics, and to those who asked questions I had before I did. It's neat to know I'm not the only one who likes to mentally tear apart everything.

One last question, the scabbards themselves, are leather covered wood?

It'll probably be a month or so before I really get started but I'll keep you guys appraised of the project once I start, if you like. Now I can spend the next month planning instead of figuring. Much gratitude.
Wallace
Old 25th August 2010, 01:14 AM   #14
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Mine is leather; no wood .
Old 25th August 2010, 05:26 PM   #15
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up

I think all of my kaskara scabbards are predominantly made of leather with some occasional fabric - no evidence of the rigidity I would associate with wood. Metal is used to cover the tip and for the rings.

Fearn, the pommel in my picture above on the left is indeed a concentric buildup of wrapped thin leather - and I suspect the one on the right was of this same construction.

Half Moon, one of the joys I find in collecting and observing old traditional weapons is the ingenuity with which the makers have adapted to the materials, often of limited quality, available to them.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:21 PM   #16
Half Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I think all of my kaskara scabbards are predominantly made of leather with some occasional fabric - no evidence of the rigidity I would associate with wood. Metal is used to cover the tip and for the rings.
I really wasn't expecting they are made of leather only. I'm glad I asked. They look from the pictures to be very rigid so I assumed they were leather covered wood.

Quote:
Half Moon, one of the joys I find in collecting and observing old traditional weapons is the ingenuity with which the makers have adapted to the materials, often of limited quality, available to them.
Absolutely. Anytime I buy some new collectable I spend hours scouring it with magnifying glasses, loupes and just feeling it. I love knowing how things work even if it's just a pit in a blade, I have to know how it got there.

Thanks again,
Wallace