Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th February 2016, 05:34 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Two Asaam Naga Blades That Will Win No Beauty Contests!

I think these two Assam Naga swords are two of the least aesthetically pleasing in the world of ethnographic blades. Perhaps it is for that reason that I find them so interesting. Both blades are pictured below and both are generically referred to as "daos" by Rawsom in The Indian Sword. The top sword is also referenced by Egerton in his Indian and Oriental Arms and Armor.

Some details about each:

The top sword is sometimes referred to as a "two handed sword", but is just as comfortable by weight and length in one hand. Both sides of the blade are sharp, so it can be held with blade forward as in the photo of a Naga warrior, or blade curved back, a little like a Dyak parang pandit or parang latok. The sword is forged from one piece of steel with a separate guard decorated with hair tufts(supposedly for "kills", but doubtful...if every hair tuft on Naga weapons represented a "kill", there would be no one left in Assam). The hilt is comparatively unfinished and roughly forged. It handles awkwardly in the hand because of the flat sides and it seems like it would be very easy for a hard knock against it to be very painful for the holder or easily knocked out of his hand. Rawsom attributes these dao types to the Garo Nagas(page 58), while Egerton attributes them to the Angami Nagas(pages 84 & 90, plate 199).

Dimensions:
Overall length: 32in.
Blade length: 18.5in, with only the upper 14in. of both sides being sharpened.
Blade width: 1.75in.

The second sword may just as easily not be called a "sword" at all and seems to act more as a sharpened pick-axe. The blade here is only 12in. long with only the last 4 inches of underside being sharp along with the "pick". The thick six-sided forte give the short sword a good balance. The brass hilt holds the first three fingers with the thumb wrapped against the rattan and enclosed by the guard, with the 'pinky' finger wrapped around the pommel and protected by the open-ended element of the guard. This one is far more comfortable to hold than the first example. Rawsom attributes this type to the Garo Naga (page 58). Egerton makes no mention of this type at all in his text or drawings.

Dimensions:
Overall length: 16.5in.
Blade length: 12in.
Width of the swollen end of the blade: 2.5in.

Comments welcomed, and pics of additional examples welcomed as well!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 5th February 2016 at 07:48 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 10:36 PM   #2
drac2k

I don't know about that ;they would come in first and second respectively in my beauty pageant . Great pieces and 2 on my bucket list .
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 04:35 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE OLD POST ON NAGA WEAPONS BY VANDOO HAS A COMPREHENSIVE COLLECTION. I TRIED TO POST THE LINK BUT HAD NO LUCK.

Last edited by VANDOO; 6th February 2016 at 05:09 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 07:54 AM   #4
colin henshaw

Very nice pieces, and quite rare too. Congratulations...

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" !
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
THE OLD POST ON NAGA WEAPONS BY VANDOO HAS A COMPREHENSIVE COLLECTION. I TRIED TO POST THE LINK BUT HAD NO LUCK.

Hello Barry,

here it is: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=naga
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 08:42 AM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" !
Agree, maybe not real beauties but most interesting and unusual weapons. Congrats Charles!

Regards,
Detlef
Old 6th February 2016, 12:48 PM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Great pieces Charles, I wish I never parted with the little one with its basket that I traded with Tim years ago...I've never been able to replace it.
Kachin and Naga weapons are some of my favourites in my collections.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 05:13 PM   #8
dennee

A lot of weapons, and by extension, peoples, get lumped together as "Nagas," not to the benefit of clarity of understanding either. For instance, the typical Kachin dao, also found among the Khamtis and which probably got to the eastern Nagas by trade, seem to be called "Naga" almost exclusively by dealers. These two are perhaps more appropriately known as knives or swords of the Kukis and the Garos. The distinction is certainly meaningful among those hill tribes, who frequently don't get along.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 05:21 PM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennee
A lot of weapons, and by extension, peoples, get lumped together as "Nagas," not to the benefit of clarity of understanding either. For instance, the typical Kachin dao, also found among the Khamtis and which probably got to the eastern Nagas by trade, seem to be called "Naga" almost exclusively by dealers.
Very well said!
Old 6th February 2016, 06:07 PM   #10
ariel

Here are mine.
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote